Social media and personal circumstances

I'm of the opinion that forums have a limited time and social media will one day replace them.

I come from a forum background and hold a high staff position on one of the biggest online, but having dabbled in all I can see the uptake and appeal of a social media and being able to switch between many different groups and the like with ease and not being tied to just one forum.

I have noticed more people using FB less than before all this started, and friends I've spoken to have said they use it less for the same reason(s) the OP mentioned. Me personally, I haven't used it less, but I have had to remove a few people from my friends list who went down that same conspiracy theory rabbit hole or started posting pics/videos that are blatantly xenophobic (which of course is denied, and they insist it's because they "love Britain"), as well as those that just wanted to be particularly argumentative about COVID, BLM, Brexit, etc. So in a way I look at it as a good thing as you get to weed out a few of the rotten/rotting apples that can, if left unattended, start to impact your well-being. I feel fairly unaffected by it all mostly, although it is sad when it's someone you thought was smarter than that, and now probably won't speak to again...

EDIT: One of the thing's people have said to me they use it less for is because they feel that it's not representative of real life, and people only post the good things that happen and not when things go wrong or bad. That's something I'm aware of: people using it as a gloating/boasting platform, whilst hiding the less desirable parts of their life - which really isn't lying to other people so much as lying to yourself. I post anything and everything: from when I'm happy about the way things are, and how I feel, to when something's gone tits up or I'm not feeling my best. I feel it's important to maintain the balance and not just present a one-sided view of life, which really isn't the full picture.

Last edited:
I hate the term influencer, it sounds so self-important to me.

You not rushing out to buy this then?

1622752538507.png

I'm of the opinion that forums have a limited time and social media will one day replace them.

I come from a forum background and hold a high staff position on one of the biggest online, but having dabbled in all I can see the uptake and appeal of a social media and being able to switch between many different groups and the like with ease and not being tied to just one forum.

I agree. Much of my early "internet life" was on forums; mainly music and car forums, and most of them are dead or ghost towns as Facebook groups (for the same forums) have taken over

I agree. Much of my early "internet life" was on forums; mainly music and car forums, and most of them are dead or ghost towns as Facebook groups (for the same forums) have taken over

not they matt c...mr cat here :D

There's one vital ingredient that a forum does very well, and what makes it infinitely better than social media, especially Twitter.

And that is moderation.

Twitter in particular is a cesspit of uncontrolled, sometimes disgusting and very damaging comments. The auto moderation does not work, and it's seemingly impossible to moderate by humans. Maybe that's what most of its inhabitants like about it.
Facebook also has some dark corners and inappropriate things that I was surprised they allow to go on.

So it would be a shame to see forums like this cease to exist, because I think it's a very safe and generally friendly environment to exchange views.

yes, facebook as a whole is a sham, but some of the pages have decent moderators, but it's very dependent on them, and from my experience it's quite cliche(?) - and most only have only a few people..but I'm only on local / historian groups as it stands...

There's one vital ingredient that a forum does very well, and what makes it infinitely better than social media, especially Twitter.

And that is moderation.

Twitter in particular is a cesspit of uncontrolled, sometimes disgusting and very damaging comments. The auto moderation does not work, and it's seemingly impossible to moderate by humans. Maybe that's what most of its inhabitants like about it.
Facebook also has some dark corners and inappropriate things that I was surprised they allow to go on.

So it would be a shame to see forums like this cease to exist, because I think it's a very safe and generally friendly environment to exchange views.
Interesting point about moderation. I see where you're coming from about Twitter but Facebook, if you pretty much stick to your own bubble is even better than forums because you can moderate it yourself, for whatever reason, to suit what you want out of it. Don't like someones comment on your status? Delete the post, mute them, unfriend them, block them, whatever.

This is a interesting post and I agree with all of it . Other than the fact that I wouldn't think if this site as social media.
Now I'm more than likely wrong by definition ? But then I don't understand Facebook anyway.

To me this isn't the same as Facebook as I talk to strangers here and wouldn't on Facebook but also the lack of pictures and updates etc I find so much better.
I did a quick Google search on the definition of social media and found this:

"Websites and applications that enable users to create and share content or to participate in social networking."

Okay, I don't know if there's any social networking going on on here, but we definitely create and share content, be that opinions, links, memes, videos and photos.

I'm not on Twitter and barely use Facebook on a monthly basis, but the impression I get of both is that they are huge and unwieldy beasts which can easily take over your life if you're not vigilant about it.

YouTube is seen as a social media site and it's one I enjoy very much. But again, it's so easy to go down a rabbit hole with clicking on videos in the sidebar that hours can pass and you haven't moved out of your chair (well, it does for me!).

This site is plenty enough for me. It's smaller, it's well-Moderated, most of the Members seem to be on the more mature side and less likely to lash out with abuse if they disagree. The only downside (for me) is that it is dominated by men - our viewpoint, our outlook, our experiences - but that has changed slightly thanks to mass migration from another site this year.

I did a quick Google search on the definition of social media and found this:

"Websites and applications that enable users to create and share content or to participate in social networking."

Okay, I don't know if there's any social networking going on on here, but we definitely create and share content, be that opinions, links, memes, videos and photos.

I'm not on Twitter and barely use Facebook on a monthly basis, but the impression I get of both is that they are huge and unwieldy beasts which can easily take over your life if you're not vigilant about it.

YouTube is seen as a social media site and it's one I enjoy very much. But again, it's so easy to go down a rabbit hole with clicking on videos in the sidebar that hours can pass and you haven't moved out of your chair (well, it does for me!).

This site is plenty enough for me. It's smaller, it's well-Moderated, most of the Members seem to be on the more mature side and less likely to lash out with abuse if they disagree. The only downside (for me) is that it is dominated by men - our viewpoint, our outlook, our experiences - but that has changed slightly thanks to mass migration from another site this year.

yes, i noticed you (and at least one other male, scottish haha) have come alive with the influx of women from DS...it's not a dating site haha

Interesting point about moderation. I see where you're coming from about Twitter but Facebook, if you pretty much stick to your own bubble is even better than forums because you can moderate it yourself, for whatever reason, to suit what you want out of it. Don't like someones comment on your status? Delete the post, mute them, unfriend them, block them, whatever.

I've learned from bitter experience, never to say anything controversial on Facebook.

yes, i noticed you (and at least one other male, scottish haha) have come alive with the influx of women from DS...it's not a dating site haha
Er, okay....

I am very pleased we're not a dating site, I have zero interest in dating anybody.

My point was that we get different perspectives and viewpoints from women. You're right in that the site has come alive thanks to the influx of new Members, though they've had to adapt to being in different surroundings and not bring their previous posting style with them.

I've learned from bitter experience, never to say anything controversial on Facebook.
Yes, to be honest, it's good that Facebook have finally started cracking down on hate speech but unfortunately they have really messed up by doing it on the cheap by relying on algorythms. Never had any problems before but have had three short bans in the last year and those were for completely uncontrovertial comments with the slanderous reason given as "racist hate speech." No idea what was racist or hate speech about me saying that I wasn't looking forward to school parent evenings in the future but there you go. :confused:

Yes, to be honest, it's good that Facebook have finally started cracking down on hate speech but unfortunately they have really messed up by doing it on the cheap by relying on algorythms. Never had any problems before but have had three short bans in the last year and those were for completely uncontrovertial comments with the slanderous reason given as "racist hate speech." No idea what was racist or hate speech about me saying that I wasn't looking forward to school parent evenings in the future but there you go. :confused:

Just to be clear, I don't use hate speech on Facebook, or anywhere else. I was meaning that it can cause relationship problems if you have a major disagreement. And of course we know that de-friending someone is a mortal insult! :)

Just to be clear, I don't use hate speech on Facebook, or anywhere else. I was meaning that it can cause relationship problems if you have a major disagreement. And of course we know that de-friending someone is a mortal insult! :)
Oh yes, I agree. Was at a family Christmas party a couple of years ago and it all kicked off with an uncle on the other side of the country on Facebook. Was ridiculous sitting there while everyone was frantically posting on Facebook on their phone. It's not exactly unusual for something to kick off a bit at Christmas but no idea what the point of it is doing it on there. We all know my uncle is a drunk and a crap dad, no idea why everyone who is nothing to do with it, on Facebook, needs to know that too.

And that is moderation.

Which is quite ironic considering the recent large exodus of members from a certain forum that was read out in a recently locked thread here.

Much as above, if the group/page is a cesspit of doom, then it is quite easy to move to a group/page that enjoys stronger moderation and filters.

One of the things I've noticed since using AVF pretty much exclusively for the past decade or so (I've dabbled in FB, never used Twitter) is that you can make your point and other people on the forum will either agree or disagree, explaining clearly (for the most part) what their viewpoint is and why it differs from your own. You can have an actual discussion.

Which imo gives AVF a more 'family feel' - whilst every single member here is a stranger to me, there are certain members whose opinion I respect more than others, whose sense of humour I find an affinity with and so on.
My experience of FB and what I've seen of other social media platforms is that they are still (and always) have revolved around a 'drive-by' kind of posting. People you've never heard of before or even seen online before can just read another person's post and reply with comments that aren't any real use or value.

Ref; Influencers - some people need to look in the mirror and ask themselves 'Am I an influencee?' - if so, if you really buy a face cream because some good looking girl on Twitter tells you how 'amaaaaazing' it is, then you need to go outside and give yourself a slap.

Which is quite ironic considering the recent large exodus of members from a certain forum that was read out in a recently locked thread here.

Well I've no idea what happened on that other forum, but I guess the word I was missing from my statement was "fair" moderation. I agree over moderation can actually drive people away, which will not please the site owner at all.

My experience of FB and what I've seen of other social media platforms is that they are still (and always) have revolved around a 'drive-by' kind of posting. People you've never heard of before or even seen online before can just read another person's post and reply with comments that aren't any real use or value.

'drive by' posting. Like it. That's exactly how I'd describe Twitter.

I'm on facebook, but only on a few closed groups.

Yesterday I posted a question about a problem I was having with one of my radios, I received a few answers and carrying out some tests I found I had a faulty mic.

I commented on the group that I'd found what the problems was and I'd contact the supplier this morning.

I've just rung him and didn't even need to give my name, he said straight away return the mic and I'll send you a new one. Facebook can work for good, it's just how you use it, I've received and given advice on the operation of the radio I'm using and it's good to be able to help people who are encountering problems I've had and resolved.

I don't use any social media for anything else though as I'd just get angry from the content if things I've read here are as bad as reported.

Er, okay....

I am very pleased we're not a dating site, I have zero interest in dating anybody.

My point was that we get different perspectives and viewpoints from women. You're right in that the site has come alive thanks to the influx of new Members, though they've had to adapt to being in different surroundings and not bring their previous posting style with them.
I'd love to know how people know new posters are male or female?
I think that's why I prefer it here to FB , you don't know who you're talking to .

Why is that important? Genuine question.
I just find people to be more honest . I feel that on some sites conformity is high and people don't really say what they think .
But then i haven't been on FB in about 8 years.
Perhaps that's all changed now.

Yes I agree people do seem to be very honest here but also respectful of differing opinions (in the main).

Why is that important? Genuine question.

For me, it's about focusing on and responding 'blindly' to the post and the opinions expressed within it, rather than me registering the source of the post first and maybe tempering my response accordingly, if you understand what I mean.

Last edited:

And that is moderation.

"Moderation", when done properly, can indeed work and provide a good environment to use but I think that in itself has it's highs and lows.

Then you have the overly secretive cabal of moderation on Digital Spy where the first rule of moderation seems to be that you don't talk about moderation - i think you know the rest :)

And then I've been on forums where the forum owners are of the opinion that everyone can occupy the same space and that forum users will essentially find their own happy medium of forums they want to use, so they have no problem with linking to other sites and forums.

I think there's definitely a "social" aspect to forums, but I personally don't see them as "social media".

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom