Social media and personal circumstances

I am still on Twitter only because I help to run a daily chat over there. If it wasn't for the chat I would come off it. I like some of the mental health related content on Twitter though.

I've said this elsewhere on this site: AV Forums is the only social media I use.

It can get heated here, of course, but it's the Moderation that keeps a lid on things and weeds out trouble makers or people who just won't let it lie.

I don't always agree with what people say on here, but I do think it's important that they have a platform to say it and that they're equally respectful on opposing viewpoints.

I'm in my 50's and have never understood this desire to share details of your life with complete strangers every single day. I still don't really know why influencers exist, why they're so important and why they're paid so much, but maybe I'm just jealous that they earn in a day what I do in a month!

I think social media can bring the worst as well as the best out of people, as witnessed by @richp007's post above. The worst has to be the seemingly-endless racist abuse of famous people.

@netcurtainsfromDS - you can live without Facebook, Twitter et al easily enough. Even Digital Spy!
I hate the term influencer, it sounds so self-important to me.

I hate the term influencer, it sounds so self-important to me.
Whenever I hear someone described as that, my first translation of that and my reaction, which immediately springs to mind is......

tenor.gif

I am surprised how many people are 'friends' with the teenage children - surely they want privacy from their parents. Or do all the kids just run 2 accounts?

Whenever I hear someone described as that, my first translation of that and my reaction, which immediately springs to mind is......

tenor.gif
I always think of that obnoxious couple in the Hotel series of American Horror Story. I couldn't help but be glad when Kathy Bated killed them.

I always think of that obnoxious couple in the Hotel series of American Horror Story. I couldn't help but be glad when Kathy Bated killed them.
Have you seen Fyre ? (Sorry if I've asked that before ). Its quite funny watching a pack of influences thinking they're getting a luxury trip, and really not getting one

Have you seen Fyre ? (Sorry if I've asked that before ). Its quite funny watching a pack of influences thinking they're getting a luxury trip, and really not getting one
I can't say I have but it sounds quite entertaining.

I can't say I have but it sounds quite entertaining.
Its a documentary on netflix. Its about a music festival that went horrendously wrong.
Nobody hurt, but its just a prime example of a perfect storm of everything going wrong.
People were paying thousands to stay in luxury, catered accommodation and got wet tents and dairylea sandwiches

I mainly just use FB to have a nosy at the lives of people I actually know, and I don’t know people that are super weird or talk a lot of trash. If they are, they’re being ultra private about it and that’s fine.

I also use it for cooking/recipe/food groups, they’re mostly drama-free, though on one of my German food groups on time there was a big controversy about the geographic origin of Maggi seasoning and the placement of it within a grocery store. It got locked.

Actually my Mexican food group regularly throws up 1000-comment sized arguments, especially when a non-Latin person asks a question about a certain dish/ingredient. Honestly though I’m really only interested in the food, not the drama, so it is quite annoying sometimes.

Do your friends opinions on the covid situation make a difference to your friendship? People don't always have to have the same ideals and thoughts to maintain a friendship. I have friends into all sorts of hobbies that don't interest me, but doesn't effect why we are friends?

Maybe the isolation from all this hiding inside has altered your mental state slightly? I'd be hopeful things will be back to normal soon.

Do your friends opinions on the covid situation make a difference to your friendship? People don't always have to have the same ideals and thoughts to maintain a friendship. I have friends into all sorts of hobbies that don't interest me, but doesn't effect why we are friends?

Maybe the isolation from all this hiding inside has altered your mental state slightly? I'd be hopeful things will be back to normal soon.
I took my wife's cousin off my Facebook because of that. She's always been into all sorts of stupid conspiracy theories but when I'm stuck inside, doing my best to help get this pandemic cleared up and feeling pretty fed up and she's spouting such stupid and reckless crap, nah, had enough of it! The scary thing is, she's a first response medic too! I remember a few years ago with the ebola thing and she was properly paranoid about that, stockpiling supplies and all sorts. Now we actually have got a pandemic, it's all fake and a lefty plot from Justin Trudeau (she's Canadian), for the commies to control the world, or something.

e65.gif

Not really though there are 2 work collegues that I (quietly) look at with a lot less respect these days.

They went full on Trumpian over the last year, getting fully on board with the “COVID is a Democrat hoax” “Masks are for sheep” “Vaccines are a plot by Bill Gates to control our mind”, ”Democrats stole the election“ and any Qanon crap you can imagine.

We don’t even live in the States but if you can think of any of the crazy conspiracy BS that went on, they got right into it. Obviously anyone who didn’t buy into their nonsense was “brainwashed sheeple being fooled by the MSM“ etc.... They became a parody of themselves towards the end.

Think they ended up getting banned from FB as I don’t get their madness popping up on my feed anymore.

Last edited:
Yeah, I pretty much just use Facebook as a tool to keep in touch with friends and family. When I do have a quick read through my wall, I just quickly scroll through all the nonsense and concentrate on the personal stories and photos. I don't know what it is about Facebook but it seems to turn people who in real life who are pretty normal, reasonably intelligent and balanced into raving, racist, conspiracy nut morons.
I agree!

I laughed long and hard and loud at Fyre. :D It so summed up the very grim, self-serving, greedy, brainless nature of so many influencers, and those unfortunates who hang on their every utterance.

A sobering lesson learned, you'd thing, but probably not since there's no cure for stupid.

I laughed long and hard and loud at Fyre. :D It so summed up the very grim, self-serving, greedy, brainless nature of so many influencers, and those unfortunates who hang on their every utterance.

A sobering lesson learned, you'd thing, but probably not since there's no cure for stupid.
It really was fantastic.

Full of Avon, crap homemade food which people are trying to sell, pizza boxes for 20 quid filled with 2 quids worth of sweets and mainly people arguing about covid. Either the scared cowards with their Covid profile frames telling everyone to stay at home, or conspiracy theorists.

If it wasn't for family I'd leave the whole lot of them

Have Facebook, but very rarely ever post. Keep in touch with family on it. When I say keep in touch, I view their posts. And did get in touch with my best friend, who now lives in Australia, from school after 30 years via it.
Mainly use it for the marketplace, and watching OFAH clips it seems.

What do I have in common with the President of the United States?
We both don't have a Twitter account.

I have never felt the need to join Twitter or Facebook and argue with climate change deniers who stick their heads in the sand on the issue of rising sea levels.
Either way, they won't be able to breathe.

I don't use FB. I keep in touch via WhatsApp only.

Owned by FB as is Instagram :)

Social media has a place if you have an interest in what is happening in your county, or surrounding counties when joining the local papers pages (yeah I know journos are not that bright, but the replies normally point towards the real story)

This I do as my local news for my county usually carries a few stories about a vicar from some town that did some things, a new café in Brighton for vegan gender fluid things and how a cat found it's way to the next village on the back of a refuse lorry and these groups provide a much bigger picture that the mainstream cannot supply.

I hate facebook and everything facebook-related with a passion.

I like twitter but now use it just to follow and engage with people/orgs/causes I like.

I've grown to love local freebie newspapers where I live that tell me about a cow escaping from a field and poking its head into a butcher shop before being returned to its field, and the letters page where someone is in a righteous froth about the proposal of a statue in a place that s/he hasn't been personally consulted about.

My kind of news.

I've never been really active on social media. I used to check twitter out all the time but it lost its novelty and now I rarely dip in. I probably spend more time on Facebook now since the big facelift which for me really improved it but still it's maybe only once a week on average.

I've just popped back onto Facebook to spread the word about a walking group I have set up. It's a pretty useful tool in that regard. Otherwise it doesn't interest me much.

I have a twitter account but never use it, as there are very many (as I see it anyway) hypersensitive people there.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom