Social media and personal circumstances

Jammy Smears

Have your feelings towards social media changed in the last year or so?

I used to quite enjoy facebook, various forums etc I liked the chat, the camaraderie, keeping up to date with the news and current affairs. I don't know if social media has changed or I have but I'm finding it less and less enjoyable and it's users ever more agravating.

To give some examples, since lockdown a lady who I considered a close friend, we've been friends for 20 years has disappeared down a conspiracy rabbit hole, She has started posting nonsense about governemnt control, we're all guinea pigs in some giant experiment etc I tried to ignore it or post articles for her to read, the latest one being about the vaccinations as she believed they'd been rushed but she ignores them which is her right. She wouldn't have posted such nonsense a year ago, she was level headed and we were pretty much on the same page with most stuff but these days I hardly recognise the woman she has become.

Hypocrisy is another thing that I'm finding hard to ignore lately. After the sad death of Caroline Flack, the whole BE KIND thing was all over facebook. It was quickly forgotten as people came out in droves defending Piers Morgans continual harrassment and quite frankly worrying online stalking of Meghan Markle. It wasn't OK to trash Caroline online, why is it OK to trash Meghan? A lot seem to miss the point, it matters not whether you like her. What does matter is allowing online bullying and trolling, defending it and accepting it as normal. I can't get onboard with it. It's anything but kind.

We all remember the whole clapping for the NHS every week, how quickly our appreciation for them waned when their paltry pay rise became news. My local rag was littered wth comments like "well I've worked throughout the pandemic and I'm not getting a rise why should they" etc The very same people were clattering their pans every week and hinking their car horns

I've had three facebook warnings lately for speaking up against the covid deniers. I lost my sister in law to covid last June and my mum to it in November. I wonder if it's my personal circumstances that have just made me too sensitive for social media. Maybe it's always been like it and i've just not noticed it like I am doing now.

TL:DR I just can't 'people' any more!

The Dark Horse

I too have a friend who has become very vocal on FB about conspiracies with Covid and how stupid anyone who doesn't agree with them is, also getting into quite nasty and personal arguments when others comment on their posts. It's got to the point I am finding myself not engaging at all with them anymore.

Plumsandpearls

I think I'm quite lucky in that no one on my fb is a covid denier. I work in respiratory medicine research so do know quite a lot of folk who work in science, which probably limits it a bit.
Best advice is to hide anyone annoying you.
If you delete them you might have to have an argument about why you deleted them. With hiding they don't know and you don't see them.

Autumn Rain

I deactivated Facebook a while back. I still use Messenger, just not the main Facebook app/site. I can't say I miss it really. I used to be quite active on there and would be constantly updating my page with all kinds of stuff in my life, big and small. Now I can't be arsed. I don't need to tell people what film I'm watching, where I'm going for a drink or what I did on my holiday. People can post what they want on their social media profile (within reason obviously) but as I have got a bit older I have found I just don't feel the need anymore. I think I value a private life more than I used to.

The Covid stuff was getting annoying too. At one point it seemed like every other post was about bloody masks. I feel a lot better for having got away from all that.

kav

Distinguished Member
Haven't used Facebook for years, and use other social media as little as possible. I was a relatively early adopter of it and enjoyed it initially, but on the whole I think it's done more harm than good in my life.

richp007

Distinguished Member
Facebook has a great deal to answer for. It's a beast that's out of control and should have been put on reins years ago. Covid has served to expose it further.

I know I submit myself to too much social media, particularly the underbelly, as I follow anti-vaxxers and the disinformation gurus just so I know what the heathens are upto. I try to balance it though with a lot of positive stuff from organisations like Mind and Sane.

Plus things like this for example. If it wasn't for social media I doubt I'd ever have seen this.

Derek S-H

Distinguished Member
I've said this elsewhere on this site: AV Forums is the only social media I use.

It can get heated here, of course, but it's the Moderation that keeps a lid on things and weeds out trouble makers or people who just won't let it lie.

I don't always agree with what people say on here, but I do think it's important that they have a platform to say it and that they're equally respectful on opposing viewpoints.

I'm in my 50's and have never understood this desire to share details of your life with complete strangers every single day. I still don't really know why influencers exist, why they're so important and why they're paid so much, but maybe I'm just jealous that they earn in a day what I do in a month!

I think social media can bring the worst as well as the best out of people, as witnessed by @richp007's post above. The worst has to be the seemingly-endless racist abuse of famous people.

@netcurtainsfromDS - you can live without Facebook, Twitter et al easily enough. Even Digital Spy!

The Dark Horse

I still don't really know why influencers exist, why they're so important and why they're paid so much, but maybe I'm just jealous that they earn in a day what I do in a month!

Exactly that, to influence people and get them to buy stuff or think a certain way, if a brand can get someone with a big social media following to wear or recommend their product or service then there's a good chance their followers will buy it too, just a modern way of advertising. I'm sure most of these people have never heard or even use most of the things they endorse, they just want paying for doing it.

Last edited:

Derek S-H

Distinguished Member
Exactly that, to influence people and get them to buy stuff or think a certain way, if a brand can get someone with a big social media following to wear or recommend their product or service then there's a good chance their followers will buy it too, just a modern way of advertising. I'm sure most of these people have never heard or even use most of the things they endorse, they just want paying for doing it.
Oh, right.

So it's just about flogging products then, not something that particularly adds to the sum of human happiness or fulfillment.

Mind you, I can think of a lot worse ways to make a living, so fair play to them.

aVdub

Distinguished Member
The great Facebook algorithm is probably why some see people go off on a path they've never followed before, or had much interest in that subject.

It is, for me not much better than the troll playgrounds of DC chat back in the bad old days of 1999/2000 and is full of all those you would never want to meet in real life.

Treated as it is and it is fine.

Darth Felix

To give some examples, since lockdown a lady who I considered a close friend, we've been friends for 20 years has disappeared down a conspiracy rabbit hole, She has started posting nonsense about governemnt control, we're all guinea pigs in some giant experiment etc

The irony of that is that social media is one of the most effective tools for social manipulation there is. The whole phenomenon is a propagandist’s wet dream.

“Clap for carers”?

“Pose for the feed then throw the carers under a bus” more like. Yet we all fall for it to some extent. 😡

/cynic

Last edited:

The Dark Horse

Oh, right.

So it's just about flogging products then, not something that particularly adds to the sum of human happiness or fulfillment.

Mind you, I can think of a lot worse ways to make a living, so fair play to them.

Normally yes, you do get some spreading positive thoughts and practices but most are using their social media presence to advertise things or promote themselves of course.

drum

Facebook for family members only and a couple of close pals that i've know years, my family is littered all over the UK so with lockdowns and all Facebook Facetimes has kept us all close. I block all spam/ads/weirdos etc o_O I prefer Twitter.

scottydog

I regularly have to take a break from social media. I find that the petty little arguments and narrow mindedness of some people stress and anger me in ways I really don’t need. I also have a Facebook acquaintance that suddenly started posting weird Covid related stuff. It started quite small with claims that vitamin c was the answer to everything. Then posts of ‘evidence’ that there is no virus and that the vaccines will alter our DNA. There were also claims of being recruited by a foreign research facility to share their findings! I’ve never questioned any of it but it is very out of character.

Heartstone

Early adopter of most social media Facebook etc. Always used pseudonym, literally only have close family and friends. So 20ish people. Only used to say hi, where and what time.

Squirty

Have children on the other side of the planet, otherwise wouldn't use it I don't think.
I do flick through FB, but can't remember the last time I posted anything.

It is useful for the odd snippet of local news though, rta reports and info about local occurences.
But I wouldn't miss it if it disappeared.

dmpzsn

The only social media I'm on is Facebook and I'm only there for some private groups I'm on and marketplace where I've sold some items.

I have no profile as such and have never taken part in any of the other parts of facebook, except for messenger where I keep in touch with my Daughters.

This is also the only active forum I take part in now as DS has virtually closed although I'm a member of several others I'm not a regular poster.

I use to pick up a young girl from school to take to her foster home, I think she was pre-teens although she was in senior school and she had accounts on every social media group going. I think this was around 2010.

Last edited:

MrFraggle

Distinguished Member
I have facebook but privacy settings are pretty rigid, I rarely post to my own page either. But I belong to a few groups which is fun.
Twitter I just don't understand the point of at all.

Plumsandpearls

I have facebook but privacy settings are pretty rigid, I rarely post to my own page either. But I belong to a few groups which is fun.
Twitter I just don't understand the point of at all.
If I ever became king of the world, twitter would be one of the first things I'd ban.
I hate it. I hate that people think that an opinion on twitter is somehow important. I hate that modern journalism is getting three tweets on a subject and making out the world is outraged.

reiteration

facebook can be useful as I'm a member of local groups to where I used to live when I was a kid and people talk about living there in the 70s... and I'm a member of some emtb groups and we help each other out with certain issues (I had a teething issue with my canyon that no one had any idea about, but one bloke suggested a fix and has helped a few people..)… so, depends on who your friends are and what groups / pages you visit to an extent...

Ruperts slippers

Distinguished Member
I have a Facebook account, but don't use it much these days. Me and my partner are not even friends on there. What strikes me on Facebook is, an advert will come up for lets say a fitness program or for trade skill, then underneath in the comments, strangers, men and mainly men will just start slagging each other off or the advert off. It's all a bit weird.

I'm on here a lot at the moment due to Covid and skiving off work for the past couple of months.
Just got to try not to take social media too seriously, there's an awful of negativity and moroseness. A generation of cable guys/gals has been created.

leamspaceman

Distinguished Member
My own rule with social media of any kind is not to say anything that I wouldn't say to the person face to face.

Unfortunately... I seem to be in a minority.

The thing that irks me most is if someone takes the 'p' out of you or is nasty to you or tries to make you look stupid, then you express your right to reply, and you're the one who gets demonized.

But hey... it's entertaining.

Boo Radley75

Yeah, I pretty much just use Facebook as a tool to keep in touch with friends and family. When I do have a quick read through my wall, I just quickly scroll through all the nonsense and concentrate on the personal stories and photos. I don't know what it is about Facebook but it seems to turn people who in real life who are pretty normal, reasonably intelligent and balanced into raving, racist, conspiracy nut morons.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: LG C1 OLED + JBL Synthesis SDR-35 First Thoughts, plus TV Show & Disc Reviews & more
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

What's new on Netflix UK for June 2021
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 12th May 2021
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Bluesound unveils new generation of Node and Powernode audio players
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Naim launches Uniti Atom Headphone Edition