1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Soccer WM 2006 in HDTV

Discussion in 'TVs' started by joys_R_us, Dec 11, 2004.

1. joys_R_us

joys_R_us

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    German Pay-TV channel Premiere announced its plans to broadcast all games in HDTV.

2. camtheman

camtheman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm actually considering subscribing to Premiere as my main HDTV sat channel when it starts, even though I live in the UK. Sky HD is out of the question as there is no CAM for it, and I like having everything on my PC. I'm not sure there's enough decent stuff on Euro1080 for me to bother with it, although I really like the fact that it's a true multi-country station. So, Premiere it is then. Looks like I'll have to brush up on my German.
    Until that time I'll get my HD fix elsewhere.

3. 1080 jawbreaker

1080 jawbreaker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +625
    some of the PPV movie channels have optional english soundtrack, ya will have a hard time tryin to order though :laugh:

4. JayX

JayX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    they only ship to .de addresses or something?

5. camtheman

camtheman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was thinking of ordering from a UK shop like this one -

http://www.digicams-uk.com/category41_1.htm

Btw I'm aware of the English tracks for films, it's the sports channels which may make me confused about what's going on. Then again, I've been watching german Eurosport for ages now. Usually I just turn off or lower the sound when I watch it.

6. JayX

JayX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    well dealing specifically with the world cup... the only benefit to premiere is the fact that it'll be HD (but hey, we might be lucky and have a choice!)

so as the sound won't be any difference in quality, take a second source (freeview adapter perhaps?) rig the sound to your amplifier.. et voila, english commentry with the people you know alongside the HD video from the germans.

edit:

£580 ?! jeeze! ok.. maybe not something i'll be going for.. makes sky look cheap tho! lot of money for a set of channels you won't be able to understand a lot of the time, unless you're sharing the cost with friends.

christ 3 edit in a row!

won't HD1 be getting this? they were supposed to get the euro 2004 championship in HD but it seemed someone forgot to give the portugese equipment made in this millenia (it was a bit shocking wasn't it?) so i can't see why they won't get the WC in HD ?

7. Muf

Muf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
  8. Eson

Eson
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    IIRC Premiere is using Nagra2 and there is no cam for that either so no go on PC.

9. Stephen Neal

Stephen Neal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +681
    Euro 2006 is being covered in HD by the host broadcast operation I believe - so it isn't Premiere who are specifically covering it in HD - rather they have announced that they will be broadcasting the HD coverage. Other broadcasters may also broadcast it in HD.

For info the Turin Winter Olympics are also being host broadcast in HD, and it is expected the Beijing games in 2008 will be as well.

Effectively, as was the case for Euro 2004 in Portugal, the standard definition coverage will be a downconvert of the HD host broadcast coverage (unlike this years Olympics where the HD coverage was separate for the most part - I think the Athletics was covered with a mix of HD cameras and HD and SD trucks)

10. 1080 jawbreaker

1080 jawbreaker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +625
    theres a premiere ci cam, wether ya pc card detects it is anther matter though.

11. Rimmer

Rimmer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The UK coverage of Euro2004 wasn't remotely high-definition. It was an SD 4:3 feed, which the BBC and ITV in their infinite wisdom decided to downconvert to pillarboxed 16:9 in order to show Gary Lineker in widescreen. Only Eurosport showed the games in full resolution 720 x 576. A few games were filmed in 1080i, but it was on a very limited basis, and separate cameras were used for the SD coverage.

12. Stephen Neal

Stephen Neal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +681
    Not the case I am afraid - though this was widely rumoured at the time.

All the matches in Portugal were covered by Alfacam in HD 1080/50i (though I think the radio steadicams were 576/50i upconverts)

4:3 576/50i and 16:9 576/50i feeds were down converted from the 1080/50i feeds, but only the 4:3 feeds (along with ISOs) was back-hauled to the main IBC on-site - which is where most of the BBC (and ITV) production operations were based (hence the 4:3 nature of the bulk of the BBC and ITV match coverage) The 16:9 SD feed was only available on-site (and it was up to the individual broadcasters to arrange unliateral back-haul to the IBC operation or back to their own country - as places like Denmaker did I believe), and the HD feed was even more difficult to get hold of.

For some games the BBC used their own cameras (in 16:9) for location presentation (and additional match coverage) - but still sourced the match coverage in 4:3. I suspect this was for both consistency (with matches that had no on-site presentation?) and redundancy (the 4:3 feeds were the main host broadcaster delivered feeds so were backed-up comprehensively, whereas the 16:9 feeds wouldn't have been unless the broadcaster organised it themselves? Though one could argue that the 4:3 feed would have been a good backup...)

I don't know where you get the info that the games were covered separately in SD and HD - AIUI this was certainly not the case (though it was for the Athens Olympics)

13. Rimmer

Rimmer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was going by what I'd heard from a couple different sources: that it was the same scenario as Athens, with separate 4:3 SD and HD production equipment, the HD equipment being limited to a few venues. If the HD and SD versions did derive from the same source it seems ridiculous that there was no robust way of delivering a widescreen version (which was the BBC's excuse for using the 4:3 version and pillarboxing it). A lot is being made of the fact the World Cup in 2006 is being covered in 1080i, as if it is the first major international sporting event to given the full high-def treatment (from memory the press release makes that very claim).

14. JayX

JayX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    surprised nobodies moaned about it being 1080i not 720p yet :p

15. CKNA

CKNA
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    The problem was with Portugese RTI television. Even though Portugal is part of EU they have no widescreen TV at all. That is why they only had 4:3 feed available. Alfacam did all Euro2004 in HD as Stephen said. In US we saw all the games in HD on tape delay. It was not because difficulty with getting live HD feed but because SD PPV rights. Alfacam had all the games in HD live on their event channel. They did not scramble in the beginning so some people saw few games live.

Athens HD coverage was limited. Opening and closing ceremonies, track and field, soccer final and mens and womens basketball finals were all done in HD and downcoverted to SD. Swimming on the other hand was done pretty much seperately, but HD and SD productions used feeds from both.

All big events since 90's are covered by Host Broadcasting. What that means is that independent companies provide most of the equipment. Only the best production teams and directors from different contries come to cover the events. This also eliminates any bias that local television would have showing their own athletes and not covering other events equally.

The same goes for World Cup. Even though it will be in Germany they will have top directors and production teams from different countries producing the matches.

Here is the link to Host Broadcaster for World Cup 2006.
    http://www.hostbroadcastservices.com/news.php?idnews=6&page=1

16. Rimmer

Rimmer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the clear explanation.