1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Soccer Games

Discussion in 'Nintendo Forums' started by Geordie Jester, Oct 12, 2004.

1. Geordie Jester

Geordie Jester

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +157
    For the first time in a while I am looking forward to a game being released. - Pro Evolution 4 for Xbox.

In the past I have played a lot of soccer games, but never a PES title. The reviews about playability are what really make me excited. The previous Fifa efforts have had all the glitz, but never actually seemed to capture the playability of old titles (not tried 2005 mind). Anybody here remember the game "Goal!" on the Amiga ?? For me, along with my second favourite Sensible Soccer, Goal was the best effort I have seen. The game was fast and fairly nice to look at. But the big plus was the control system. It was soooooo intuitive and actually made you feel you were genuinely in control. Far too often the likes of Fifa make you have a feeling of influencing the game, but not controlling it. Pressing shoot is just a throw of a dice. Depending on where you are on the pitch, the more likely it is to go in. It would be nice to feel as if you nearly scored not because the console decided it, but because you just aimed slightly off, and hit the ball not quite right on the timing of the bounce etc.

So what do people think about how soccer games have developed over the years. To me, playability dropped as the graphics/AI/animation/detail improved. Hopefully with PES4 we could be making a step forward? Or am I destined to be dissappointed again ?

2. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,107
    My favourite is still Sensible Soccer, I miss the arcade playability that the game created. Me and my mates still play the game on the Megadrive occasionally.

I bought PES3 and I think it was a great game, but it really did not hold my attention long. It is a fantastic improvement over Fifa but I find that it does not have the enjoyment levels of an arcade baller like Sensi Soccer. The 3D is very realistic and when I first played it you could possibly mistake it for the real game. The attention to detail is unlike any other sports game I have played.

If you are a football fanatic (which I am not) then the PES series is a wet dream, I think if you combined it with Championship Manager then you would not see most football fans leave their console/computer :p

If you are a hardcore gamer, I think that you can appreciate the gameplay PES recreates but for sheer gaming thrills there are better titles out there.

3. Geordie Jester

Geordie Jester

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +157
    Did you ever get to play Dino Dini's Goal! ? Although there are still a lot of people who think Kick Off 2 is still the best

4. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    As a football gaming fanatic, I have to say that FIFA is finally starting to make some head way as a good game. The playability has improved a great deal and though I am yet to own 2005 it does look good.

The thing stopping FIFA from being great at the moment is the shooting and crossing in my opinion. The Ball dynamics are just not good enough. This is were PES3/4 trumps FIFA, the ball moves bounces and reacts exactly as a ball should......

Graphically, FIFA probably edges PES but its close. Imagine the graphics and front end of FIFA with the PES playability. Superb.

Going back I loved Sensible Soccer on the Amiga. However, my all time favourite footy games are ISS on the SNES and ISS on the Nintendo 64. That game played the best game of football ever.....nothing comes close to the feeling of letting a 30 yard shot go like in ISS on the 64. Genius.

Cap :)

5. Scott23

Scott23

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +250

6. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,850
    The PES games are amazing and they have easily been my most played games since ISS pro evolution soccer came out on the PS1.

They play just like real football and have just the right feel - that is what makes them stand out from the crowd of FIFA and TIF games. Strategies, formations and player choices are cruicial for each game as even the most skilled player will struggle with an inapropriate formation etc.

The AI has always been great (although due to it's complexity over other games it has also been prone to the odd bug) but the latest version PES4 is scarily realistic!

Not too sure I agree with this. Yes it obviously appeals to footie fans, however a mate that I play PES with very regularly isn't much of a footie fan at all but is a HUGE fan of PES. I am a reasonable footie fan although Rugby league is my first sport these days. The reason I play PES though is purely for it's amazing gameplay genius. No game (or series of games) that I have ever bought have had the play that the PES games have had. When I was younger I could play games for longer periods without getting board but these days there is only one game that I could constantly play all day and that game is PES.

I did love ISS64 on the N64, it was a great game! As was Kick off & Sensi Soccer. Match day 2 and Emlyn Hughes Soccer were decent in the 8 bit days and FIFA was pretty good on the Megadrive.

For the last 5 years or so there has only really been once choice for me though - the Pro evolution soccer series on PS1 & 2.

7. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    Hey does anyone remember Peter Shiltons Handball Maradona on the Spectrum?

I used to play that loads!!

Here it is

http://www.worldofspectrum.org/infoseek.cgi?regexp=^Peter+Shilton%27s+Handball+Maradona$&pub=^Grandslam+Entertainments+Ltd$

God I am showing my age now :)

Cap :)

8. o THE CHAD o

o THE CHAD o

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    pro-evo is the only game that i religiously buy every year,and look forward to immensely.

and ill be getting the ps2 and xbox versions(for live play of course)