So you're Microsoft, Sony just moved first, what do you do now?

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by Guns_LotsOfGuns, Feb 21, 2013.

1. Guns_LotsOfGuns

Guns_LotsOfGuns
    Moderator/Games Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,312
    Would you keep waiting to announce your console?

Would you consider changing specs if it was just revealed to be more powerful?

Quickly start working on some equivalents of the best features shown?

I think they need to say something soon, cant leave Sony out there as the only place to play next gen titles for too long. Not sure waiting till E3 is a good idea either as Sony can just show the box to get more attention.

I would love to be a fly on the wall in the Xbox division this morning :D

2. iwb100

iwb100
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,215
    If I was Microsoft I'd be laughing out loud at the rather lame reveal Sony have just produced and enjoying the damp squib reaction it has been met with.

Only goes to show why there is absolutely zero point in revealing too early.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2013
  3. redmarkred

redmarkred

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    Agreed if I was MS I'd do nothing! The PS4 reveal was vague and uninspiring. It seems that Sony were desperate to announce the PS4 before the new Xbox was announced, but didn't actually have anything tangible to announce, apart from a new controller! :rolleyes:

4. KirkSi

KirkSi
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,905
    There were a couple of nice things in there though. Switching on and straight into gaming, that I'd like. Ability to share gamer footage easily (I'd still like to be able to do some editing though). Spec wise the only standout for me was the fact that they upped the RAM to 8GB of GDDR5! That's a lot of fast RAM. You could argue equivilancy when Sony had 4GB of fast RAM and XBox had 8GB of slower RAM. Early on I'm not sure it'll make that much difference but I remember reading that developers love RAM, they can do some neat tricks with a lot of RAM so having a lot of fast RAM later in the consoles life cycle might make a difference.

Still don't like the controllers though. Much prefer the layout of the XBox controller and that may sway me into buying the XBox first and then maybe later in the life cycle, if the better PS4 specs do start to make a difference, pick up a PS4 after a price drop.

With MS going second they need to have something that's much better than what Sony just announced. Some kind of killer feature otherwise it'll just be 'We've already heard all this in the Sony release'

5. amardilo

amardilo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,745
    I think the RAM is a huge bonus for Sony. Going by the rumours 4GB of DDR5 that was reported to be in PS4 compared to 8GB of DDR3 reported in the 360 wasn't going to make a huge difference but now that Sony has said it will be 8GB of super fast DDR5 (I think it was reported that was 167GB/s bandwidth). Plus an 8 core CPU sounds good too. If it is an APU solution too I'd imagine that would help data transferring between the CPU and GPU too.

Timothy Lottes (works for nVidia and creator of FXAA) wrote a blog post (since deleted but reposted elsewhere) awhile ago mentioning that Sony also allowed for developers to "write to the metal" allowing them greater access to the hardware to get that little bit extra out of it.

I hope Microsoft can match the hardware and make sure the OS does not take up too many reasources when gaming and they get DX11 to be as efficient as possible but I'd be a bit worried that they might stick to 8GB DDR3 to keep costs down and we get a reverse of issues seen this gen - the memory in the 360 offered better performance for games like Skyrim.

6. Spidey987

Spidey987

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +236
    One thing is for sure, I'm glad at this early stage Sony has denounced the idea that it will always require an internet connection and not play used games. At least pressure will now be on Microsoft to follow suit.

7. Kinetic Frenzy

Kinetic Frenzy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +990
    Nothing for ms to be worried about - you're either in the know and therefore are aware that a next xbox is coming or you ain't and you will make your decision when the marketing kicks in.

Funnily enough though I'm in the know I don't care too much at this stage and probably care even less about the ps4 regardless of how powerful it might turn out to be because I hate the controller. Doesn't matter how good a game is if you can't get on with the controller - where exactly do Sony think our thumbs naturally point...? I'm baffled that in more than 15 years of being in the game they've never worked that one out :rolleyes:

8. McNab

McNab

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +467
    Have they denounced 'always on'? I saw that they say used games are ok, but not that.

I noticed they didn't mention anything about physical media at the show. I guess it's still blu-ray equipped.

9. Mr Noble

Mr Noble
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,020
    360 catalogue has over 1000 games i've still yet to play, with this in mind i don't mind waiting until the next console has celebrated it's 1st Birthday and its immune system has built up an tollerance to hardware/software faults :)

To the day one beta testers though I salute you! :D

10. mr.manchester

mr.manchester
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +167
    After watching the obismal reveal lastnight there nothing to worry about.

11. Spidey987

Spidey987

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +236
  12. Jonesy012

Jonesy012

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +425
    Contrary to a lot of above posters I'm a little curious about the Sony move. It clearly didn't show much about the hardware, almost as though they didn't need to. They said beforehand they wanted to wait for MS to make the first move, and I feel like Sony is enticing MS to make the next move now. Last night was a confirmation and update, not at all really a reveal.

I wouldn't be surprised if Sony have a lot more hidden, waiting to counter anything MS come up with.

On that front MS should really perfect their own announcement and make it as strong as possible. Read the feedback from last night and react to it where possible. At this stage they cannot do a great deal more.

13. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    In a secret location with Jennifer Lawrence
    Ratings:
    +11,524
    It's all very interesting though! Whoever was first out of Sony and MS, the one going second will always have the advantage. Unless MS are complete morons their announcement will be many times better than Sony's.

The PS3 and Xbox were not released at the same time, so perhaps MS are not looking to release their console this year?

14. apolloa

apolloa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,334
    Well I watched the whole event. was interested to see what they come up with, I think they have not yet decided on a final design for the product hence it wasn't shown, most likely they are down to two?
    The controller looks awkward to me, yeah the touchpad is cool but I can't see how the Move feature will work well? But the whole controller looks a bit cumbersome to me?

Now the specs, it's a PC, but, they did say the system has the CPU and GPU on one chip! So it is utterly customised and has very good system memory, shared too so Sony has learnt it's lesson.

I think they have concentrated FAR too much on social integration, with Facebook etc. I mean I use You Tube so would upload videos onto that but I won't touch Facebook. I think Sony has gone from it's poor online to trying too hard with it?

I do NOT like one bit the fact it's not going to play PS1/ PS2/ PS3 games disks! With that power you can more then easily emulate these systems, I think they are going to make you buy the games again online and stream them to play them. Because that's what they did with the PSP to Vita.

And talking of the Vita, Sony proudly stated how it spoke to all the developers during it's development too, all the devs said what THEY wanted in a handheld and were so happy Sony did that and gave them what they wanted, yet where are those devs now???? Yeah, so don't be fooled by that line from Sony with the PS4.
    And I also see it as a bit of a cheap shot to say how they are going to link the Vita with the PS4, it kinda undermines the Vita as nothing more then a glorified controller as opposed to an incredibly powerful handheld self contained system, they have copied that game pause feature to go back into the system straight from the Vita, it's the same, you can at any point of a game go back to the main menu, then go straight back to the game exactly where you left it, cleaver thing that.

The games looked pretty impressive but that's to be expected, what is interesting is the new and exciting gameplay paths they are taking :thumbsup: I personally cannot wait for Watch Dogs!
    I did however find the Killzone demo a bit lacklustre.

Sony have also confirmed that the PS4 will NOT block second hand games too which is good.

So......

It's an impressive effort by Sony, but they did the same with the PS3 and the Vita, I have a Vita and love it, and Sony only seem to have really got the PS3 of the ground in the last 2 years.

So yeah, I am quietly confident Microsoft can more then match Sony, again. I think if they can make the system backwards compatible with the 360, improve on the already excellent Xbox Live, and give us a reliable system they will get my money.
    I have read that Game are offering pre-orders with a guide price for the PS4 of £400!! Way to much, MS can I think again undercut Sony's price.

I also think MS could wait until E3 before they announce anything, because that'll make Sony sweat...

I didn't see anything that has swayed me from my current path of wanting the next Xbox over the PS4. Especially if they share the same hardware underneath and we have no idea about that yet, all specs of the next Xbox are at present only rumours, nothing has been confirmed.

15. Jonesy012

Jonesy012

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +425
    I imagine I will rarely post Facebook videos unless they can be directed to any page you desire. Say, for one game I'd like it go to the games own Facebook page instead of mine - as you say half my friends won't care and will get sick of me posting them. Being able to post them to the pages where they will have interest and generate discussions would be great. And Youtube as you say.

What really stood out for me was when Krank was being played with a lobby to the right. It said comments (200+) with a live feed. What I don't know is how many people can connect to the feed, is it a group of 3 friends or is it a public feed or limited to a hundred or couple.

If it is the former it will be meh. Most people get bored watching people play games in the same room so I can't see any reason people could be appealed to it in general except for niche situations. If it is the latter however, wow... imagine live let's plays. That would be really, really good.

16. apolloa

apolloa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,334
    Yeah that was an interesting feature, the way you can invite friends to play, but most are only going to want to see how that works in COD haha. I think it's enough that a stranger can watch you play in game, I think anyone on the network watching could be a bit voyeurism haha.
    I'm not too sure I would like a dev to step in and help me when I'm stuck though as part of the game is to work it out, if not you can watch a video on how to do it.

17. Jonesy012

Jonesy012

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +425
    I'd imagine you could choose to make a private or public feed. Would be used by a lot of YouTube channel owners and Let's Players I'd imagine. Like TeamFourStar's 2 Saiyans Play... that could be done live.

As for people stepping in to games. Their example of having people come in to help I'll never use - I prefer the challenge and if I'm stuck I'll get Google out. Not really sure if there are any other applications I care about on that front.

The Vita stream looked good but being single and young if I play a game the only opportunity I'll have to use it is if I'm very very lazy or on the toilet, but tbf in that case I'd probably just pause the game! I'm not the kind of person who reads a book (or now, completes a game) while taking a dump! haha.

18. apolloa

apolloa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,334
    The toilet is now the reserve of the smartphone or tablet :D man has advanced from the newspaper :laugh:

One thing I do hope from MS though, and it will be a big deal breaker with the nextBox sales, is Kinect, they have GOT to make it more accurate and work in MUCH smaller spaces, if not and they make it a mandatory piece of kit then I will have to think carefully about getting one.

19. Jonesy012

Jonesy012

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +425
    True, I always have a run on Temple Run while on the can!

Yeah, definitely Kinect and to a lesser extent, Illumiroom. Kinect works best if you are rich or passionate enough to convert a room into a home cinema/entertainment room. Imagine a large projector on one wall and kinect facing you, would be ideal. Kinect 2 could blow Move and the Wii U out of the water if perfected. Will need to see a demo first, but more importantly developers need to use it properly.

The only application I care about for it is fitness and sports/party games.

20. Lurking Lawyer

Lurking Lawyer
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,966
    That's an interesting viewpoint.

I suppose you may be right in terms of the "reveal" and setting the agenda, but allowing the other side to respond to it.

On the other hand, in terms of actually getting the console to market, it's a brave producer who deliberately waits. MS got the Xbox 360 ahead of the PS3 and the latter then spent years (outside Japan, at least) playing catch-up.

FWIW, I'm not sure how much MS could do in response, if they chose to. From what I understand, it's too late in the hardware cycle for there to be any major changes to the tech spec. You can rebuild the thing from the ground up in a matter of months, and they presumably have teams out there already coding software on developer kits ready for Release Day, so there's a limit to how much you can change without rendering all their work wasted.

Mr Noble's comment above about release buyers being glorified beta testers, and not buying for a year or so, seem eminently sensible, and I hope I'm able to resist temptation and follow his intended lead. I fear, however, that I will be swept along with the hype and won't be able to resist! :facepalm:

21. Jonesy012

Jonesy012

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +425
    If early adopters are classed as BETA testers then I guess I am a BETA tester. My fondest memories of the XBOX 360 were in the first 2 years, the first 6 months especially. It's new, it's exciting and it's very very satisfying regardless of any issues it has. The better product may come along after 12-24 months, but the experience and atmosphere in a lot of ways is no stronger than it is at the start.

22. Mr Noble

Mr Noble
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,020

All very well and good if your not dragging it back to the shops 3 times a week due to RROD

Don't get me wrong i'd love to purchase day one , financially speaking i couldn't care how much it costs i'll hand over a blank cheque as i get a hell of a lot of value entertainment wise from my xbox currently.

Reliability is what will put me off , i'm onto my 5th 360 now i don't want that with nextbox :)

23. Jonesy012

Jonesy012

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +425
    I guess i was lucky. My first Xbox died after a year but the elite I've had for many years and my S seems strong. I'd recommend MS don't make that mistake twice.

24. majnu

majnu
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,534
    1. I doubt the MS Roadmap will change

2. Spec wise the rumors have been very close, so MS don't need to change anything. It would be better if the 720 uses the 7970M GPU. Which would sit in between the discreet 7850/70 cards. But I'm sure the tech bods would have more say in this.

3. Sony did emphasize "simplicity" in the presentation. Seamless sharing and upload of videos and screenshots to the Cloud/Social Sites looked very good. But this is something I don't give a rat's ass about - informing Margery that I completed Level 1 and shared it on Fragglebook is sad.

Sony also partnered with Gaikai which has a whole heap of possibilities such as streaming BC games.

Integrating with devices, who isn't doing this now? Smartglass MS will already be improving.

I did hear F2P games and Day 1 digital downloads during the presentation so does that mean games like Planetside 2 made by SOE will be on the PS4 and cheaper digital downloads?

The Playstation Eye looks to be a Kinnect type of device too, so expect more penis picture horror stories except in 3D next year.

Even though most of the games were CGI trailers and played on the PC it was good to see support from new Publishers, Indie devs, new IP's and exclusive games.

Suspended play and the new controller looked interesting. (I forgot about that)

I had no idea what that "Move" puppet show was about, especially if you have grown men playing a child's game.

MS just need to make sure that their hardware is powerful and large enough (RAM) to add any future firmware updates, software apps etc in the future which copies Sony's ideas if they haven't already thought about it.

Sony gave a teaser so MS should start doing the same. Feeding people piecemeal information is better than dumping everything at a E3 presentation.

I hope Lightroom is demonstrated soon and that MS have new IP's too. Needless to say there is plenty for them to think about.

25. Tequila Sunset

Tequila Sunset

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +359
    Used to love my broken 360 but im Still trying to find a reason for me to buy a new one to be honest.

Halo.....erm....HALO!!...erm...

26. kopchoir

kopchoir
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,455
    Personally they both know specs of each others machines who ever comes out with the more gloss the more buy me will get the more custom.
    But the biggest thing will be getting the machine to market first.
    I dont think they will be looking at the comeptition with to much trepidation i have a sneeky feeling MS have forced Sonys card first.
    No firm released date over all terrotiries no price nobody know what the machien looks like all a bit rushed to me.
    MS will throw cash at it have good ol bill gates with some superstar celebs selling the thing.

27. Jonesy012

Jonesy012

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +425
    Hate to say it but I wouldn't bother. It was decent at best. Buy one for GTA V

28. Tequila Sunset

Tequila Sunset

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +359
    Well ive already got a PS3 so il just play it on there....

COD 2 Oblivion, mass effect, halo, gears of war, bioshock....all 360 classics for me back in the day.

Need some more exclusives.

29. majnu

majnu
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,534
    What does that touchpad on the controller do? If anything I hope MS have remappable buttons on their new controller so it helps people with disabilities and those who like legacy controls. Also I hope that they incorporate paddle buttons at the back like the Sabertooth. I just hope they don't change the shape of it. Add a rubberized coating, tactile buttons etc but just keep the shape the same.

30. apolloa

apolloa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,334