So you think you want Hi Def on your xbox? (Hi definition)

T

thebigkung

Hi all,

There seems to be a lot of threads/articles covering this topic but as none have been made sticky or are easy to read I decided to write a guide summarising the things, if’s and but’s to setting up Hi def from an XBOX from my own experience and others on the forum. I hope you find it useful.

The Xbox is built to cater for the different TV and video requirements that are used in different regions of the world.
In the UK we use PAL (Phase Alternating Line). In the USA/Japan they use NTSC (National Television System Committee)

In it’s USA/Japan configuration the Xbox can take advantage of the HDTV (High Definition TeleVision) options that were becoming available to TV broadcasters in the USA at the time of it’s manufacture. As Europe had no agreed standards for HDTV, Microsoft only catered for the current PAL ‘low res’ standard.

As more and more manufactures are building in global compatibility into their VDU’s (TV’s, plasma’s…etc) we are no-longer restricted to using the PAL output of the Xbox. We can switch it to the USA/Japan configuration to get at the Hi Definition options.

Here are the requirements:

A European/UK (PAL) Xbox that has been Hardware modded.

This means an Xbox that has been sourced in the UK that has then had a hardware modification (usually by way of a micro chip being added to the circuit board) to enable Xbox games from other sources, e.g., USA and Japan (and others!) to run on the system.
or
A European/UK (PAL) Xbox that has had a Software hack applied to it.

This means an Xbox that has been sourced in the UK that has then gone through a few steps that lets you exploit a loophole in the Xbox programming to allow you to bypass the region checking part of the code and also allow you to run and install non certified software.

[Instructions can be found here http://www.sbeyer.netfirms.com/gouki/part1.html
or
A USA/(JAP) (NTSC) Xbox that has had the power supply adapted to run at UK voltage. This Xbox will run USA/(JAP) Xbox games only.

A CD/software that will change the video output from PAL to NTSC (Enigma video switcher). This is sourced from the web.

A set of Xbox Hi Def component leads

Usually Microsoft’s own Hi def Pack available from
www.lik-sang.com
www.dvdboxoffice.com
www.mx2.co.uk

This lead connects to the Xbox and gives you component out connections, Stereo Phono audio out or, with an additional lead full optical Audio out enabling signals to 5.1surrond sound.

Although I have head others use the Gamester hi-def pack, but have heard that the picture quality is not as good (ghosting) when using the component output at the higher resolutions.

NOTE: the is not a UK Hi Def pack from Microsoft. You have to get e US or JAP sourced product.

A VDU that will sync to the different output signals.
(I do not cover the compatibility of different monitors, plasmas, projectors and TV’s as it is out of scope of this document.

Here is what you have to do.

a. Switch your Xbox signal output from PAL to NTSC (if needed)
b. Power on the Xbox without a cd/dvd (this will get you to the ‘Dashboard’, the green screens!)
c. Enter the date and time if needed, go to settings and video. Choose the type of screen you have, eg 4:3 or letterbox or widescreen and set the resolution 480p, 720p, 1080i to the desired settings. NOTE: unless you have a High Def lead attached, you will not get the resolution options.

Please let me know if you think anything needs to be adding or amending that will enhance this document. Thank you.

Small print!
This information is supplied without malice or warranty and I or others mentioned takes no responsibility for any actions resulting. There is no guarantee of accuracy of this information. Use at own risk.

Regards,

thebigkung

Here are some FQA that I have compiled.

Q. I only have UK (PAL) games will they output Hi Def?

A. Yes, but as no PAL game is written to take advantage of the Hi Def options 720p and 1080i PAL games will only play at the lowest res of 480p if the Xbox output is NTSC and 480i if set to PAL. This is still far superior than using the standard PAL output.

Q. I only have UK (PAL) games will they all work then the Xbox is set to NTSC?

A. No. Not ALL games will work, although it has been reported that the majority will. It’s just trial and error at them moment.

Q. Do all games output at the higher definition of 720p and 1080i?

A. No. Only US/JAP games that have been written to use the higher resolutions. One reference sight for Hi Def games is listed below.

http://www.hdtvpub.com/productdb/games/index.cfm?platform=xbox

Q. What does the is the ‘p’ and ‘i’ stand for at the end of the resolution number. E.g. 480p?

A. I = Interlace. P= Progressive scan. Progressive scan will reduce a more stable picture than Interlace at the same resolution.

Q. Can I use Xbox Live on a Hardware modded Xbox?

A. No. Unless you can turn off the mod you will likely get banned.

Q. Can I use Xbox Live on a Software modded Xbox?

A. Possible? Some people say they can, some get banned.

Q. How can I use Xbox Live in high res (I can turn off the mod chip)?

A. Stitch to NTSC setup Hi Def settings. Turn off the mod chip. Insert Xbox Live game and join.

Q. I have set my Xbox to NTSC but I cannot find the Hi def options in the menus?

A. The options only appear when you have the Xbox switched to NTSC AND have the Hi Def pack (lead) attached.

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
Quick question - when outputting xbox to a plasma (480i) it automatically "upgrades" the signal to 480p (as plasmas can't display interlaced signals!). Is the picture that you get from a modded xbox outputting 480p better than what you would get by just letting the plasma do the up conversion? (plasma in question will be a panny PW6 or 7)

ZZ

DJW666,

Sorry, not sure, I can't commit on that one as I have only used the MS Hi Def one. From what I can tell of this lead is that it dosn't have an optical connection so you won't get 5.1 surround output.

English_bob,

I do mention that you don't need a hardware mod and there is a working link to instructions. :rtfm: :hiya:

Zedzed,

That'll be subjective, as to how better or worse a job the xbox does of encoding progressive scan. I would think to your eye that you wouldn't notice the difference.

There is one other simple alternative.
Buy a US or Jap XBox!

Personaly I got a US machine since the software available in Japan is poor.

No need to spend extra money modding your machine.

Works right out of the box.

Only problem is you have to buy all US games.

So since only US games support higher than 480p - I dont suppose there are any shops around the UK (london specifically) that sell these or online is the only place?

Also, will playing DVD's, output progressive at high res?

pmccurdy said:
So since only US games support higher than 480p - I dont suppose there are any shops around the UK (london specifically) that sell these or online is the only place?

Also, will playing DVD's, output progressive at high res?

Not true, if the games supports PAL60 (i.e. actually outputs a PAL60 signal, like Burnout 3, PGR2 etc) then it will run in the hi def modes.

thebigkung said:
English_bob,

I do mention that you don't need a hardware mod and there is a working link to instructions. :rtfm: :hiya:

I was'nt trying to steal your thunder, just offering another link with a proven way to do the softmod. Calm down

ps can anyone recommend a good site for US games

zedzed said:
Quick question - when outputting xbox to a plasma (480i) it automatically "upgrades" the signal to 480p (as plasmas can't display interlaced signals!). Is the picture that you get from a modded xbox outputting 480p better than what you would get by just letting the plasma do the up conversion? (plasma in question will be a panny PW6 or 7)

ZZ

If Plasmas and LCDs work the same then I'd say yes. On interlaced my xbox looks blurry and leaves trails on my LCD telly but on progressive it's razor sharp.

The colours are also better on xbox component compared to RGB

zedzed said:

ZZ

i would suppose that outputting the game in 480p and displaying it in a plasma (progressive) would be better than outputting the game in 480i and letting the plasma de-interlace the signal....afaik in the full hi-def setup, there will be no deinterlacing involved as everything is processed progressively

now the difference on what you would actually see on your display comparing the two will be subjective though

hth

There are loads of sites that supply mod chips but how do get DVD to switch from PAL to NTSC

I don't know if this will help but here is what I get using the Hi def kit on my Plasma which is Hidef compatible.

The the HiDef pack connected to the xbox and xbox set to Pal.

Option to run Pal 50 (xbox setting 'no' pal 60) or Pal 60.

Running Pal 50 and Pal game Display sets to 625i (575i)
Running Pal 60 and Pal game Display sets to 525i (480i)

Running Pal 50 and NTSC game Display sets to 625i (575i)
Running Pal 50 and NTSC game Display sets to 525i (480i)

The the HiDef pack connected to the xbox and xbox set to NTSC with
480p, 720p and 1080i options set to Yes

Running Pal game Display sets to 525p (480p)
Running NTSC game Display sets to 525p (480p)

Running NTSC game that is 720p compatible Display sets to 750p (720p)
Running NTSC game that is 1080i compatible Display sets to 1125i (1080i)

Hi res games used. Soul Calibur II - Fantastic quality graphics at 720p, but it does not run in widescreen.

Dragons Lair 3D - Crap game - Super Hi res 1080i

True Crimes - Streets of LA - Fantastic graphics in 720p but driving seems slower.

Syberia - Again superb graphics at 720p but screen is shrunk. Cut sceens are full screen but lower res.

Pal games used. Outrun2, Dance uk.

All pictures when run in NTSC mode were noticeably better than when the xbox was set to Pal.

Have fun

thebigkung

thebigkung,
thanks for all that info,just ordered my leads can't wait to get my x-box running in HDTV.

Does anybody know if the PAL version of Halo2 will have hi-def modes built in or will i need to buy a US version to get the best picture?

Thanks in advance.

"2. A CD/software that will change the video output from PAL to NTSC (Enigma video switcher). This is sourced from the web."

If you have a modded xbox, do you still need this "CD/software"?

mark88 said:
"2. A CD/software that will change the video output from PAL to NTSC (Enigma video switcher). This is sourced from the web."

If you have a modded xbox, do you still need this "CD/software"?

Mark88,

Unless your mod changes the dashboard enabling you to switch your Xbox to NTSC output.

The steps you are going through are all about switching your Xbox from a Pal output to an NTSC output. It is this that allows HiDef output.

The mod just plays the part in that it allows you to run software (utilities, tools, etc) other than just playing a PAL xbox game.

Whether you run US ot UK games is not relevant to getting the Xbox to ouput Hi def, it's just another advantage of having a mod.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom