1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So, why is Pal PS not as good as NTSC...

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Family Guy, Jul 23, 2003.

1. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    or is it me?
    I'm running all my source kit (Panasonic S75, Sky +) through an Iscan pro. I used to just run the DVD player in NTSC PS and that was great...however, through the iscan, NTSC is still great but pal PS is, what shall we call it...? - shabby. Still get "jaggies" and whites seem to glow from the screen (albeit with a slightly blue tinge). As I said, NTSC PS is fine, just as it was running direct from the DVD player.
    The PJ is a Sony HS1 used with a Hoya filter and shows Pal PS (from DVD and Sky+) as 575/50p.
    Any help would be some help...Red Dragon was the source for the R2 BTW.

2. chips

chips

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    I used to have an Iscan Pro and found PAL Progressive at least as good as NTSC. Could be a PJ issue. 575/50P sounds right from memory though, 575 lines / 50Hz Progressive.

[Try R2 Gladiator, if you have it, as I know there were no problems with that on my Iscan Pro / HT200]

3. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    This doesn't sound right

4. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,956
    Just a thought - is the iscan definately outputting PAL, and not 480P?

If you're geting jaggies, it could be you are dropping lines somewhere.

Gary.

5. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Defo outputting 575/50p according to the PJ. I've come to the conclusion it must be something to do with the discs...since I started this thread, I've had the iscan a couple of weeks. I've now managed to watch a few R2 films through it and in most cases, the R2 is better than R1.
    I have found another dodgy disc though - Gangs Of New York R2. There are parts of this film where certain bits of the scenery appear to be alive - brick walls, wires running accross the road, iron fences etc. However things like Minority Reoort, Roadkill and Donnie Darko were as good as anything I've watched R1...?

I think we'll put it down to dodgy discs...

6. JUS

JUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +211
    I agree.

I've got my dvd player hooked up to tv and projector. On a number of occasions I've noticed things like this. So I've flicked on the TV and seen the faults on that... when looking at the tv from about 3/6 inches away!

Shrek (R1) closing credits is a good example. Watched on my projector they were jumping all over the place. Viewed on my 28" TV from 10 ft away I didn't notice it.

7. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'll have a look at that next time I run the PJ. I get a brilliant (with the constraints of the PJ obviously) picture via Sky+ running through the iscan as well. And the Xbox...nuff said.

8. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    is one ropey transfer. I have seen reg 1 and 2 and both are plauged by problems. Fired it up on my mates £2.5k Denon dvd deck and it even looked dodgy on this.

What a shame.

As you say, the walls have eyes.

Cap.

9. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    Not sure it applies here but most projectors if not all seem to be optimised for NTSC. My Panasonic AE100' LCD panels are near enough the actual ntsc widescreen resolution used for dvds etc. Therefore it gives its best results with ntsc material. Pal has to be scaled inside the projector and this degrades the picture. Hence for PAL dvds on my setup its better if I use my pc to scale the image before it enters the projector to get the best results.

The reverse is true of televisions as most euro spec television tubes are optimised for pal and give their best results with pal sources.