1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So why are these JS rgb>Component converters are so good everyone recomends them

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by cowtipper, May 27, 2004.

1. cowtipper

cowtipper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    as the title says why are they so special what do they add to a system
    the reason i ask is i have a pe30 and sky+ and everyone keeps recomending them to me but b4 i buy i wanted to know more about the kit and what it does that is great i thought it just converted the rgb in YUV and thats it

the way i see it is i have 2 choices my av rack is on the other side of the room to my screen so i can either buy a rgb>yuv converter a long component cable and hooks it up that way or i can buy a long rgb scart a connect it that way which is the cheapest option if the converter is going to offer em something special in terms of improving the PQ for £150 then i am more then willing to shell out the cash but if not then why spend the wedge

anyone :lease:

2. Warpaint

Warpaint

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    The main advantage of RGB-YUV convertor is that you can then do video switching through your AV amplifier/processor and have only one (YUV) cable going to your display. Most people will prefer to use YUV because from it supports progressive scan. (Which generally is better than interlaced)
    You will not see any picture improvement by simply converting RGB - YUV from your SKY box.
    As long as you use a good quality scart then you should be fine.

3. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    They are intended mostly for folks who have monitor plasma displays, not integrated TV's.

4. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Why are they so good? Well just pop a lid on this box and you will see this box has been built to a quality spec. It is simply in a different class to other ‘similar' type boxes I have seen built in the far east to the cheapest possible way. Dr S's web site has a good and accurate explanation of how it works, which is refreshing in it's own rite. He does this ‘himself' using affordable cases rather expensive metal ones. This all keeps the costs down to a region so that is well priced especially considering the high quality component / circuit used. It also measures well. They do what is say on the tin, no more no less. I wish most of the competition did. They work. :)

5. Jasonjo

Jasonjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    The JS tech converters are just that, "converters"...the idea behind it is to allow people to get the best output from their source (this is normally an RGB scart output) and input this to a plasma which may not have scart inputs, but is more likely to have YUV inputs or VGA inputs. Thereby you can achieve a much better picture as you dont have to put up with composite or svideo for sources which can do better...

In theory if your plasma accepts an RGB scart input already then there is not need for the converter...

However, some plasmas (notably the Panny) have quite poor scart inputs (relatively speaking) and hence you can often get a slightly better picture by using a converter and delivering your RGB scart output into the plasma via the VGA or component connectors. On the panny specifically you can achieve a much better picture using the RGB2VGA converter as the VGA...

Also, as most AV amps have component switching and not scart switching the RGB2YUV can be useful here...

If you do need the converter however, you cant get much better than the JS Tech ones, as they are excellent quality...:smashin:

Hope this helps...:)

JJ

6. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    nd what's more, if you have a technical issue he will always help, either here or by phone. He can do this cos there are no tech issues with them :D We use them for custom install projects, I wouldn't give another type a thought. We have the confidence even to build them in, knowing they won't be the 1st component to fail.

7. cowtipper

cowtipper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    guys thanks for the info i am running scart at the moment and except for the slight solarisation i get the picture is rock solid
    and i do realise that the converter willl not remove this so i think i will just stay with rgb scart and at a later date upgrade i cant see any reasons personally at the moment for me to upgrade.

8. mystex

mystex
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Guys, where would the best place to get one of these converters from, and are they just known as RGB2VGA converters? I'm thinking of getting the Panny PW6 and use the VGA input rather than purchase the individual input cards (at £120 each)!

9. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    He's a forum sponsor, check the list.

10. Jasonjo

Jasonjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted: