So who would buy a Panny 65PX600?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by elementalist2, Apr 26, 2007.

1. elementalist2

elementalist2
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'm sooo tempted, but it's sooo much money!

I'm looking for you expert folks to persuade/disuade me, if you feel the mood take you!

Some background to help the decision: -

I have an NEC HT510 projector giving me a 104" picture. I LOVE it though it shows it is a 'cheap' projector and I have to black out the room. The thought of going smaller turns me right off.
    I don't have any HD stuff yet. I'm not anxious to get to HD-DVD or (spit)Blu-ray(spit)(Evil Sony)(spit). I might be tempted to go to Sky HD but I REALLY resent not being able to put the movies I watch onto my Archos/PC if I want. I want to run my PC through my 'lounge' screen so I can use it media player/center and browse the web and run Kareoke software (!)
    I need to decorate my house, would like a new (not brand new car) and would like a new lounge screen, but can only afford one (especially if I go for the 65PX600!).

Thanks folks!

2. pppp1

pppp1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
  3. elementalist2

elementalist2
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Interesting. I'm rusty on my Czech language, though - would you know what the differences are?

The 58 seems to be about 75% of the price. Hmm.

Seems a little waiting may be in order - thanks lots for the info!

Must try and resist the urge to just go buy the new 65... Why doesn't the UK get the same options as other European countries. Pfft - what's the dang EU all about?! heh

I have a little confusion now, though, over model differences.

There seems to be PX, PV, PY and PZ with 60, 600, 70, 700 and then BAB, CAB, E, etc. postfixes. *sigh*

4. elementalist2

elementalist2
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Ok, so some research has solved that confusion, I think. It looks like only the 600 or 700 models are Full HD (1080p) and have the G10 screen and I think, since I'd like 58 to 65 inches, it would be silly (if the price isn't prohibitive) to not go Full HD - the large screen would really show the quality.

So, all the remains is a wait to see if more models appear. A 58-60 inch version might tempt me if it were nearer £3k than the £5.5k I'm seeing the 65 incher for.

It's probably tantamount to heracy on a forum where lots of retailers hang out, but, I wonder if anyone knows of a way of getting these cheaper? With a new car, for example, one could try and arrange a 'grey import'. Is there an AV equivalent?

If there are any UK retailers reading, don't worry too much! I simply wouldn't buy one at £5.5k, so you're not really losing a sale! That's probably an argument that's been had on these forums many times, though...

5. pppp1

pppp1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    if you google panasonic th-65pz700e the only results you get are for .cz and .sk (slovakia) sites. i don't know why these tvs are available in only those two countries now but i hope they will be available everywhere else soon.

6. choddo2006

choddo2006

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +542
    They're probably assembled there.

elementalist, fyi only the 65" version of the 600 is FullHD, the 42 and 50 are only 768 lines.

I'm sure you can grey import since EU law specifically allows it, but you'll probably need to brush up your Czech ;) And I wouldn't want to post it back if it had a dead pixel!

Also you said a large screen would really show the quality of 1080p, but you don't have any HD sources? What it will do is show the poor quality of most SD stuff - do you find that an issue with your PJ?

7. pppp1

pppp1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    if they are assembled in the czech republic would they be more expensive in other countries?

8. choddo2006

choddo2006

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +542
    Not necessarily

9. elementalist2

elementalist2
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'm thinking of upgrading all my equipment (new amp, HDDVD, Sky HD, etc.) when I get a new plasma.

I just saw the Samsung P96 series on the net and have a possibility of a good price for one... anyone know if they are 'good'?

10. Moviebuff

Moviebuff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +316
    I'm chuffed to nuts with my 65PX600 - a friend of mine was so impressed when he came round, that he bought one aswell!!!

I've had it since Dec 06, and it hasn't missed a beat.

11. Ewoody

Ewoody

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +308
    Hi moviebuff ... what's Sky SD like on a 65 inch screen.
    what's your viewing distance.

12. Moviebuff

Moviebuff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +316
    Both the built in Freeview & SKY SD channels are surprisingly good. The Panasonic makes a far better job of it, than the Pio 504 which was our previous main panel. Infact, one of the most noticeable things that we observed, when it first arrived, was not just the size, but the improvement in PQ.

The Pioneer makes a good job of HD, but suffers badly (in comparison) on SD.

Only with the real low bandwidth channels, does the quality become noticeable. Viewing distance at it's closest is 10ft! - but generally about 15ft.