So who works in IT then.

Setenza

Prominent Member
Reaction score
There seems to be a lot of people on these boards who work in that nebulous field that is IT.

Go on, own up :)

So why do you do it?

Is it the money or the women :rotfl: (or men if you're a women or non-hetro).

I work in IT, I started because 25 years ago it was a great career to be in :D

Not so much now with all the "experts" around :rolleyes:

I remember a conversation with my little sister (18 years younger than me) after she had done a short IT course: -

"I'm working in IT now I have passed my course"
"Oh yes, what are you doing?"
"I'm the computer expert at the place I'm working at"
"Sounds good, what operating system are you all using?"
"Word of course, everybody does!"

:rotfl:

I still really like IT, computers are my hobby as well as a tool to earn money. I just hate it when a family member or friend calls you up at 9pm and start the conversation with "you know my computer....."

Always makes me laugh when they then go on to explain a problem with a particular piece of software and I say I have never used that software, but they still carry on asking for answers!

I have often wanted to say "OK no problems, I will call round. Shall we say £100 call out and £30 a hour to fix it?".

After all that's what an emergency plumber would say :devil:

I've only being doing support for a couple of years at a local College. Moneys in the city though.

I get that as well.

I say "Pop it in. I'll have a look and tell you a price".

Never hear from them after. :rolleyes:

All expect it for nothing. :)

I used to work in IT, mainly for the cash, contracting in London used to be very easy money, got very sick of it in the end, a lot of people got in to it and a lot of them only knew what they had read in a book, no commercial experience at all!

Decided to try something else, glad I did looking at some of the salaries in IT now....:eek:

I'm the IT techy for my family. I set up a new computer for my aunt recently and started showing her how to copy files over her network... but she was more impressed at how I knew how to copy and paste. I'm going back over tomorrow to show her how to do various things.

"I'm working in IT now I have passed my course"
"Oh yes, what are you doing?"
"I'm the computer expert at the place I'm working at"
"Sounds good, what operating system are you all using?"
"Word of course, everybody does!"

:rotfl:

Sounds just like my family.

"Your aunt's computer doesn't have enough memory or something to open the pictures I email her."
"I've specced a new computer for her with 1GB of memory."
"Is that all?! Mine's got 40GB and it's a few years old."

Ok, so there are different types of memory.

Then I say "Windows XP is getting old now, Vista is the new one"
"I'm still using Windows 2003"
"Windows Server?"
"I dunno, the one you type on."

It's all very well scoffing at people for not knowing the difference between gibibytes and gigabits, but we all started somewhere. In the mean time, I'll use my nerdy powers to make myself feel superior for once.

I enjoy my work in IT plus I am the only IT guy at my place of work so in the land of the blind and all that...

I don't teally mind helping people out when they have IT related problems, but if I think someone is pushing their luck I will tell them where to get off.

I work in IT Support in the midlands..... have been doing it for around 10 years or so...

Mainly for the women, fame and the odd pro snooker players acceptance...;)

I work in IT for an Investment Bank and it's not as glam as it sounds. - "Have you rebooted it" or "Have you switched it on/off" ala IT Crowd. Works a treat though :rotfl:

I'm more at the (business) software application end rather than IT "techy" systems stuff. My expertise is in "ERP" "SCM" "BI" plus a whole load of other acronyms which the software industry has a penchant for! I've been in consultancy/implementation/Account Management and Sales. I had nearly 12 years with Computer Associates. :eek:

Currently looking for a job myself.

For me, it's the enjoyment then the money. Wife is in IT as well but that doesn't stop me from being the household tech support

I have been in IT since I was 8 years old (setting up computers everyday and doing support pretty much throughout school). I still love it now as much as I loved it then, though back then it was about punching in co-ordinates and watching a turtle move on the screen of an Apple II.

These days, I have moved up into senior management by working up the ranks while studying at uni. The fact that I am still passionate about it and not just doing it for the money has helped me get where I am.

As for the so called "experts", I remember an insurance company I did some contracting at. They pay perms and contractors really well and the atmosphere is really relaxed, yet the staff would cry about how hard they were working. Anyways there was one guy who felt that he knew alot because he could baffle people with what LCD stood for. I'll just get my coat.

Guilty sir although I haven't had that much 'proper' experience, I'm the one many in IT look down at as stupid etc but you've got to start somewhere.

I started using Computers with the Spectrum and I enjoyed PC's for games when they became affordable and in previous employment I was the unofficial IT support guy.

I done my A+ and MCP XP last year fter being made redundant from my previous job in the hope I could become a PC Engineer of some description.

Got a Helpdesk job after getting fed up with a roll out post not materialising and was in the job for 3 weeks then was in an accident on the way home and I've never worked since.

Hoping to get back into it in some form or another though.

Liam

I started using Computers with the Spectrum
Tsk! kids today. I think you'll find hardcore users started with a ZX81 with a 16K RAM pack wobbling precariously in its socket. I remember wondering how anyone could possibly need such an excess of storage :)

PS - having studied the IT people where I work is the correct answer to the original question "nobody"?

Yep I work in IT but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone wanting a secure career these days, too many jobs being outsourced to India, pay rises are non existent or pitiful. It used to be a career you could be proud of and feel secure in, now I'm almost ashamed to admit I work in IT

I work in IT! Have been for about 3 years now... not bad. I work predominantly with networks (Cisco especially). Still has a certain charm... although I'm doing a law degree to get out of it eventually. :)

i escaped IT 4 months ago. I worked in IT for about 10 years and i never realised how much i hated it until i left.

Much of IT has become "McDonalds with a keyboard" - i pity all of you. :)

Gary

What are you doing now Gary?

I'm in IT. I went into IT becuase you don't need to study 5 years for a degree and then have loads of student debt before you start working earning a "Ok" salary. I have been working for 10 years now and am in Investment Banking IT. The money and benefits are great. Mainly I would say I am in it for the money and becuase it's easy as pie. Also you get to see different people everyday and don't sit head down at a desk all day long. I also get to travel everywhere I am needed. I just came back from 4 weeks in LA fully paid for by my company.

The money and the benefits ;) Free hosting, free DSL etc etc

The money must be good, or you wouldn't be able to afford all those L lenses you have :)

Just out of interest, what areas in IT are the most popular or where the most opportunities are? What are the typical salary brackets??

The money must be good, or you wouldn't be able to afford all those L lenses you have :)

Just out of interest, what areas in IT are the most popular or where the most opportunities are? What are the typical salary brackets??

Heh yeah double income house is cool ;)

The best area's are historically Swindon, Midlands way as far as I know, the brackets depend on the area. I know our lot pay well for the area but not the sector as it all depends on location :|

Heh yeah double income house is cool ;)

The best area's are historically Swindon, Midlands way as far as I know, the brackets depend on the area. I know our lot pay well for the area but not the sector as it all depends on location :|

Ok thanks, (when I said "area", I actually meant what branch of IT) pays well. :rolleyes::rotfl:

The reason I ask is I sometimes consider a change of career and it interests me to know what jobs realistically pays well or not

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom