So who will be no. 2 at Ferrari next year!

Sandman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My money is on Perez. He has been excellent this year but is still pretty inexperienced so could toe the line and learn from Alonso at the same time.

As much as I would like to see Button driving a Ferrari I would hate to see him as a no.2 driver (I think he is tied to mclaren anyway).

di Resta.....

massa

It would be a good move for Perez, not at all for Button.
Massa isn't pulling his weight, so should be replaced, however, I dislike Ferrari on the whole, so don't care. :)

Massa as seat warmer for Vettel in 2014.

I can't see why Perez would take it if it's a one season job. The obvious candidate was Webber who could have taken the oodles of cash and then have gone and raced other things for Ferrari like Fisi does in GT-Pro (AF Corse are effectively a Ferrari works team). Now he's signed up with RBR it seems to be Massa by default.

Last edited:
I really can't see them keeping Massa, although he has improved recently all he did was embarrass Ferrari for the 1st half a dozen races this year. He isn't scoring the points or helping Alonso win the championship.
Personally I think it would be a bad career move for di resta.

I can't see why Vettel would move there eventually either. Not when Alonso is signed up until 2016.
It would be worth Ferrari getting a young up and comer, and Perez has bags of potential.

Perez or Massa, they would view di Resta as no better than Massa and thus would rather keep Massa to help develop the car.

di Resta is a very underrated driver, think its going to be between him and perez...

KyleS1 said:
I can't see why Vettel would move there eventually either. Not when Alonso is signed up until 2016.
It would be worth Ferrari getting a young up and comer, and Perez has bags of potential.

Lots of people seem to think the pre-contract is done ok it may be non binding but I think he's more likely to be there than not in 2014. Who Ferrari pick for 2013 (seat warmer or hot prospect) will confirm this one way or the other.

Of course this was meant to be Kubica's seat but sadly that looks destined never to happen.

Well hopefully he moves there, and ferrari return to having a stinker of a car. :)
I'd like to see Hamilton in a Redbull.

I'd go with Perez too. He's not 100% formed but most of the time he gets good results and he's clearly a good prospect. I don't believe that Vettel will move to Ferrari in 2014, with Alonso firmly esconced as the no. 1 driver - why on Earth would Vettel want to move from being the (de facto) no. 1 in the best team to being no. 2 in the 3rd or 4th best team???

I don't believe that Vettel will move to Ferrari in 2014, with Alonso firmly esconced as the no. 1 driver - why on Earth would Vettel want to move from being the (de facto) no. 1 in the best team to being no. 2 in the 3rd or 4th best team???

Well the pre-contract agreement is meant to be a two way thing apparently and is performance related so either side might pull out. I think Vettel would love to drive for Ferrari there's always talk about how he is in to the history of the sport etc. and ticking off achievements.

Also remember 2014 is the year of the change to V6 turbos, Adrian Newey has already been warning that the championship may be determined by the performance of the engines (especially with ever more restrictive chassis regs) so that might enter his thinking. That said there are some Newey to Ferrari rumours as well so that would be a pretty nice double play for them.

Anyway as I said early we will get a big hint about Ferrari's plan by whoever they pick for the no. 2 seat next year. If it's Massa on a one year deal then the odds of SV joining in 2014 will surely be slashed.

Last edited:
would newey relocate to italy, though? ferrari tried a british designer who wouldn't relocate to italy in the 80's and it failed to work. even with today's sophisticated communications, there's no substitute for being hands on and in the loop, so to speak. no, it's most unlikely that newey would go to ferrari, and besides red bull can pay him far more (and offer him total control of design) than ferrari could justify ...or anyone else for that matter, which is the whole reason he's at red bull, anyway.

i agree that massa staying will signify a big arrival in 2014. it would be awesome to see hamilton and alonso together as i think both now agree that they were both the best and most formidable team mates either have ever had. sadly, those unique set of circumstances could never be reproduced.

They must have something in mind for 2014,as the door is still open for Massa(publicly at least) if he ups his game a fair bit.

Perez looks likely for that,although the Vettel rumours also persist.

I would rather see Perez in that seat, even though I don't like Ferrari, as they have a good car at the moment, and he is a very capable driver, which has shown in his results with Sauber. It would give him a chance to really show what he is capable of too.

A mug whoever it will be

Not sure I agree. Don't forget that even if someone like Perez or Di Resta gets the seat for 2013 and is then shown the door to make way for Vettel in 2014, Vettel's seat will then be free (and possibly Webber's too, depending on when he retires). Also, who knows how long Button will carry on in F1, and Schumacher won't stay around for ages, so there will be seats available in the big teams. Going to Ferrari for a year would put that driver into the top league, and therefore in prime position to take one of those other seats. And, of course, if Vettel doesn't make the switch, then that driver is already sitting in the Ferrari.

That's why I think it does make sense for one of the up-and-coming drivers. It could also make sense for someone looking for one last year before retirement (for example, Webber or Schumacher), but it doesn't make sense for Hamilton (or Button, if he wants to carry on driving past 2013).

OTOH there are surely many more factors than those (money being one of them!), and so I'm prepared to be totally wrong!

I think Massa might be the easy option for Ferrari, but I'm afraid that it would mean that they would be abandoning the constructor's championship before it begins. I like Massa, he seems like a good guy and he was a very good drive but he hasn't delivered the goods since his accident, and it's not going to happen in 2013 either. He isn't helping Alonso in the races and he isn't scoring points. He's had a couple of decent races recently, but they are very much the exception, not the rule.

would newey relocate to italy, though? ferrari tried a british designer who wouldn't relocate to italy in the 80's and it failed to work. .
Wasn't it the 90s with Barnard? and the Ferrari 412T was a lovely car to look at.

icstm said:
Wasn't it the 90s with Barnard? and the Ferrari 412T was a lovely car to look at.

Barnard and Brunner.

Actually one of the better Ferrari cars for that era although it didn't win much but it did return them to a more competitive footing.

I am sure I remember an Autosport front page at the time which said it was like a stone smoothed by the ocean.
Wasn't it also the last blood red Ferrari?

Not sure I agree. Don't forget that even if someone like Perez or Di Resta gets the seat for 2013 and is then shown the door to make way for Vettel in 2014, Vettel's seat will then be free (and possibly Webber's too, depending on when he retires). Also, who knows how long Button will carry on in F1, and Schumacher won't stay around for ages, so there will be seats available in the big teams. Going to Ferrari for a year would put that driver into the top league, and therefore in prime position to take one of those other seats. And, of course, if Vettel doesn't make the switch, then that driver is already sitting in the Ferrari.

To get a drivers seat in todays F1 is all about bringing in sponsorship. Driving for Ferrari for 1 year whilst may be prestigeous does not guarantee other team will be interested once you leave especially if you have a poor season

I think it'll be Perez. He looks like an awesome driver, and in the future someone said they'd love to see Hamilton in Red Bull; as would I, although if the pairing was Hamilton and Vettel, I'd say the constructor's championship would be pretty much guaranteed for a few seasons :p

Thinking left field, either putting up with Massa another season or putting a test driver in there: Other Drivers

As good an opportunity it would be, would a up and coming driver not prefer mid-term security than be a one season seat warmer?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom