So who has pre-ordered a Panasonic PH9?

Brother

Novice Member
Not me. Yet. But sorely tempted.

I see that the americans are taking deliveries of theirs and the initial impressions are generally good (albeit 'early').

The price looks right - so who has one coming?

jimlad2000

Brother said:
Not me. Yet. But sorely tempted.
I'm almost convinced the GF thats its a good idea to get one as will be saving on not buying the 58 42" Fujitsu :thumbsup: although I would really love the Fuji :devil:

I've got to be realistic :cool:

Brother

Novice Member
Mmm I've been toying with the Fujitsu too but the price premium is very significant.

Also, you will be able to pick up a HDMI 1.3 card for the PH9 so it will be more future proof (I guess).

The physical design is not as great as the Fujitsu but you will be saving about £1k - not to be sniffed at considering what you could buy with that.

A PS3 and HD DVD player would be nice. Or a very decent receiver. Etc.

B

Big Jim

Brother said:
Also, you will be able to pick up a HDMI 1.3 card for the PH9 so it will be more future proof (I guess).
where did you hear you will be able to get a 1.3 card for the 9 series? great news if so, we just need native at 50hz via digital now.

G

grifter33

I'm just about to put in an order for a PH9. Is the 9UK model referred to on the American avsforum site the exact same panel as the PH9 to be released over here?

marklintonarnol

Novice Member
I have one on order from Panasonic Shop and doing it for me for £2600 with HDMI board and delivery/setup. Cant wait to hook it up to my SkyHD and DVD player. I should be getting it the 3rd week of August so i reckon i will probably be one of the first to get it.

G

grifter33

I'm going to order through av-sales. Getting the PH9 (£1435) with two HDMI boards, one for Sky HD and the other for a Panasonic SC-HT855 home cinema system. I think this looks a good price compared to the PHD8.

It's my first plasma so looking forward to it. After months of reading all about 'running in a plasma' and configuring panels i think I'm ready to dive in!

dickst3

Novice Member
marklintonarnol said:
I have one on order from Panasonic Shop and doing it for me for £2600 with HDMI board and delivery/setup.
What size are you guys talking about?

G

grifter33

I'm looking at getting the 42" PH9 for £1435 from av-sales.

dickst3

Novice Member
grifter33 said:
I'm looking at getting the 42" PH9 for £1435 from av-sales.
Thanks, so the 50" must be about £2,500 i guess. I'll do some research!

Brother

Novice Member
The guys on the US forum are talking about the HDMI 1.3 card as pretty much certain - one of them is going to list a confirmation from Panasonic on availability. I'll post the link when I see it come up.

I guess it makes sense that there will be a card for this in line with the panel being customisable.

TarMoo

The PH9 has higher contrast and brightness than the PHD8. From the feedback on AVS it also seems to be prone to image retention during the first 200 hours despite being in Cinema mode with settings turned down.

jimlad2000

connect said:
I preordered mine from AV-Sales today in black. Includes a free wall mount. 42" BTW
:smashin:

Have you got a delivery date mate?

As just about to order one my self just cant decide on colour as cant remember if they do the 201's in black :rolleyes:

mhjo

I have preordered one here in Norway - delivery 1. Week of September.

I have also asked Panasonic about the HDMI 1.3 Board, and they have forwarded the Question over to P in Japan. I will post Reply if I get it.

I have Brochure and User Manual for the PH9 on PDF if anyone need them. Good for planning Connections etc.

(e-mail: jhnetrom * online.no)

Morten

A

arikhard

Brother said:
This is worth a look actually:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=8160874#post8160874

These guys have taken delivery.

Interestingly the first guy up got one that was faulty. Bet that wasn't a good feeling.

I wonder with brand new models whether jumping right in is for the best or wait a couple of months for initial production issues to settle down.
I think that PHD8 may well be better (or at least not worse) panel than PH9. In US forum there are more than one people who are received faulty (in Mexico assembled) PH9 panels:

"Well, I had an 8UK on order with an online vendor, but after a week it went from "processing" status to On (back) order with no estimated delivery date. So I cancelled it, and placed an order for the 9UK with VA. I placed that order Saturday, and the screen arrived on Wednesday.. great service... BUT... while the face glass was intact, there were 2 cracks in the display screen itself behind the face glass..."

connect

jimlad2000 said:
:smashin:

Have you got a delivery date mate?

As just about to order one my self just cant decide on colour as cant remember if they do the 201's in black :rolleyes:
No they just said around September. Could be before could be after or could be the 1st!!

G

grifter33

Well, after much research I've gone ahead and pre-ordered the 42PH9 from av-sales. Got it with 2 HDMI boards for SKY HD and the Panasonic SC-HT855 home cinema system. It comes with a free deskstand.

They said it would be September before they're in and that they'd call around then to arrange the deliveries. The opinions on the American avsforum.com seem generally positive apart from a few dead pixel stories.

Just have to buy a stand to put it on now and get Sky HD in!

Paul D

Can i ask what are the benefits of going for the panel instead of the Viera TV?

It used to be the case that the TV version was much more expensive, and degraded the picture via the media box etc.
I chose the 5 series panel over the TV version three/four years a go, but now i'm not so sure!

I can get a 50" PX600(wall) Viera with 2x HDMI/Three scarts RGBx2/Svideo/Component and VGA, for about the same as a 50" 9 series with two HDMI modules. (£2700)

Then add the fact that the Viera comes with wall bracket/freeview TV/speakers and SD slot, it doesn't make sense to go with the panel.

What benefits will the HDMI 1.3 module offer over current HDMI?
If it's the improved colour space of 1.3, then i'm not sure any current plasma can do it justice. (DLP/SXRD front projection maybe, but not current plasma etc)

This is a serious question, and not trying to start an argument.
I'm ready to upgrade now, and haven't had time to do my normal research of current trends!:D

So ANY info on the differences will be much appreciated:smashin:

sapper

I see that the Mediafactory is now showing documentation regarding the new nine series panasonics including the 1080p Plasma Display.

Has anyone in the trade seen these units nd able tomake any comments? The Basic units at 50 inch seem to be going for £2.5 K.

Any news, information on these units would be appreciated.

The comments from the Americans seem generally favourable so far part from dead pixels..

Adrian

chrisuk01

Novice Member
"documentation regarding the new nine series panasonics including the 1080p Plasma Display"

by this do you mean it can accept 1080p or it can put[ut 1080p ?

if it can output is there any links for it yet ?

and what is the estimated price

thanks

Paul D

The TH-50PF9 1920x1080 certainly has an advantage over the Viera 50" 1366x768 versions!
I wasn't sure when this would release over here so was going to pass it up, but it looks like just a few months.
I would be very interested in getting this full resolution model, but any idea on price?

Joe? :D (Pm me to quote and order:smashin: )

Link to the Media Factory (Joes company)
http://www.tmfsolutions.co.uk/

audiophile911

Standard Member
I just ordered one from AV-Sales with a stand and HDMI board.

They said that they might actually arrive by the end of this week! I can't wait as I've been waiting years to get a big screen.

I would be great to hear from whoever gets the first one!

-AL

sapper

audiophile911 said:
I just ordered one from AV-Sales with a stand and HDMI board.

They said that they might actually arrive by the end of this week! I can't wait as I've been waiting years to get a big screen.

I would be great to hear from whoever gets the first one!

-AL
Well September starts next week (just).

It would be good to see the first units being shipped, and memebers opinions on them, good and bad.

News on the Panasonic TH-50PF9 1920x1080 model would also be of much interest, together with costings; etc.

Adrian

P

Panicsony

HDMI 1.3 identifies three connectors.

Type A - The current HDMI connector
Type B - a larger connector for "dual link" connection.
Type C - a compact connector, same signals as Type A but for use on cameras/camcorders etc.

The Type A connector can carry all current signals up to, and including, 1080i.

The Type B connector can also take 1080p signals from Blue Ray, PS3 and X Box 360HD when all these are available.

As the standard PH9 panels are 1024 x 768 (TH-42PH9) and 1366 x 768 (TH-50PH9) they cannot display the full 1920 x 1080 resololutions. Consequentley there is no point in using a Type B connection for these models and there will be no board available.

For the models that are 1920 x 1080 native resolution however......

chambeaj

Current HDMI connections (HDMI 1.1 or above) are perfectly capable of carrying 1080p (providing a suitably spec'd cable is used).

audiophile911

Standard Member
Now that delivery of these new panels is imminent, should we be starting a PH9 owners thread?

Would the run-in procedure be the same as the PW8 or other panny plasma's?

Thanks,
Alex

choddo2006

Novice Member
Panicsony said:
HDMI 1.3 identifies three connectors.

Type A - The current HDMI connector
Type B - a larger connector for "dual link" connection.
Type C - a compact connector, same signals as Type A but for use on cameras/camcorders etc.

The Type A connector can carry all current signals up to, and including, 1080i.

The Type B connector can also take 1080p signals from Blue Ray, PS3 and X Box 360HD when all these are available.

As the standard PH9 panels are 1024 x 768 (TH-42PH9) and 1366 x 768 (TH-50PH9) they cannot display the full 1920 x 1080 resololutions. Consequentley there is no point in using a Type B connection for these models and there will be no board available.

For the models that are 1920 x 1080 native resolution however......
Is that just utter speculation and claptrap? It sure sounds like it.

Trending threads

Latest news

Best Home AV Products 2019 - Editor's Choice Awards
  • By Steve Withers
  • Published
Disney+ unveils Maclunkey cut of Star Wars: A New Hope
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Disney+ subscribers experience launch day technical jitters
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Netflix to stop supporting older Samsung TVs in December