So where is the Sony Dolby Vision Update?

Good news everyone!

Vincent Teoh from HDTV Test has provided some Dolby Vision information from Sony in his 77inch A1E OLED review as he was able to ask them directly.

Skip to 12:30 for the video:

He also shows some footage and some DV menu updates from a Beta firmware version he's seen.

In short, Sony will confirm a date in December so this might mean a Jan release. Apparently it was more difficult to integrate the DV algorithm into X1 extreme chipset than they first thought.

He also talks about Sony tone mapping philosophy mentions that Sony engineers recommend you keep advanced contrast enhancer off for the most accuate representation. Personally I like to have mine on low.

Wow so we are now 18 December and still no official announcement from Sony on the Dolby Vision release date. I'm a little concerned that it has been so difficult to get Dolby Vision working on their X1 Extreme chipset. I thought it was going to be a simple firmware update but I guess that was the gamble I made when I picked the Sony XE93 over the LG b6 oled.

By the time I can watch Dolby Vision the 2018 models will be out haha!

Time for a couple of stupid questions...
1) How will my TV be updated with this feature?
2) Will it improve my normal Freeview TV viewing?

Be gentle......

Time for a couple of stupid questions...
1) How will my TV be updated with this feature?
2) Will it improve my normal Freeview TV viewing?

Be gentle......
1) Firmware OTA upgrade
2) No

:)

x930e will get end of the year , but currently HDR 10 vs Dolby Vision you will not spot a major difference on all TVs. Dolby Vision requires a 12bit panel , none of the premium TVs across lg / sony has it.

Why the need for a 12 bit panel to benefit from the dynamic Metadata? Doesn't local dimming plus a 10 bit panel also give you the dynamic range latitude required to at least partially benefit from scene-specific metadata from the grading session?

*EDIT - thinking about this more, isn't Dolby's 12 bit range because they are using PQ and want to master over wider brightness range than others - coping with grades for dim cinemas and bright outside locations? The 12 bit isn't about displaying all 12 bits of brightness at once, it is about having a PQ range of 12 bits isn't it? *

Last edited:
@Sony65

This will not change your SDR content in any way, shape or form. It's enabling the set to display Dolby Vision HDR content, available on streaming platforms (though I don't know which) and on certain Ultra HD 4K discs.

The update should take place in the same way that every prior firmware update has been.

I just got my self 65inch xe93, so not good news on the software update so far. Think am going to turn my auto software update off for now. For it taking this long may be bugs, or may actually avoid the problems LG are having right now. Who knows. But I be on the safe side for now.

I just got my self 65inch xe93, so not good news on the software update so far. Think am going to turn my auto software update off for now. For it taking this long may be bugs, or may actually avoid the problems LG are having right now. Who knows. But I be on the safe side for now.
See that's what I always want to do but never do = instant download and regret :laugh::devil:

See that's what I always want to do but never do = instant download and regret :laugh::devil:
Itchy fingers I suppose.:rotfl:Should I or should I not. :facepalm:

First time watching Stranger things season 2. Now this is much better mastered in terms of HDR compared to season 1. Not overly bright. Much much better.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom