So where is the Sony Dolby Vision Update?

TastySanchez

Standard Member
Has anyone heard any news? I thought it would be out by now. I've got a Sony XE93 65 inch - the Dolby Vision update was actually one of the key reasons I chose it over the XE90.

Rizlablue

Standard Member
Has anyone heard any news? I thought it would be out by now. I've got a Sony XE93 65 inch - the Dolby Vision update was actually one of the key reasons I chose it over the XE90.

From my sources, it will land at some point in Q3 alongside Alexa support and a few other features. It is taking a bit longer due to Chromecast DV support as far as I am aware.

TastySanchez

Standard Member
Thought I would check back in to see if anyone has seen any news for Dolby Vision? I heard about a firmware update comming for the Sony soundbar for DV passthrough but that's it.

Can't believe we're basically in November and still waiting.

Also wondering if you guys think there is any chance of a dolby atmos passthrough update? Probably just wishful thinking on my part.

D

Deleted member 770082

Sony announced its new 2017 range of TVs at CES in January and promised to enable Dolby Vision HDR on select models via a later firmware update. This is still the plan but owners will need a little more patience. The update is now scheduled for the “end of the year”.

Dolby Vision will be added to the Sony A1 OLED, X94E, X93E, and last year’s Z9D. The more affordable models will not receive the update but already supports HDR10 and HLG.

SP00KY

Sony announced its new 2017 range of TVs at CES in January and promised to enable Dolby Vision HDR on select models via a later firmware update. This is still the plan but owners will need a little more patience. The update is now scheduled for the “end of the year”.

Dolby Vision will be added to the Sony A1 OLED, X94E, X93E, and last year’s Z9D. The more affordable models will not receive the update but already supports HDR10 and HLG.
The end of which year? ;)

SP00KY

Meant to be this year ... So glad I can cross Sony off my list for buying a new TV . Never was a fan of crap
And yet it's as far from being crap is it could possibly be.

D

Deleted member 770082

Poor customer services . lack of updates etc , Overpriced outdated tv's .. fanboy's dream I guess

SP00KY

It's rather crass to simply dismiss people as 'fanboys'. Describing the A1 as 'crap'? It's the sort of comment I view as trolling and calling people who buy them 'fanboys' is just more trolling and rather immature. Perhaps you know something about the TV that none of the reviewers know.

Utterly bizarre comments. It reminds me of someone who 'chooses' to buy a Skoda rather than a Ferrari because you can't drive at more than 70... righto.

D

Deleted member 770082

Sorry if you took it personal. I have actually been looking for weeks for another TV . I looked at reviews . and Sony's rep ( if you can say it actually has one ) is worse than Hisense .. To me customer service means a lot and is part of the process of purchasing a product , whether it's a TV or a vehicle . My money goes to a decent Company that actually looks after it's customers , not fobs them off for months at a time

Last edited by a moderator:

Chamberlain

Sorry if you took it personal. I have actually been looking for weeks for another TV . I looked at reviews . and Sony's rep ( if you can say it actually has one ) is worse than Hisense .. To me customer service means a lot and is part of the process of purchasing a product , whether it's a TV or a vehicle . My money goes to a decent Company that actually looks after it's customers , not fobs them off for months at a time

I think both LG and Sony make great TVs and it's probably not LGs fault but there's quite a bit of talk of elevated blacks and grey transition scenes on Netflix now with Dolby Vision content with LGs 2017 range and with discs some movies have elevated blacks too, it is possible Sony are waiting until everything works as it should.

And imo it's very rare manufacturers gives a crap about customers, Sony are crap, LG are crap and Samsung too, they think everything is within spec. Thats why i only deal with stores now because they are actually trying to help

Last edited by a moderator:

TastySanchez

Standard Member
I contacted Sony support the other day. They confirmed the Dolby Vision update is definately still comming.

Also good news is they confirmed that the XE93 supports Dolby Atmos passthrough via HDMI. It also supports this via the internal netflix app. I don't have an atmos setup yet to test however this is perfect for me as atmos is my next planned upgrade. :clap:

dr no

Poor customer services . lack of updates etc , Overpriced outdated tv's .. fanboy's dream I guess
Less of the ‘fanboy’ talk please :nono:

D

Deleted member 770082

Less of the ‘fanboy’ talk please :nono:
No Probs ... I have nothing more to add to this subject . I will stick with the brand I know and trust . I hope all you Sony owners get what you want ,whatever and whenever it is being released

marcd5123

No Probs ... I have nothing more to add to this subject . I will stick with the brand I know and trust . I hope all you Sony owners get what you want ,whatever and whenever it is being released
Hi Chriskz, I so totaly agree with you .

I recently jumped ship from Sony Android 2015 TV to awesome LG SJ model .

I owned my Sony TV for 8 months and had nothing but issues with it .

I had by far the worse customer service in my life from Sony they are just dreddfull I mean realy bad .

Their Android OS is awful Sony updates are seriously bad I mean waiting for over a year to get Android TV Marshmallow 6.01 this year for all 2015/16 models and then after 3 days Sony had to pull it off their website .

It's taken over a years and still Amazon judder issues !!!

Iv had my LG for just over a month now and wow wow wow owww Webos is just freaking awesome! !!!

LG surports Dolby Vison on almost all their Lines not just the top end .

In fact LG supports Dolby Vison Dolby Atmos added Dolby true HD pass through via HDMI recent update and HLG ...And Sony can't even sort out a judder issues with Amazon External HDD not being seen after a few days my God the list goes on .

LG may not be perfect but nothing and I mean nothing like the faults that Sony Android TV were having .

I'm not alone you just head over to Sony UK community forums own website and you will see the list of problems dating back to late last year and just see how bad Sony dealing with these issues .

D

Deleted member 770082

Nice to know that someone is honest . I have had LG for 17 years and no problems . Looks as though I will look at oleds or the SJ series .. 850v upwards . I appreciate the comment

Ihaboo

Standard Member
x930e will get end of the year , but currently HDR 10 vs Dolby Vision you will not spot a major difference on all TVs. Dolby Vision requires a 12bit panel , none of the premium TVs across lg / sony has it.

marcd5123

x930e will get end of the year , but currently HDR 10 vs Dolby Vision you will not spot a major difference on all TVs. Dolby Vision requires a 12bit panel , none of the premium TVs across lg / sony has it.
Hi ihaboo. .

Just browsing the Sony thread been a little while .

Unfortunately I do need to correct you .

Their is quite a noticeable difference between watching standard HDR10 And Dolby Vison .

Dolby Vison is way better than HDR10 .

Watching Dolby Vison on Netflix either Stranger Things or New Star Trek Discovery or any of the Marvel content .

It not just the look the texture of the picture is streets ahead of standard HDR 10 .

I watched HDR10 on Amazon Prime and then watched Dolby Vison on Netflix and Dolby Vison wins it hands down !.

Also luminance is far brighter than standard HDR10 so another big plus side to the format .

I'm not alone on this .Their are many youtube videos form various well know websites including AVFORUMS What HI-FI Techradar.com all stating that DV wins it hands Down to standard HDR10 .

Also need to add Dolby Vison can work upto 12 bit so it's future proffed for the next generation of Pannels it will work quite happy on a 10bit Pannel.

Or its capacity is upto 12bit.

I think there was a good article I read by Techradar.com that explained this now that long ago .

I own a LG 49SJ800V and never looked back after getting rid of the Sony .

TastySanchez

Standard Member
Hi ihaboo. .

Just browsing the Sony thread been a little while .

Unfortunately I do need to correct you .

Their is quite a noticeable difference between watching standard HDR10 And Dolby Vison .

Dolby Vison is way better than HDR10 .

Watching Dolby Vison on Netflix either Stranger Things or New Star Trek Discovery or any of the Marvel content .

It not just the look the texture of the picture is streets ahead of standard HDR 10 .

I watched HDR10 on Amazon Prime and then watched Dolby Vison on Netflix and Dolby Vison wins it hands down !.

Also luminance is far brighter than standard HDR10 so another big plus side to the format .

I'm not alone on this .Their are many youtube videos form various well know websites including AVFORUMS What HI-FI Techradar.com all stating that DV wins it hands Down to standard HDR10 .

Also need to add Dolby Vison can work upto 12 bit so it's future proffed for the next generation of Pannels it will work quite happy on a 10bit Pannel.

Or its capacity is upto 12bit.

I think there was a good article I read by Techradar.com that explained this now that long ago .

I own a LG 49SJ800V and never looked back after getting rid of the Sony .

Ah man this just makes me even more excited to get the Dolby Vision update! I didn't know Star Trek Discovery was in Dolby Vision that's great; I've already watched a few episodes.

marcd5123

Yep Netflix has lots of Dolby Vison content .

LG did the update earlier on this year .

So pretty much all LG SJ and OLED models have had an update recently as well .

But all of those models will do Dolby Vison and HDR10 as standard

Dolby Atmos, HLG and I believe with the latest update a few weeks back my model will decode Dolby true HD .

Crazy thing is Amazon Prime Video in US has Dolby Vison .Amazon has yet to update the app for European site that's still to be done hopefully next year .

Yes pretty much all new Netflix content has been encoded using Dolby Vison. ..

Pretty much all Marvel

Stranger Things season 1 got re-encoded to Dolby Vison when they launched season 2 .

Star Trek Discovery all in Dolby Vison..

And all look stunning on my 49SJ800V I'm realy happy with it .

No dought look awesome on OLED'S as well .

Also some pictures below of my
LG 49SJ800V showing Dolby Vison and Dolby Atmos

Last edited:

marcd5123

Attachments

• 20171113_232642.jpg
    20171113_232642.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 194
  • 20171113_232952.jpg
    20171113_232952.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 169
  • 20171113_223552.jpg
    20171113_223552.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 167

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

REL Acoustics announces new Serie HT subwoofer trio
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Marantz set to launch new Cinema Series of AV receivers
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
iFi Audio launches NEO Stream music streamer with DAC
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Musical Fidelity launches M6x 250.7 multi-channel power amplifier
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Is Google set to rival Dolby Vision and Atmos?
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom