1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So where do I go from here?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Smurfin, Dec 20, 2002.

1. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,737
    Somehow I've managed to replace my entire AV set-up in the last few months (actually since I joined this forum, in August:eek: ) almost without realising it.

Through some good deals [ok Kramer, insert wheeling and dealing on ebay ;) ] and reading alot my system is now sounding pretty kick-arse to my humble ears (see set-up list below).

The question I'm now asking myself is: "ok what's next"?

How can I make this sound better?

Would adding a decent power amp and using my yammy A1 as the processor make significant improvements? A nice M&K THX speaker set-up?:rolleyes:

Hmm, yes I'm aspiring yet again to spend yet more money!!!!!

In truth, I'm looking more at the amplifier side of things rather than speakers. So what could I get which would add beef to my system, make a noticeable difference, and actually not cost me very much money?:D [and true to my new years resolution, I refuse to buy kit brand new anymore!]

2. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you like your speakers, a decent power sounds like the next most important step... to me...

3. perrdl

perrdl
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know you say you are quite happy with your speakers, but I have heard the M7C2 centre speaker is quite an improvement on your current model.

Any you can pick one up for around £100 I think.

This would be quite a cheap noticeable upgrade for you.

4. Big_AL007

Big_AL007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not sure how the Yammy sounds with stereo but when I acquired a stereo amp the sound improved beyond anything I expected.
    My view is that you must have good stereo/music as part of a decent AV setup. After what you mainly hear from front speakers is soundtrack in stereo. Of course if you use separate stereo amp you may need to upgrade fronts to get the most out of it.
    This is what I did when I acquired a Arcam A75 and a pair of the exquisit Quad 11L's.
    Now I must say my main motivation in getting these was to upgrade my stereo performance and boy did it :D especially as I have an Arcam CD72T to go with it.
    If the yammy can hack it in stereo to this level then just replace the Missions. I would avoid THX speakers as they need the correct kit to drive them properly.
    Just to add that I replaced a very nice pair of Mission 752 freedom's with the quads, yes they are old speakers but still a fantastic sound (am selling them after Xmas ), the quads are far superior in every way.
    My advice, if the amp can hack it, change the speakers.

regards

AL
    :D

PS actually your system sucks so Ebay it now !!!!!!

:clown: :clown: :clown: :devil:

5. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,737
    Lo matey:)

Thing is, I don't need to change the speakers, the 775s are fantastic as fronts.

Stereo performance for music doesn't bother me, as I rarely play music. Because of my job, I spend hour after hour stuck in my car.....my musical needs are more than fulfilled during the days:D

Just need some good suggestions for potential power amp solutions.

6. Big_AL007

Big_AL007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I too thought stereo performance was unimportant in a AV setup, but I was wrong, it was the best change to my home cinema setup I have made. A good power amp combo will give you this, I was not advocating changing your setup to get better music but better stereo.
    Cant say for certain how your combination of front speakers and amp sound but I thought the 775's were very harsh sounding.
    If you have a good dealer down there in the sticks go grab some kit to demo. Dont get me wrong I love Mission speakers but when I started to demo other's I changed my outlook.
    It was pointed out to me by someone who has been selling AV/HiFi for 20 years that DVD sound tracks are far more complicated and offer a wider dynamic range to your sysyem than most music. This means the better definition on your fronts the better, this is mainly achieved by the mid range of speakers. Thats where I think all Missions let you down compared to many other's. You can still enjoy a music cd with a strangled or swamped mid range but you lose so much on a sound track in detail.
    I think without a doubt if you throw more power at your setup it will benfit greatly, ALL speakers improve with power.

7. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,737
    Mine don't at all, I love em:D

I'd love someone to come round my house with years of AV-experience and get their assessment on things...

8. Big_AL007

Big_AL007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I love my Missions too, but the reality is there was much better out there. As soon as I hear something better again I will no doubt get the upgrade bug again. So I will stay away from HiFi shops :D
    Are there no good HiFi shops in Cambridge or is it just the Sevenoaks of the world ?? Who aint that bad but will they lend you some kit ?

9. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Smurf..........

Dont discount pro studio equipment.
    Speakers & amps can be had for rather good prices in this area.
    Some good stuff to be had.

Although, i'm half expecting you to end up with an ex-demo TAG AVR32 like 98% of the population here.

Although, that's not a bad thing:)

Adzman

10. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,737
    LOL I wish!

11. Inukjuak

Inukjuak

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If it were me I would go for separate amplification and processing, then I'd change the speakers, never been a fan of Mission, I would go for some Tannoys, they're much better, then I'd change the sub, maybe to a Yamaha, or even one of the Tannoys subs, then they will all match. You may think of swapping the dvd player, you will get a better transfer of sound with something like Philips or Panasonic. Hope this helps.

12. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,737
    Change the sub you say? LMAO:D

13. Big_AL007

Big_AL007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Would get rid of the breeze if you did :D :D

14. Inukjuak

Inukjuak

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You need a good active sub like one from the Yamaha range or the Tannoy range to get the deep bass that's on so many of the movies these days, so yes get rid of the sub, it'll sound more like a wet fart compared to a Yamaha. You also need something that has more than 15watts power, the Yamaha 800 has 800watts. :D

If you need more help just say.

15. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,737
    Is this a wind-up?

16. Inukjuak

Inukjuak

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not at all mate, it looked like you needed a bit of help. Sorry I'll butt out if you want, it's just that I love home cinema and talking to members on here.

17. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,737
    Unless I upgrade to a HGS-18, the servo 15 will be forever with me.

Yamaha makes subs which can comfortably go well below 20hz?:eek: :eek: Not the ones I've ever seen....

18. Inukjuak

Inukjuak

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry you've lost me, what's this 20Hz stuff, does this make a difference to how the sub sounds

19. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Your front speakers are quite sensitive, 92db, so they don´t need a lot of power, but cleaner...

Look for a quality stereo or three channel power, maybe Arcam or Rotel, if you don´t want to spend much...

20. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,737
    cheers Lowrider.

Does that mean I use the power amps for the front 3 channels and my A1s internal amps to power the rears? How do you do this?

21. Big_AL007

Big_AL007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    pre outs mate, to the power amp, then connect your fronts to that. Leave your rears connected to the yammy, thats how I do it.
    BTW how old is the yammy ??

22. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,737
    4 years I think. Still a class act.

23. Big_AL007

Big_AL007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh yes without a doubt. It has got pre outs ?
    Dont answer if it has cus im sure.
    Have you anything connected to the front effects that I think it has ??

24. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,737
    It does have pre-outs, and no I've never used the front effects. I've heard them before, just seemed to "muddy" the front soundfield.

25. Big_AL007

Big_AL007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thats what I thought they would do, now a side effects would be nice, should tell Dolby to sort it :D

26. porker

porker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Big_AL007 I am looking to buy my first HC set up in the new year and after listening to those Quads thought they sounded fantastic, much better than my old Mission 737R's (although they were being driven by a quad amp - considerably better than my marantz).
    I would like to ask you what the rest of your system consists of?
    Do you have the quad centre too?
    I'm still not sure what to do regarding the amp, I quite fancy the Arcam AVR-200 but I think I may like DPL II so would it be better to get a cheaper integrated with DPL II like say a Denon 2802 and buy a 2 channel amp to go with it?

By the way, not only do the Quads sound good, they are definately the best looking speaker for the money, especially the bird's eye maple......oooh that piano gloss:D

27. Big_AL007

Big_AL007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have separate integrated stereo amp, an Arcam A75.
    I still use my mission M5c centre as it is almost new I dont feel like dumping it yet and am well happy with it. Seems to work fine with the Quads.
    AV amp is the Yammy DSP630se again aint had this long bit I am on the lok out for a really good second user denon or the like.
    Rears are an old set of missions that are about to be upgraded to 78Ds's.
    My DVD is the Harman Kardon DVD25 which does PAL/NTSC prog scan.
    If your into music you should defo have separate stereo amp. Until I have an AV amp that is better with stereo than the Arcam I will keep it that way.
    The other amp I auditioned was the NAD c370 which sounded better than the Arcam but I could not pick one up second hand.
    The power in those things is kick ass, new the cost about £450ish.
    Hope this helps, sorry for hijacking your thread smurfy ;)

28. porker

porker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Thanks for the reply,
    I was wondering if anybody could tell me how much I would need to spend on an AV amp to get the sort of sound quality as the previously mentioned Arcam, or would I be better off doing as Big Al and getting a budget amp and separate stereo model?
    I can't really spend more than say £800.

Apologies also to Smurfin:blush:

Damn this forum, I only originally intended to spend £800 on a complete 5.1 set up - Ive managed to stretch that to about 2 grand!!:D

29. daninthemix

daninthemix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's been suggested that an AV amp will deliver roughly the sound quality of a stereo amp costing a third as much (I guess this is based on simple maths, due to number of components).

This is simply not true though, even the best AV integrateds from Denon/Marantz/Pioneer will deliver about the same quality as a £500 stereo amp and not a lot more due to the sheer number of components crammed into a small space and drawing from the same power supply (particularly the extremely noisy digital stuff). The above estimate has been confirmed by the likes of What Hifi (who cares though) and Hifi Choice when reviewing some of these models.

With multi-channel power amps the maths does work (to a degree) - particularly with the better 'multi-mono' designs where you basically have five identical amps with their own transformers in one chassis.

30. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    With powers I don´t think the multi-channel have any problems, besides size sometimes...

I had Rotel 991 2x200, and 993 3x200, I prefered the sound of the three channel, maybe because it had a larger transformer, even though it was supposed to be lower spec, less transistors...

I agree almost any separate power will do a better job than any integrated AV, a friend has the top Denon AV, and uses Rotel powers for all channels, and Rotel is kind of entry level... no comparison with Bryston and probably Arcam, never heard...