So where are you going on holiday this summer?

Delvey

Distinguished Member
I'd be flying from Belfast, so technically a UK departure. I find I've become a holiday snob too and won't go below 3 star, lol.

Needs must mind you!
3 star on what? The hotel rating or TripAdvisor?
A 5 star Turkish hotel is going to be 3 star Spanish (if you are lucky)
Anyhow:
upload_2019-7-9_16-5-39.png

SyStemDeMoN

Try being married to a teacher, we can’t even take the kids out of school :rotfl:
I feel that one. Now my kids are all grown up I can't even take the wife out of school !

Monday 22nd July we fly to Mexico for 3 weeks.

CAN NOT WAIT !

Delvey

Distinguished Member
How about 7 nights at the 4 star CHC Athina Palace Resort & Spa?
For only £1400 for 2 adults and 2 children, with flights from Manchester, this includes 20kg Luggage each (transfers not included)
upload_2019-7-9_16-13-20.png

upload_2019-7-9_16-13-38.png

Plenty of flights between Belfast and Manchester. I imagine transfer are not too expensive.

imightbewrong

Distinguished Member

SDMDAM

Just back from Kuala Lumpur and Borneo to celebrate 25 years married to Mrs SDM and had a fantastic time. Loved KL, lots to see and do, good food, friendly people and good value for money. The traffic was a pain at times when we did the city bus tour, but we walked a lot and used the subway.

Borneo was amazing, we stayed at two different resorts near Kota Kinabalu, Rasa Ria and Gaya Island and both were very good. We also had a day trip to the orangutan sanctuary near Sepilok.

The only downside was the travel, the journey back was 28 hours door to door, but well worth it.

WeegyAVLover

Distinguished Member
Mrs Weegy and I have booked a week away at the end of August to here:

Royal Garden Villas & Spa Tenerife ***** | OFFICIAL SITE | Luxury Villas Costa Adeje Tenerife

Hotel style and we are staying half-board and each aaccommodation is a villa with its own private pool, terrace and kitchen (like I am going to use that)...

My wife and I love a fly and flop summer holiday to just get away from everything and everyone and having a private pool in a secluded area is something we both enjoy. had 3 holidays in different locations with private pools in hotels which means you get all the advantages of a villa e.g. outside your room, not round a noisy pool. While combined with all the advantages of a hotel e.g. great selection of breakfast and dinner options and high qulaity food, options to mingle with people if we want to.

Roll on end of August.

imightbewrong

Distinguished Member
Mrs Weegy and I have booked a week away at the end of August to here:

Royal Garden Villas & Spa Tenerife ***** | OFFICIAL SITE | Luxury Villas Costa Adeje Tenerife

Hotel style and we are staying half-board and each aaccommodation is a villa with its own private pool, terrace and kitchen (like I am going to use that)...

My wife and I love a fly and flop summer holiday to just get away from everything and everyone and having a private pool in a secluded area is something we both enjoy. had 3 holidays in different locations with private pools in hotels which means you get all the advantages of a villa e.g. outside your room, not round a noisy pool. While combined with all the advantages of a hotel e.g. great selection of breakfast and dinner options and high qulaity food, options to mingle with people if we want to.

Roll on end of August.
10% off through quidco apparently. No doubt better deals can be negotiated.

imightbewrong

Distinguished Member
I'm on a 3 1/2 week break now - just going to chill out for a bit. Then at the end of that I'm off work for a couple of weeks to fly out and join up with the wife and kids.

KyleS1

Distinguished Member
I'm on a 3 1/2 week break now - just going to chill out for a bit. Then at the end of that I'm off work for a couple of weeks to fly out and join up with the wife and kids.
Why aren’t you joining them sooner if you’re on a work break?

imightbewrong

Distinguished Member

KyleS1

Distinguished Member
So at work with no work to do? If so, noice. :)

imightbewrong

Distinguished Member

booyaka

Back from 1st time in Turkey - great 2 weeks with the family.

Tui Magic Life Masimavi Hotel - lovely, spotlessly clean, great food, plenty of entertainment.

Almost certainly going to go back next year.

reiteration

Distinguished Member

Tui Magic Life Masimavi Hotel - lovely, spotlessly clean, great food, plenty of entertainment.

will check it out - as we've never fancied turkey in the past, but then if it's all inclusive then you may as well be anywhere... :)

davidjohnson

Distinguished Member
We had never considered Turkey, but enjoyed a day trip to Marmaris last year and will have a closer look given the currency situation.

reiteration

Distinguished Member
as it stands - we haven't got anywhere booked for our sept or October holidays, and we're going to book something for the sept holiday at the last minute as a bit of a risk... then hopefully do the same for the October holiday... TUI have some decent deals.. :)

booyaka

We had never considered Turkey, but enjoyed a day trip to Marmaris last year and will have a closer look given the currency situation.
will check it out - as we've never fancied turkey in the past, but then if it's all inclusive then you may as well be anywhere... :)
Similar to you both - wife was not overly keen to go initially, however the sheer amount of people we know that go year on year to Turkey and love it - thought we should give it a try.

We went with another family and both wives were initially worried about Turkey being close to Syria etc (resort was about 700 miles from the border :laugh::laugh:) - but couldn't have been more enjoyable. Great weather, lovely hotel, spotlessly clean, never felt you were on top of each other (like some pool areas where to beds are 5/6 deep)

My 2 kids and their daughter could happily go off together in the hotel complex for 10/15/20 minutes at a time, then come back etc - very safe, no issues.

Lots of Russians and Germans in our hotel, but again no issues.

Great food, good entertainment, family room was a little small but for the amount of time you spend in it, it was fine.

Good day trip out with my lad to do some white water rafting, jet boats and atv stuff.....all good.

Other family we went with have already booked to go back to the same hotel again next year....We will probably do the same.

DrPhil

Distinguished Member
My wife and I had our first ever holiday together in Turkey, probably about 17 years ago they had an epic heatwave, tipping 50 degrees. Everything was dirt cheap too, probably changed since then.

booyaka

My wife and I had our first ever holiday together in Turkey, probably about 17 years ago they had an epic heatwave, tipping 50 degrees. Everything was dirt cheap too, probably changed since then.
nope - still fairly cheap and was 42 degrees one of the weekends and sat in the mid 30's the rest of the 2 weeks.

Cracking cheap fake gear - really really good fakes. My son loaded up on Yeezy's/Supreme t shirts/hoddies. I got some superb quality diesel jeans as well.

There's cheap cheap, then there is the really really good fakes/knockoff's - some of the stuff is unreal in terms of how good it is compare to the real thing.

reiteration

Distinguished Member
talking of holidays, been watching this video and makes you think about locals knowledge of where to visit (maybe a thread of it's own required?)-

but are there any websites that goto lesser known destinations? - I've been a few in the past, but this is from chatting to friends etc, but are there any websites around?

Taximania

We tried Icemelor for the first time and found the people to be hospitable and the scenery top notch. A smaller resort than built up Marmaris but with enough going on to stimulate the senses. Everything was excellent value and the Effes ale went down a treat. My only bug bear was the traveling and from door to door around 8 hours. Flight times were poor with Jet2 arriving in Turkey at daft o'clock in the morning. If we do return then we will definitely be getting private transports into the resort centre.

Naaktgeboren

Distinguished Member
We've just returned from the Pegasos Royal in Alanya (Turkey) Thanks for the recommendation @Delvey, this is the best all inclusive we've ever stayed at. A stones throw from the beach, exceptional food, bloody hot! Hottest recorded was 45c, every day peaked at 40c. Never been to Turkey before but the Turks are lovely, friendly people who couldn't do enough to make you happy.

I'm going to miss this view, chilling on the balcony of an evening with a beer in hand whilst the family were getting ready for the evening listening to the waves.

Will 100% be going back.

Last edited: