So where are you going on holiday this summer?

Naaktgeboren

Distinguished Member
Got 14 nights booked in Alanya all inclusive at the end of next month, will do a few days diving with my eldest and some watersports although most of the time will be spent chilling.

D

Deleted member 275754

booked Taiwan for September. Looking forward to see Shifen waterfall!
If you're going with Eva, you might get one of their Hello Kitty themed aircraft !

Last edited by a moderator:

Naaktgeboren

Distinguished Member
cheers...yep, tho saw more stray dogs than cats tho...and stray cats seem to be able to look after themselves better...
Apparently there are not as many stray dogs as it seems... Owners have a different attitude to dog ownership and find it normal to let them roam the streets without much care, they always find there way back for food.

NorvernRob

Distinguished Member
We’re going to a Eurocamp next to Lake Annecy in the Southern French Alps again (we went there last year). Fantastic cycling for all of us, especially for me to bugger off on my own into the mountains early every morning! Warm clear lake, beautiful scenery and good pools/slides etc for the kids. Geneva is only around 40 minutes away by car too so we’ll have a drive over.

3D3ABD31-0EB3-4D22-9180-42FFD63081EF.jpeg

This cycle path runs for 20+ miles!

6C02212D-0A40-4516-814E-0122FBEDB1E4.jpeg
947F31DB-C399-4580-92DF-E52B1E665D9E.jpeg
8F219AE2-F119-48F1-B1D5-4B8F90ED3E3A.jpeg

KyleS1

Distinguished Member
How long does it take once you hit France in the car?

imightbewrong

Distinguished Member
Very nice - we stopped for a swim in Lake Anncey on our way from Interlaken in Switzerland to the Med a few summers back .

mjn

Distinguished Member
Tis a nice region of France and did Eurocamp for 10 years!

NorvernRob

Distinguished Member
How long does it take once you hit France in the car?
Sorry for the late reply, I missed this post! Around 9hrs from Calais with a couple of stops. It’s around 500 miles, but very easy toll roads almost all the way. We get the ferry around 1am, meaning a very quiet drive to Dover, it’s also very cheap! Then once you leave Calais at 3.30am (ish) the 9 hours takes you nicely to lunchtime and checking in time. 16hrs total journey including ferry. It sounds daunting to a lot of people but it’s really not bad at all, especially if you have two to share the driving. And we take 4 bikes plus loads of stuff, couldn’t do that on a plane!

On the way home we book the ferry for around 8pm and set off from the camp at 9am. We get home around 12.30am, through last year we arrived at Calais and they just stuck us on the earlier ferry, so we were home by 11.30pm.

It’s around €70 toll fees each way, in total the toll fees and fuel (from Sheffield) cost us £400. Our 11 night stay this year has only cost £630 though, so with the fuel, tolls and ferry it’ll only come in around £1100 for the four of us. Ridiculously cheap and a lovely holiday, the kids absolutely loved it last year.

Last edited:

KyleS1

Distinguished Member
Sorry for the late reply, I missed this post! Around 9hrs from Calais with a couple of stops. It’s around 500 miles, but very easy toll roads almost all the way. We get the ferry around 1am, meaning a very quiet drive to Dover, it’s also very cheap! Then once you leave Calais at 3.30am (ish) the 9 hours takes you nicely to lunchtime and checking in time. 16hrs total journey including ferry. It sounds daunting to a lot of people but it’s really not bad at all, especially if you have two to share the driving. And we take 4 bikes plus loads of stuff, couldn’t do that on a plane!

On the way home we book the ferry for around 8pm and set off from the camp at 9am. We get home around 12.30am, through last year we arrived at Calais and they just stuck us on the earlier ferry, so we were home by 11.30pm.

It’s around €70 toll fees each way, in total the toll fees and fuel (from Sheffield) cost us £400. Our 11 night stay this year has only cost £630 though, so with the fuel, tolls and ferry it’ll only come in around £1100 for the four of us. Ridiculously cheap and a lovely holiday, the kids absolutely loved it last year.
Thanks for that.
How old are your kids? Mine are 7 and 4, so not sure if I am pushing a 9 hour drive after little sleep on the ferry over! :D

walters123

We are going to turkey on Saturday however I'm really not feeling this holiday and have also just tried to change our hotel

NorvernRob

Distinguished Member
Thanks for that.
How old are your kids? Mine are 7 and 4, so not sure if I am pushing a 9 hour drive after little sleep on the ferry over! :D
2 and 6 (almost 3 and 7) last year. The little one fell asleep on the way to Dover, but my lad stayed awake. Once we got off the ferry everyone fell asleep, and I drove for around 3-3.5hrs, then stopped for breakfast and everyone was awake from then on. That initial spell from Dover, at 3am, in pitch black, with everyone else asleep was the only tough part as I was fairly tired. Once the sun was up and we’d stopped for breakfast it was all good from then on.

The kids were amazing tbh, they were comfortable enough in their seats with iPads and snacks, and they’ll sleep when they’re tired enough! Me and the wife were more tired than them, we chilled out for the rest of the first day while they played!

KyleS1

Distinguished Member
2 and 6 (almost 3 and 7) last year. The little one fell asleep on the way to Dover, but my lad stayed awake. Once we got off the ferry everyone fell asleep, and I drove for around 3-3.5hrs, then stopped for breakfast and everyone was awake from then on. That initial spell from Dover, at 3am, in pitch black, with everyone else asleep was the only tough part as I was fairly tired. Once the sun was up and we’d stopped for breakfast it was all good from then on.

The kids were amazing tbh, they were comfortable enough in their seats with iPads and snacks, and they’ll sleep when they’re tired enough! Me and the wife were more tired than them, we chilled out for the rest of the first day while they played!
Sounds great. What type of accommodation did you stay in? Static caravan?
I had a quick check and their are a few sites there. Any one you’d recommend?

NorvernRob

Distinguished Member
Sounds great. What type of accommodation did you stay in? Static caravan?
I had a quick check and their are a few sites there. Any one you’d recommend?
Tent! Though they do have static caravans/mobile homes too. The tents have proper beds, a cooking area, fridge, plug sockets etc so not quite roughing it. We stayed at La Ravoire, which is where we’re going back to next month. It’s ideal for the kids as the pools are great for all ages, and the Annecy cycle path runs right next to the site.

La Ravoire Campsite | Camping at La Ravoire in The Alps | Eurocamp.co.uk

KyleS1

Distinguished Member
Tent! Though they do have static caravans/mobile homes too. The tents have proper beds, a cooking area, fridge, plug sockets etc so not quite roughing it. We stayed at La Ravoire, which is where we’re going back to next month. It’s ideal for the kids as the pools are great for all ages, and the Annecy cycle path runs right next to the site.

La Ravoire Campsite | Camping at La Ravoire in The Alps | Eurocamp.co.uk
Awesome, thanks. Sounds great. Will look into for next year. My wife also gets NHS discount on Eurocamp holidays.

NorvernRob

Distinguished Member
Doesn't look like I'll be getting away for our 10 year anniversary now, prices are scandalous for the end of July.
Try being married to a teacher, we can’t even take the kids out of school :rotfl:

reiteration

Distinguished Member
How late do you need to get? I've been checking TUI this past few days for a departure on July 23rd or thereabouts and still very pricey.
depends on how flexible you are really - as my lady was looking over the weekend for holidays within a week and saw some good deals... as we're looking to go away the second week in sept and like yourself are shocked at the prices.. :(

so, we're planning on booking something closer to the time as we did this last year, and noticed some hotels all of a sudden appearing in searches that we'd previously looked at and saw some decent deals.. :)

DrPhil

Distinguished Member
Our anniversary is the 25th so I booked the full week off, sods law I now have a job interview on the 23rd so that restricts us.

I'd like even a city break from late Tuesday/early Wednesday, back on the Saturday evening.

I'll keep looking

Delvey

Distinguished Member
How late do you need to get? I've been checking TUI this past few days for a departure on July 23rd or thereabouts and still very pricey.
If you are based in Ireland then I imagine you are airport limited. Plenty from London, for example,
upload_2019-7-9_12-20-13.png

Naaktgeboren

Distinguished Member
Our anniversary is the 25th so I booked the full week off, sods law I now have a job interview on the 23rd so that restricts us.

I'd like even a city break from late Tuesday/early Wednesday, back on the Saturday evening.

I'll keep looking
A colleague of mine finds it cheaper to fly to the UK from Ireland, stay the night at a hotel local to whichever airport he fly's from. He reckons he can save hundreds over the cost of a holiday from Ireland.