So, when will we have the XBox 360?

ipod crazy said:
Almost definitly. IMO Hi-def is going to be the biggest thing in 2006 with prices falling for hi-def tv's and the launch of sky hi-def, it is about time because i heard of the gadget show that its been the norm in Japan and US for 10 years!

Hardly anybody in this country has a Hi Def TV though and it will be some time (a good 3-5 years IMO) before they start becoming mainstream. I have a PJ that does 480p (and higher with scaling) but even though i'm into my AV & Video games i'm not even set up for true hi def yet.

The majority of people who buy the 360 in the UK will just be sticking it into a standard TV and the Sky service will be very Niche for the first few years of launch. I hope they include it for us this time but if not then i'm sure it wil lbe unlockable via a mod again.

No don't say that gthom, MS will take our (Europe's) HiDef away (again)! ;) I've invested for the future with my AV kit, and the next gen of consoles is a definite driver for my decision to do that. There is a massive overlap between (god I hate this phrase) "hard-core" gamers and those with high-end kit, so you are providing for a market. Granted nothing like as established as US/Jap, but growing.

Again this all links into MS's long-term strategy and gamers could well drive the push for HiDef, along with Sky. BBC News gaming/HiDef article

I hope so Loz as I intend to upgrade my PJ to a true high def one (probably native 720p) towards the end of the year or early next year. I guess if it's included in the US unit anyway then they may as well just leave it as a selectable in the Dash for UK versions so that people with bog standard TV's can have normal 480i/525i where as those of us with hi def displays can have 720p or 1080i.

I just hope that they don't shaft the UK again - one of the big things about X-Box was it's prog scan output in games (with some hi def) but for some reason they left this out of the UK version even though prog scan displays & TV's were becoming more popular.

another one here who went for the HD pj for HD material in the coming year and onwards. i really hope they give us HD this time & im fairly confident they will seeing as all games are 720p & :dd: 5.1 minimum. if worst comes to worse i'll get a us console :D i also hope the release date is either the same day as the yanks or very near.

As far as HD is concerned i think that the new upcoming consoles will be very important.

Other than Upscaling DVD players and HD broadcasting what other formats exist that use HD?

Only consoles. (and upcoming HD Disk formats)

Thats why I feel that the next batch of consoles will be "ambassadors" of HD in a way.

It will be one of the main reasons why many people will want to get new HD TV's.

I suppose by HD I didn't specifically mean HDTVs, more just high-definition pictures of various kinds. I'm a bit of an amateur in this field - please excuse my ignorance if this is more of a specific term than I take it to mean.

I find it completely insane to not make these 'HD' options available to UK/Euro users - yes, there could be some confusion and support overhead with users that 'tinker' with the settings and end up with no picture, but, surely they could have put warnings on the interface and still give the option. It's ridiculous to think Euro companies trust their customers enough to make PAL/NTSE/Progressive/Interlaced capable TV/Plasmas/Projectors/etc but MS remove awesome functionality because they don't trust their Euro customers enough to not screw up the relavent settings on their XBoxs.

At least we can soft-mod...

Microsoft have already said that all XBox 360 games will be in HD (720p/1080i). Its a core requirement given out to the developers by the company.

They havent confirmed a Winter release date for Xbox 360 in europe. This is there objective but by no means certain.

Xbox has sold Over 20 million units worldwide. I would hardly call this "Just taking off" One thing is for sure it will be available worldwide well before PS3.

If it looks like it will get a pre Christmas release over here I will probably wait. If not I will go the us route. It will work out much cheaper and there is a decent chance Live will work, it did with US xbox over here. Remember it will be using current live accounts and all it needs is a standard internet connection. They would actually have to do something to the units to stop them working. This makes no sense as it just increases the costs.

Personally I dont need to upgrade for HD. My PJ is already compatible up to 720p/1080i.

AML said:
With the current XBox only just taking off, I dont think MS are too eager to replace it so soon.

Not saying i agree totally with this, before you all bombard me with sarcasm, but i think what would be a more accurate thing to say is that Xbox Live is only really sarting to take off in the UK. Xbox has been a successful brand for some time but as broadband has only really started becoming heavily marketed in the last twelve months in this country then the option for thousands of kids to harrass their parents for Xbox Live subscriptions hasn't been there until more recently.

I would be interested to see what the actual statisics are for the UK sign ups to xbox live since Christmas 2004 compared with the previous twelve months if anybody knows

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom