1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So, when will we have the XBox 360?

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by elementalist2, Apr 25, 2005.

1. elementalist2

elementalist2
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Anyone have any idea better than "Late 2005"? That's the best I can find. I hate the waiting and I'm in a tizzy about spending the dosh on an Action Replay to soft-mod my XBox when it may be only a few months until the 360 is out... :suicide:

2. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    I'm not going to import on this one, I expect for Europe first 1/4 2006. Although xbox wouldn't miss a trick if they could supply and launch a global release date. It would create so much attention, especially before christmas.

3. jenic

jenic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +179
    I reckon that around oct/nov. Just in time for christmas which almost guarantees a sell out

4. elementalist2

elementalist2
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hmm. A little bit more reading is leading me to think the end of 2005 is an "at the earliest" kinda thing. Think I'll get a dongle and mod mine in the meanwhile :)

5. captaineyecatch

captaineyecatch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Most rumours seem to say november for europe - MS are shipping 1 million xbox 360's for Europe by the end of the year. Thats why xbox's are in short supply as its rumoured MS have stopped/cut down the manufacture of them so they can get the xbox360's shipped out.

Again though its all internet rumours - we wont know for real till may the 12th.

6. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    With the current XBox only just taking off, I dont think MS are too eager to replace it so soon.
    Announcing the next system isnt the same as releasing the next system!

Sony on the other hand are more than ready to release their PS3. People are asking for it since the PS2 has reached technical limits.

7. Munkey Boy

Munkey Boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,376
    :eek: :confused: :nono: Thanks, I needed a good laugh this morning! ;) Seriously though, I know comments have been made about MS shortening the console lifespan from 5 to 4 years, but to say the 'box is just "taking off" now is a bit much. It's been strong console now for a good 2 years IMHO.

I for one am waiting for the next gen with baited breath, it's time is coming... MS have stated their intention on many occasions to get their machine out at the latest at the same time as PS3.

8. Pooon

Pooon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +731
    Cheers for posting that. I couldn't think of anything that wouldn't get removed once i'd posted it.

And whats with the new Avatar?

9. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,121
    I agree - I think that M$ will be keen to get the new 360 out asap. The original machine was a learning process for them and technically it wasn't far removed from a PC. The X-Box brand is now pretty strong and they will be hoping to steal a march on Sony by getting their machine out first. Sega tried it with the DC but their brand wasn't strong enough after the Saturn. I think M$ stand a better chance this time around and they also have the financial backing for success. We'll see the X-Box in europe late October/early November IMO! :thumbsup:

10. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,005
    I for one, am hoping for a worldwide launch in time for xmas. MS really need this out for xmas, given that PS3 & N-Revolution will be out by next xmas! The really need to take advantage of this head-start.

11. Munkey Boy

Munkey Boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,376
    I don't think anyone's ever pulled off a worldwide hardware launch, have they? The manufacturing plants just wouldn't be able to cope, unless they have a dedicated factory in each territory I guess...? I'm crossing fingers for Christmas...

Do you not get the news down in Kent? I heard there's a general election next week...

12. Pooon

Pooon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +731
    A worldwide launch would be a first. Not to sure how they'd pull it off unless they have already started making them enmass already(hope so)

What's this about an election? news travel slows down these parts. I guess i should of twigged really, my bulls**t detector has been working overtime recently.

13. Malone

Malone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    I love all this, "Yeah its gonna come out by november", I think we are hoping, if we keep saying it enough, that we can will Microsoft to bring it out then for definite. I am sure though it is going to come out for November ;)

Matt

14. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    When I say just taking off, I mean that only now are MS seeing any profit from the XBox.
    I know it has been doing well for the last couple of years.

Im sure you know that for the first 2 years or so it wasnt really making any proffit. And at the end of they day that IS why MS is in the business.

If they launch a new system too soon, they will be loosing even more money which in the long run doens make much financial sense.

I have to admit though that MS have really thought this out, and that the XBox wasnt meant to make a profit for MS. It was meant to get an instaled base to work from with the next machine.
    The new XBox will be the reall thing.

15. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    The Xbox really started taking off when Live was being pushed out. Halo 2 and Project Gotham 2 were big plus points, and enhanced the gameplay by a massive amount.

Sony have lagged behind in the online gaming arena, and it will take them some time to catch up. With X-Box live now established, it will be easier for MS to market Xbox 360 as an online gaming platform as they already have a large existing user base.

I've got the xbox, PS2 and GC at the moment, and the Xbox is currently ahead in my opinion, it just provides a more immersive gaming experience, just completed Fable (bit easy but very enjoyable game), Halo 2 is awesome, especially on Live, and PGR2 comes into its own online.

PS2 needs to be replaced soon, as it has been showing its limitations for some time now, the PSP rocks though :D loving mine to bits at the moment.

Poor Nintendo are a bit lost right now, they really need to pull something out of the bag for their next hardware release, otherwise I can see them going the same way as Sega :(.

16. Munkey Boy

Munkey Boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,376
    Ahhh, I see now! MS have been making profit on the 'box for 18 months - 2 years now, though they put so much resources in and had a low user base for so long, they'll be lucky to break even over the lifespan of the machine.

It's MS's philosophy to always to push on to the next big thing, often before it's been perfected. They have a long-term strategy that means they knew Xbox was only ever going to be stage 1, not necessarily a profit maker itself. The real profits only start when they have an Xbox under every 2nd TV in the country, like Windows is on 9/10 PCs. And won't be under every 2nd TV unless it can do more than just play games in the conventional sense that we're used to at the moment.

17. jenic

jenic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +179
    I think that the console will only be realeased in the US and UK before christmas. Since Japan isn't a very big market for them. A wireless network connection and a built in media centre would be a good idea for the xbox.

18. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,121
    I'm just waiting for DVD Soon to stick 360's on their site for pre order at £25 with free P&P :D :rotfl: .

19. Pooon

Pooon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +731
    So your be looking to receive it by 2025 then :D

20. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    What? For dispatch in late 2007 I presume?

21. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,121
    Yes but guys it's a bargain! :D OK so Xbox 1080 will be hitting the shelves by the time it's released but you can't grumble! :rotfl:

22. elementalist2

elementalist2
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Ok, so we're crossing fingers for Xmas, but no big hopes.

How about this question, then? :

Is the UK/Euro 360 going to have support for HD displays?

23. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,121
    Nobody knows yet, I would guess so but that's just a guess and there's not much point speculating about these things really.

24. Quickbeam

Quickbeam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes - all games will be developed in 1280 x 720p minimum, and all 360s will be high-def ready. It's rumoured that the 360 will run at 60Hz only - so no more '50Hz optimised' bull.:thumbsup:

25. jenic

jenic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +179
    Almost definitly. IMO Hi-def is going to be the biggest thing in 2006 with prices falling for hi-def tv's and the launch of sky hi-def, it is about time because i heard of the gadget show that its been the norm in Japan and US for 10 years!

26. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,121
    Hardly anybody in this country has a Hi Def TV though and it will be some time (a good 3-5 years IMO) before they start becoming mainstream. I have a PJ that does 480p (and higher with scaling) but even though i'm into my AV & Video games i'm not even set up for true hi def yet.

The majority of people who buy the 360 in the UK will just be sticking it into a standard TV and the Sky service will be very Niche for the first few years of launch. I hope they include it for us this time but if not then i'm sure it wil lbe unlockable via a mod again.

27. Munkey Boy

Munkey Boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,376
    No don't say that gthom, MS will take our (Europe's) HiDef away (again)! ;) I've invested for the future with my AV kit, and the next gen of consoles is a definite driver for my decision to do that. There is a massive overlap between (god I hate this phrase) "hard-core" gamers and those with high-end kit, so you are providing for a market. Granted nothing like as established as US/Jap, but growing.

Again this all links into MS's long-term strategy and gamers could well drive the push for HiDef, along with Sky. BBC News gaming/HiDef article

28. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,121
    I hope so Loz as I intend to upgrade my PJ to a true high def one (probably native 720p) towards the end of the year or early next year. I guess if it's included in the US unit anyway then they may as well just leave it as a selectable in the Dash for UK versions so that people with bog standard TV's can have normal 480i/525i where as those of us with hi def displays can have 720p or 1080i.

I just hope that they don't shaft the UK again - one of the big things about X-Box was it's prog scan output in games (with some hi def) but for some reason they left this out of the UK version even though prog scan displays & TV's were becoming more popular.

29. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
    Ratings:
    +76
    another one here who went for the HD pj for HD material in the coming year and onwards. i really hope they give us HD this time & im fairly confident they will seeing as all games are 720p & :dd: 5.1 minimum. if worst comes to worse i'll get a us console :D i also hope the release date is either the same day as the yanks or very near.

30. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    As far as HD is concerned i think that the new upcoming consoles will be very important.

Other than Upscaling DVD players and HD broadcasting what other formats exist that use HD?

Only consoles. (and upcoming HD Disk formats)

Thats why I feel that the next batch of consoles will be "ambassadors" of HD in a way.

It will be one of the main reasons why many people will want to get new HD TV's.