So What's the state of your PSVR after 3 years? RIP to my one!

TheyCallMeTJ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys

So RIP to my dear old PSVR, at exactly 3 years old, it has ceased to be, it is no more, it is a dead headset. It just fails to switch on. One moment it was as alive as it was at birth, next moment, it is as dead as John Cleese's Parrot.

But that's OK because it was my live fast, die young rock star. It was used for 2D gaming, 3D/2D blu ray watching, it was my also my fitness machine, and oh it was my VR gaming headset too! Used at least 5 days a week. It had more than a full life.

But I don't intend to move on and make my recently purchased Quest 2 my next VR lifestyle because it simply doesn't hold a candle to what my PSVR delivered in the areas that matters most to me.

So with £60 of CEX trade vouchers in hand, I am off to CEX to pick up a replacement PSVR for £115 (£55, cash, £60 vouchers) which is thankfully in stock at two branches. CEX even gives two year warranty on all electronics (as for how honourable they are with that is another question! But that's just a bonus to me)

However, I have two choices. My nearest branch has V1. But in a branch further away from me, a V2 beckons. Now if this was a normal year, the no-brainer choice would be make the longer journey and buy the V2. But it isn't a normal year and I am ultra cautious in protecting my vulnerable members of the family by keeping my journeys to an absolute minimum.

So my question (about time!) is this: Those of you who have had your headset from that first year of release or had it over 3 years, has the display or any aspect of it deteriorated during that time? If it hasn't I rather make the short journey to my local branch. But if any of you notice any display deterioration, I'll make the longer journey.

@Fat Tony @Stinja @raduv1 @furryhobnob @CEEJAYBEE82 @Matson @captainH @CAS FAN @Jon Weaver @zt1903
is your headset still rocking?

Thanks guys

Last edited:
Mine is launch model, still works fine. I don't use it as much as you though, by the sounds of it, only couple of times a month.

Hey Jinster, I don't need HDR passthrough, but it's good to have when I eventually get a new TV which I really dont want as I treasure my 60" 3DTV, lol.

But the reason I would go for the V2 is simply because I know that a second hand V2 will not be as old as a V1. I know the boxes can't be mixed...but why do you said that? I am not buying parts...is there something I am overlooking ?

I have decided to get the V2, I'll make that longer journey into the apocalyptic world...just need to load up the shotgun and practice a few rounds on Fred...:D

But the reason I would go for the V2 is simply because I know that a second hand V2 will not be as old as a V1. I know the boxes can't be mixed...but why do you said that? I am not buying parts...is there something I am overlooking ?

Nothing overlooked, just checking you knew you couldn't do that. In case you were planning to use the V1 headset with your existing box, which you aren't, so all good.

Mine is launch model, still works fine. I don't use it as much as you though, by the sounds of it, only couple of times a month.

Pretty much the same as me. The “leather” is moulting but apart from that still works well.

The “leather” is moulting but apart from that still works well.
Bloody hell! I checked this thread cause of TJ's problem and saw your post, I subsequently checked my headset and I noticed the same!

vr.jpg

Oh that's a bummer, I always took care of it when using it so this makes me sad. Also have a little scratch on my right lens despite all the care in the world when storing and cleaning them, so I assume this is one of those things that happen with these accessories after four years of intense use.

Bloody hell! I checked this thread cause of TJ's problem and saw your post, I subsequently checked my headset and I noticed the same!

View attachment 1421380

Oh that's a bummer, I always took care of it when using it so this makes me sad. Also have a little scratch on my right lens despite all the care in the world when storing and cleaning them, so I assume this is one of those things that happen with these accessories after four years of intense use.

Mine is a lot worse than that.
8C760648-7E88-43F3-B395-EA0D5106474C.jpeg

Mine is still working OK but I maybe do not use it as much as yourself as its such a flaff each time cable wise for me, would use it more if not for that .

It is now boxed up as is my ps4 pro as looking to move both on as do not game as much .

For sale all :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Just thought I give an update, I have since bought the PSVR headset, second hand through CEX for £125 (V2). In fact I ended up buying two headsets because I initially ordered the V1 online and thought it didnt go through because I didnt receive any order confirmation and they seem to have lost the order, so I went to the street branch and bought the V2. Days later I received the original order too. I plan to make it a gift to a friend who has a PS4 to hopefully make him a regular sports fitness partner as we used to be in the real world before lockdown!

The condition of both headsets (one is v1 and the other v2) were excellent and lenses have no scratches.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom