So whats the point of buying an iPod?...

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by JWALKR, Apr 25, 2007.

Tags:
  1. JWALKR

JWALKR
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    To much of a disappointment a lot of people only own their mp3 player for an average of 6 months...
    I joined this forum before purchasing a Sony NW-HD5... And all my mates told me that Video iPod will be coming soon and I will chuck the sony away fairly soon.
    I havent chucked it anywhere, it is with me all the time, and I love my Sony hd5...

Also with people who buy iPods, they dont stick to the same model for months... I mean I know thats Apple's trick to intoduce gadgets like these into market after a lot of sales happen. So, I was saying that I have seen a trend among my friends. They seem to have pretty much every iPod model that comes in the market. Today we have that tiny square iPod shuffle..and everyone has that..tomorrow, god knows whatelse...

Have people lost the track and purpose of owning a simple mp3 player that plays your favourite music at a touch of button...?

2. Member 79251

Member 79251
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,187
    Ipods are designed with a one year shelf life.

My 1year old ipod is perfect. The only thing with them is the battery and replacements. I did have a 3rd gen 20 gig pod and the only reason I replaced that was because of the battery. That was also after I replaced the battery.!

I still use it and hook it up to my 360! :smashin:

3. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,150
    Its part of the gadget culture we live in and always the desire to have the next best thing. It's difficult to see the music iPod getting any sexier so maybe we'll start to see that slow down!

4. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,312
    It's insane. I owned a 4g iPod in late 2004 and hated it, everything about it: the stability (or lack off), the distorted, crunchy bass no matter how good the headphones were, and the click wheel. Not for me at all. It also just didn't have that an electronics product feel either.

I think so. I owned a 20gb Sony NW-HD5 for 2 years (from the day it came out through to a few days ago) and replaced that with Sony's new NW-A808 Video Walkman (8gb).

People asked me how 8gb would be enough for me and the simple answer is that even with a lot of it stored losslessly, it can easily hold the stuff I actually want to carry around with me. I know of people with 60gb iPods with huge music collections, but how often do they listen to more than 30% or so of it?

5. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,150
    It's a good point, I probably have a third of my ZVM full with music but I tend just to listen to a few albums over again and again. However, the random function player allows me to listen to songs I had no intention of playing myself (and enjoying too!) so I don't think 8GB would be enough for me.

6. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,312
    Yeah, I can see why 8 would be too small for some people. I think Sony had it right with 20, to be honest.

7. gingerninja72

gingerninja72

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    I am more than happy with my Zen Vision. I've got about 10Gb left to fill up, which will take a while. The beauty of mp3 players is that you end up listening to albums that might have sat on a shelf. I have definitely re-discovered albums/bands I hadn't listened to in years

On my old player (Zen Touch 20Gb), it was permanently full and I had to keep deleting albums off to make room. With a 30Gb player, I don't have to worry about that anymore. Well, not for a couple of years

As for people forgetting about simple players that just play music, I agree up to a point. The ability to watch TV/films on a portable is surely the biggest gimmick ever. I couldn't give a monkeys about the video capability of my Zen and doubt I will ever use it. In fact it p*sses me off that the battery life has got worse compared to the Zen Touch.

8. wicker_man

wicker_man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +116
    I've had my 3rd gen 40GB iPod for 3 years and it has been excellent. I did need to replace the hard drive last year after falling on it while skating (and I changed the battery while I had it open) but it works great with daily use.

I'll be upgrading once the 6th gen iPod comes out (widescreen touchscreen?), hopefully before Apple's Back to School promotions with the £100 iPod rebate when you buy a new Mac.

9. daveb975

daveb975

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +423
    I recently swapped my HD5 for the 80Gb Video iPod. The extra capacity was the only reason that I did it. I liked the size, battery life and sound of the Sony more and I don't use the video function, but found the 20Gb capacity too small. I like being able to take my whole collection with me each day, as I find I often end up listening to stuff I just not would have thought about that morning.

With 20Gb, I was constantly adding/deleting music from the device, now I just add new music to it - currently at 70Gb.

I cannot understand why people upgrade every 6 months just to have the latest device, but they do it with mobile phones and all manner of other gadgets as well. I guess that is the main pleasure of owning a gadget for some people.

For me, I will hold onto this iPod until a 100/120Gb machine comes out!

10. lazymatt

lazymatt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +188
    Exactly.

This is no different to mobile phones etc....how many of us have old ones clogging up our draws that would probably be fine for making calls if we just replaced the battery, yet we're happy to get conned with 'free' replacements every year?

To the OP - I'm glad he's happy with his Sony - it's the better MP3 player IMHO:thumbsup:

11. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,312
    I still have a pay as you go phone from 2004. It needs replaced, badly!

12. Uridium

Uridium

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,855

Exactly the reason i just use a Nokia N91 music phone now. a little bit more than the on board 4gb would be nice though. Although I'm currently trialling an 8Gb N91 for Nokia and it's perfect.:smashin:

Only means carrying one device around as well.

13. lisa burrell

lisa burrell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Quite happy with my zen m.. but some intresting points raised why people have to upgrade every six months or less you don't know? come on yes you do.

Surely you all know and some even guilty of it. you must Have experienced Tea break at work when the phones come out and the ring tone ten min scenario then look at this filth i got sent ha ha i must have that Blue tooth it to me. Send me that ring tone to.. i have to leave the room i hate it. then the mp3 players so loud and there playing drum and bass and techno and all you can hear is those biscuit tin drums going so fast i'm thinking how can someone like that.

People partly buy them to communicate with others in mess rooms and work place canteens and in the pubs its something to talk about Even to show of about. Owning the latest thing. No one hears mine i find a nice bench and a nice book and i have my Miles Davis gently playing lovely.. One added bonus is no one wants to hear it ether. Except me.

[email protected]~~ who says its nice to be different:)

14. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +564
    Am I the only person who thinks of the iPod as a hard drive that stores music?

I rarely use the click wheel.

I rarely even look at it. It's stored discreetly in the car feeding the HU.

And it doesn't distort the music. If you want distorted music, normalise the levels too high then push the EQ too much. It's easy to do on any device.

The only upgrade I did was the free one from Apple with the release of iTunes v7.

The only time I'll replace it is if it breaks.

15. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    20 gig on my HD5 wasnt enough for me so i got the HD5h which holds 30gigs, when i had a cassette walkman the music quality was not reduced from the original cassette or cd so i want to listen to music the highest bit rate best it can be!

16. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hello Lisa,

I dont mind listning to a bit of Miles and a good read too, my sentiments too!
    Just out of interest i am Poole/Bournemouth, well Swanage born to be exact! lived in Poole, Bournemouth sice 1991 - how is life down their, i have had to move to Wales so i could afford to buy a house - nightmare, sure do miss the Quay and the Beach Gardens and my long walks from Sandbanks to Boscombe!
    Phil Simpson

17. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,150
    But for those using it on the move the click wheel is one if its main selling points (along with its software).

I'm quite eager to see what the next generation of iPod's will deliver and am especially keen to see the real video ipod!

18. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +564
    Totally agree. The click wheel is very functional. And iTunes is excellent.

I was just trying to clarify that not all iTunes owners are concerned purely about style and hype. This thing really works - very well indeed - on many levels.

As someone said previously, it's cool to knock the iPod. But, it's an example that sometimes you don't need to search for a niche, one-of-a-kind product. Sometimes, the most popular product actually does the job very well.

19. wicker_man

wicker_man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +116
    Yep, agreed.

I brought an iPod mainly because it is the only decent player compatible with a Mac and integrates simply and syncs with little effort with music in iTunes (which is part of the reason for it's success).

Many people buy other players because they say they don't want to follow a trend, but ironically not buying an iPod seems to be a trend now.

The iPod must be good if it is so successful, if it was bad nobody would buy it.

20. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,150
    For some reason it is cool to knock the iPod, which I've never understood. I think they are great music players. My sister has one hooked up to her car and it works flawlessly. The sheer number of accessories available for them is another reason to go for one!

21. littlelio

littlelio

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Recently I just bought a new iPod video 80GB, black to replace my old 60GB photo. The new one is much much brighter, and has a bigger screen, also slightly slimmer, and more space to store music and videos.

iPod is not perfect, such as the unfriendly interface such as iTune - this program is great, but the fact that you can only put-in-music-but-can-not-get-it-out is very annoying. I am not saying illegal copy of mp3, but I really want to move some unwanted song into my HDD or DVD writer for future use. Well now there are some special software can do this trick, at least I can accept this shortcoming of ipod now.

Interestingly, I really can't understand the Sony user... (no offence...), the sony mp3(actually not mp3) player never had a good software. You have to spend a long long time to 'Convert' a CD even mp3 to the (damn) ATRAC format instead of a directly/simply transfer the mp3 files to the flash memory of the player. Also, sonic stage is the worst software EVER I met in my life - I used to spend half an hour just uninstalling it!!!!

Maybe sony has improved their software level, and a more open platform for music player, but their attitude, which shows their stupid ambitions to take control of the entire market all over the world with their own (stupid) music format and technology, really annoyed me.

Well, I am not blaming anyone because all the companies are struggling to make some money anyway. I love the TV, game console from Sony, too. I even may buy a sony music player in the future, but I do hate crappy software and a new meaningless music format.

The key point is what inside our pocket player, not the player itself, isn't it. :)

22. GBDG1

GBDG1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,260
    Sony players support MP3 natively :S They have done for 2 years.

23. Uridium

Uridium

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,855
    To add to this Atrac3+ is widely regarded as about the best lossy format, conversion to Atrac takes no longer than itunes AAC conversion or WMplayer's WMA conversion.

Just a shame they won't license it so non sony users could see how good Atrac is.

(Oh.....and I don't have a sony player but I'm just not blinkered :rolleyes: )

24. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,312
    No offense taken, but as the above user pointed out, Sony players have not been ATRAC only since 2004. Their latest natively supports MP3, ATRAC, ATRAC Lossless, and AAC and WMA so long as they're not DRM'd.

On the flip-side, I really can't understand the Apple user. Sure, SonicStage can be a real pain, but I'll take that over the iPod's cumbersome scroll-wheel interface and lifeless-sounding audio with distorted bass any day. After all, the amount of time I take wrangling with SonicStage is almost nothing (it usually works properly) compared to the time spent enjoying the sound quality.

25. gerbilly

gerbilly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94

TV's Sony can make lyris (apart from clouding) but the are not in the same stratosphere as apple with digital music players.

I tunes is pis'h easy to use my children can use it easily, while the software with sony players is a fecking monster.

I have 8 2 hour films on my i-pod , 50 videos and about 5000 songs and yet the HD aint even near half full and that is even after being burned at a higher rate. Size wise nothing approaches it.

Looks wise my Black 80gb i-pod looks beautiful and the new sony thing you bought looks like a wee voice recorder.

Sound quality wise most of the players I have heard from cowan, i-river, creative and sony dont sound considerably different, however the last time I heard the HD5 i thought the bass was too heavy and distorted.
    At a party recently someone had the wee creative set up to a pair of speakers and it was ok as I had my i-pod with me I attached that and the quality was better and most people agreed it sounded clearer.

Unless you have fingers like sausages then I cant understand how anyone would struggle with the click wheel it is one of the best innovations in digital music and one of the reasons sales rocketed.

Like all Mac based products the i-pod is very plug and play and easy to use and as the price is so competitive this is why it has destroyed all competition.

The computers are the same in their ease of use but due to the misconceived ideal that macs are too pricey this is why the figues arent as high here.

Whats the point of buying an i-pod, its easy to use, has bigger quantity, great software, looks cool as... and sounds as good as any other digital player in my opinion.

26. gerbilly

gerbilly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94

extremelydodgy has shown figures to show that it is actually apple loseless which is the best format.

27. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,312
    Can't agree there - software perhaps, but IMO Sony's hardware players are miles ahead of Apple's.

I can't deny that it's popular and much imitated, but again I totally disagree, I think the scroll wheel is cumbersome: an analogue input method for a digital selection. I would rather press the Down button 3 times to move Down 3 menu options, rather than have to keep swiveling my thumb around and hoping I stop at the right time. The button method also means I can make selections without looking at the screen.

It sounds like nothing, but made a huge usability difference for me.

28. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,312
    Actually there's a site out there that shows that ATRAC is actually a bit crap as far as codecs go.

But because of the analogue sound output quality, I would rather listen to overcompressed ATRAC than a Sony than lossless audio on an iPod. That's how much I didn't like how it sounded.

29. gerbilly

gerbilly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94

To each their own I suppose, but I have to say I totally disagree I am very fussy with sound quality but my i-pod is the muts nutz and I love it.:D

30. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Things get improved and further developed for example the Ipod is now gapless (took a while though:D ) and people buy a music player to suit their needs, i don't have my music on Mp3 format IMO its crap! I stick a cd in upload in WAV and it takes less than a couple of minutes! if on the rare occasion i do get files of different formats (Downloads etc) i burn to disc and then record the disc to WAV for the Hard drive player, that means i have it backed up on cdr. The Ipod has its place if you want many computer files to fit a great deal of files on their, i like my files to be the best possible quality and i am not willing to comprimise sound quality, probally i feel this way from growing up with Music devices improving sound quality (ie cassette walkman to cd player) not getting worse, all that work to make cd's sound better than vinyl and then we listen to the music at a crappy compressed 128kbps no thank you, Sound quality on Cd's is at an all time low (loud, compressed, digitally clipped) and the reason why? You and Me listning to Mp3 on Ipods or other mp3 players!! Rant Over:hiya: