So what's the missing letter?

So only one Land ends there, so we're not saying "Lands End Here"?

I've no idea what the hell is going on here :)

Ah, because of the apostrophe. Gotcha. Daftness is going on here.

I find it makes life simpler.

Is the land in sight?

Ah, there it is - Land's End. Not long before we dock at Tilbury.

The thread title needs one too

Isn’t Lands End all around the UK? Who cares if it needs an apostrophe or not.

'Isn't' does.

Visited an old mate and his family last month. Noticed their new personalised slate plaque by the front door.

Was quite possibly ordered @ Personalised Natural Slate Stick Family House Name Or Number Door Sign Plaque | eBay, since it's this type they went with, apostrophe positioned in this exact manner ...

558858813_o.jpg

I think it's wrong whichever way you view it
- if just a plural form, not required
- if a possessive noun for the family regarding their home, as both the definite article and image indicate, then should have been placed at the end

Last edited:
-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
Visited an old mate and his family last month. Noticed their new personalised slate plaque by the front door.

Was quite possibly ordered @ Personalised Natural Slate Stick Family House Name Or Number Door Sign Plaque | eBay, since it's this type they went with, apostrophe positioned in this exact manner ...

View attachment 1060911

- if a possessive noun for the family regarding their home, as both the definite article and image indicate, then should have been placed at the end

Should be "The Kennedy's Home" but left out 'Home' to get the cartoon characters in.

Should be "The Kennedy's Home" but left out 'Home' to get the cartoon characters in.
That should still be "The Kennedys' Home", with apostrophe at the end, shouldn't it?

View attachment 1060911

Depends if this family is called Kennedy or Kennedys

That should still be "The Kennedys' Home", with apostrophe at the end, shouldn't it?
Er, I think that would be "The Kennedys' Homes" as in the Kennedy family owning more the one home.

...But I might be wrong !!

......But I might be wrong !!
I too think you might be. :)

When you refer to a family, you always pluralise it: the Smiths, the Robinsons, etc. So you should use the plural form of the possessive: The Kennedys' [House]. But I think in this case it would have been best simply to leave off the apostrophe altogether: The Kennedys [live here].

It occurs to me that they are telling the world that their family is now complete. They'd need a new plaque for a new addition. Also when the kids grow up and then leave home.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom