So whats the general feeling on here regards HDMI 1.3, Is every one waiting for it ?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by jamieuk23, May 3, 2007.

1. jamieuk23

jamieuk23
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Hi Just wondering what the general feeling is on here regards HDMI 1.3. Are you waiting to buy the New amps that will support it or arnt you bothered and happy to upgrade to whats on the market ??

Is HDMI 1.3 something to panic about and worth waiting for ?

Your thoughts :smashin:

2. hottstuff

hottstuff
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +149
    At present all it can offer you over what you can have , is Deep Colour & decoding of DTS-MA.
    I'm not waiting for it.

3. FunkyMonkey

FunkyMonkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    Certainly I am waiting for it. Who knows what the future holds. May as wait another month and get an amp that will be good for a few years more than what has come before.

4. jamieuk23

jamieuk23
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    from doing some reading up on it, it seems it doubles the amount you can transfer from the standard HDMI

So what exactly will there be double to transfer in the future ??? higher video bitrates and audio ??

Is Dolby True HD audio supported using standard HDMI or is that the idea of 1.3 ??

I am starting to think that it seems a waist of time paying out for it in the future and I would guess the first amps on the market would be £1000 +

:thumbsup:

5. Dr Force

Dr Force

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,421
    I have purchased the Sony3200ES to accept the decoded new HD formats.

The consensus seems to be that it is better letting the player do the decoding rather than the amp + deeper richer colours seem to sometimes detract from the film experience making things look almost unrealistic IMO.

I think as long as your amp can accept LPCM over HDMI (1.1 or higher) then there seems little point in waiting for deeper colours.

This whole HD sound is not even being utilised to the full potential by the software companies yet, just like 7.1 has not been utilised by SD DVd for many, many years.

I am happy with DD+ & true HD on a HD player the rest like Master Audio etc is best left to the audiophiles.

6. hottstuff

hottstuff
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +149
    In terms of the present HD Video/Audio , it's not something that is likely to happen in the near future , if it does at all.

This can be decoded by all players at the moment and transferred via HDMI as LPCM or analogue outs.

7. FunkyMonkey

FunkyMonkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    A point to note is that hdmi 1.3 receivers will NOT come at a premium as compared to launch prices of the models they are replacing.

It seems to me that most people who poo-poo the idea of HDMI 1.3-equipped amps are people who have bought one in the past 12 months with HDMI 1.2 or less.

It's like thos people who were saying abotu 6 years ago, "I don't need 6.1 or DTS, Dolby Digital 5.1 is enough for me". For many that may be the case, but I for one do not mind waitign a few weeks for HDMI 1.3 in the knowledge that a short wait will keep my receiver relevant for a year or two more.

8. sk8

sk8

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    don't have a HD tv, let alone a HD dvd player :D

9. norealplan

norealplan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +733
    I am aware of 1.3 and if I get it then great, however what I'm really waiting for a good amp at a good price that has 2 HDMI outs! I think when these come out in the next few months then they will probably be 1.3 anyway.

10. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    2 HDMI outs? thats a receipe for disaster

11. True-Blue

True-Blue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +177
    Just ordered an Arcam AVR350, so definitely not waiting.... just because an amp has the latest connections doesn't mean it's going to sound any good :)

12. Dr Force

Dr Force

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,421

It seems to me that people are convincing themselves that HDMI 1.3 is going to be far better.

That sounds silly doesnt it?

So your comments regarding the people who have purchased amps in the past 12 months is highly presumptious and just as silly:nono:

The point is people who have purchased amps in the past 18 months may benefit from HD audio so they can hear what you can hear via DD+ & True Hd without upgrading amps to HDMI 1.3.

Most software cannot give you the top end audio cus it aint on the disc so why all the fuss over the new amps ,and as I said ,the players are better decoding, which will be the whole shabang in a couple of years and our last gen amps will still send it to the speakers without HDMI 1.3.

13. norealplan

norealplan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +733
    :confused:

14. Mark Botwright

Mark Botwright
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,341
    Well i was all set to buy the Onkyo 674, but i'm personally going to wait now for the Onkyo 605. My feeling is, even if HDMI 1.3 isn't used to it's fullest potential, it can't hurt to future proof just in case.

If you need/want a great amp today, go buy one. However, if like me, you're not desperate you may as well see what the early adopters make of the new ones.:smashin:

15. kingfats

kingfats
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,001
    Hi
    I knew HDMI 1.3 amps were coming but that didn't stop me from buying the Denon 2807.I wanted to listen to the new HD audio formats here and now which i do and i love it.I did my research and couldn't find a reason for me to wait so i didn't and i'm glad.
    My Denon amp should be with my set-up for a long while just can't see any benefit for me to upgrade.Cheers.

16. FunkyMonkey

FunkyMonkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    I'm glad and if I couldn't wait, your logic would be faultless so I'm happy for you. The thing that gets to me is that some of us are prepared to wait a couple of months and I for one do not like the inference that we are nob-heads for wantign hdmi 1.3 when lesser connections do it all. Clearly they do, but may not in the future.

Agree with a previous poster that better connections do not a better sound make. Which is why I'm prepared to go for a receiver nearer the £1k mark, which is what I would have done hdmi 1.3 or not.

17. Welwynnick

Welwynnick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +942
    What is it about HDMI V1.2 that is inadequate for all current recorded audio and video material?

I've read all the specs inside and out, and I cant think of anything apart from perhaps automatic lip-sync compensation, and we don't 3even know whether that will be implemented by any players, amps or displays. Nothing is compulsory with successive HDMI releases - it's all optional.

Nick

18. hottstuff

hottstuff
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +149
    Thats just like saying those that poo-poo the idea of those who jumped on the bandwagon early are only jealous of those that already have all thats available now anyway.:)

19. Mark Botwright

Mark Botwright
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,341
    There's far too much poo-pooing going on around here:D
    If you can wait, you've nothing to lose.
    If you can't, i'm sure you can find a great amp without 1.3.

20. charris cy

charris cy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    My reason for buying an amp with HDMI 1.3 is that usually amps have better DACs than players and more powerful decoding abilities. It is their job! So they should be able to output the full potential of the HD audio sountracks.

There is nothing wrong in decoding Dolby Digital +, Dolby True HD, DTS HD and DTS MA in the players. But if you can do that in the amp, using the amp's powerful D/A conversion abilities then why not?

We will see...

21. kingfats

kingfats
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,001
    Yep,good point!
    If you're prepared to wait then i admire your patience.Me i want Batman begins on TrueHD blasting through my speakers now.....but it's up to the individual at the end of the day if they want to wait or not.Cheers.

22. DolbyDan

DolbyDan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +265
    I'm waiting on the Onkyo 605 too, better to buy that than the 604/674 surely.

For £400 the Onkyo's seems unbeatable for DTS-HD and DD True-HD users.
    I couldn't see the point of getting last years model, when this year features a lot more.

I prefer the receiver doing the decoding rather than the player.

23. davepuma

davepuma
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,506
    I am waiting because I now need an amp with HDMI as I've got a HDMI upscaler and PS3 and should I downgrade to a plasma/LCD I will get SkyHD. As it is, I'm using my projector for HD and if I need a new TV for day to day viewing, I will need a 3 in x 2 out switching unit, which probably won't be a feature on the new 1.3 amps. I don't think that manufacturers (only one amp available with 2 HDMI out AFAIK at present) have cottoned on that people might need it. I don't see the point in upgrading the amp for video switching only, after all, they're primarily there for the sound, so I might as well wait a while.

As it is though, I'm more than happy with the performance of my Denon 3805, so I can wait as long as it takes.

24. hottstuff

hottstuff
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +149
    :D
    lol I cant wait , but i can still buy now & then.

25. Dann'sTheMan

Dann'sTheMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    IMHO, the biggest advantage with v1.3 is Deep Colour. However, you need a v1.3 signal chain, to benefit from this, and this means both a v1.3 source, and a v1.3 display that can actually do something with all those extra colours. If you're buying an amp as part of a v1.3 signal chain, then it makes sense to wait.

As has already been highlighted that there's little benefit on the audio side in transporting compressed HD audio, as v1.1 & v1.2 have a solution - indeed a preferable solution if your source is HD-DVD. To the poster that commented about the quality of DACs in the player versus the DACs in the amp, this doesn't apply - as the player is "only" doing a digital-to-digital decode; the amp is still responsible for the DAC. The only benefit I can see on the audio side, is hopefully the latest amps (be they 1.2 or 1.3) have fewer restrictions on what can be done with LPCM (the earlier models had varying levels of support including inability to apply surround processing on LPCM sources).

For the reasons highlighted above, v1.3 is more of an advance because of video, and of course because of the additional bandwidth. However, for me my general feeling towards HDMI, is that it risks totally confusing the consumer, and damaging the adoption of HD (version numbers for a connector?! PLEASE!). If you're holding off on a purchasing decision for an amplifier, and you already own a good source and/or display - then make sure you're fully informed on what to expect. :)

Big smiles,

Andy.

26. Dr Force

Dr Force

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,421
    As Usual Andy comes in with a sensible and factual post.

27. FunkyMonkey

FunkyMonkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    Yes, touche, Andy. I bow to your wisdom.

28. Mark Botwright

Mark Botwright
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,341
    I agree 100%:smashin:
    For me it makes sense to wait as i'm looking to hook up a PS3 via the amp to a 1.3 TV. There seems little point having a 1.3 source and TV, then running it through an amp that's 1.2

29. jamieuk23

jamieuk23
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    would you say we will see 1.3 HDMI amps in with in the next 6 months ?

Havent seen much feedback from google

30. Welwynnick

Welwynnick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +942
    Andy has got it right.

There's little point venturing an opinion without being in full posession of the facts. HDMI V1.3 is NOT the first release to allow you to use the amps DACs for replaying TrueHD etc. V1.1 allowed that, and would output LPCM audio over HDMI, for the amp to D to A convert.

What V1.3 allows is for compressed TrueHD etc to be carried over HDMI. It was only possible for de-compressed HD audio to be carried before. The difference is that the amp will now do the decompression, and that is, as we all know, a lossless process. That suggests there will be no difference between the player and the amp doing the de-compression.

Note that such de-compression is quite different to decoding of compressed video, which is lossy compression, andwhere the quality does vary from one decoder or player to another.

Regarding deep colour, bear in mind that there are no planned sources of deep colour video for the forseable future (barring some HD video cameras), so there is little to be gained. V1.1 can in any case carry 12 bit YCbCr colour, so no big difference there either. Great shame in my mind, but there you go.

So THAT is why V1.3 is of no great benefit.

Nick