So whats the fastest net speed available today in the world?

Discussion in 'ISPs & The Internet' started by funcky, Sep 22, 2007.

1. funcky

funcky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    I am trying to look this up just out of general interest, would like to know what current tech is up to nowadays. I wonder how the UK compares to the rest of the world, whats the fastest we got? 24mb? thats like what 2.8meg a sec, I expect UK to be lagging behind like usual.

2. sbowler

sbowler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +481
    Didnt i see on the Gadget show that in Korea, because they have a fibre optic network for communications that they get 100mbs......:eek:

3. Wild Weasel

Wild Weasel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +720
    40 Gigabits per second in Sweden! :eek:

But it's just a demonstration one, not commercially avalable.

http://www.thelocal.se/7869/20070712/

I think sbowler is correct and you can get 100mbps in South Korea.

North Korea on the other hand has a piece of string between 2 tin cans. And the string is currently broken. :devil:

4. funcky

funcky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Wow 100mb is crazy, thats what, 12meg a sec? 720meg a minute, 1 gig in less than 90 secs, is that right? that sounds too fast even. Man it takes me about 6 hours to download a 10 gig HD movie on a 4mb cable, while Koreans can get the same file in less than 15 mins, and the annoying thing is they probably pay half what I have to pay for Virgin 4mb. I have to wonder when, if at all will we ever get to see those kind of speeds.

5. Naqv

Naqv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +355
    The stuation in the UK/Europe is different. South Korea can easily set up a new fibre optic network, as it is a relatively new country that is building continually (look at china buildng new CITIES!!!!!, whereas the UK has an establish network already in place, therefore it will be very difficult (expensive) to take out the old network and put in a new fibre optic one.
    BUT, in my opinion, something will have to be done soon (next decade), as bandwidth is already rationed in this country and there is no new bandwidth available. On top of that, 24meg (on like 10% of the country) looks like the top speed for the time being, with 8mb being more realistic (90% of UK, guesstimate)

Just my opinion.