1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So, what'll happen if my phone line isn't connected to my Sky+ box

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by RoyT, Mar 25, 2005.

1. RoyT

RoyT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Just had mine installed (hurrah!) with an Amstrad box (boo!).

Had a bit of a phone line problem as it turned out the line the old box was connected to wasn't working, although it must have been once to do the original install.

So, I've got an extension lead at the moment form my main phone point, which isn't very wife friendly.

How soon can I disconnect it and will I need to reconnect it at any time?

Does Sky+ really need the phone line to do anything, or is it like the digiboxes which can live quite happily with no phone connection at all?

2. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    If it's a new installation, you have a contractual obligation to have it connected to a phone line for 12 months. Sky can tell if the box is disconnected, because they send it commands via the satellite to "phone home". Sky are not as agressive about single box installations as they are about multi-room, but they could insist that you connect it. You don't actually need the phone line unless you want to order PPV stuff like Box Office Movies.

3. RoyT

RoyT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    So basically, it will work fine but Sky might get a bit stroppy?

I'll have a look and see why connection is suddenly failing, it's probably just a dodgy wire somewhere.

I do think if the box doesn't need it to actually work then the phone lines clause may be in contravention of unfair contract clause rules.

4. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Don't forget that if you have ADSL broadband, the Sky box needs a micro filter.

5. RoyT

RoyT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Yeah ta, it's the line that's dead cos I tried a normal phone in it...

6. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

The agreement to have the phone connection is what gets you a cheaper price though, if you don't want a phone connection then you can source the box on the open market and arrange install by an independent or do it yourself.

7. Radiohead

Radiohead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +433
    Or you can do what I did and find out it wasn't plugged in for 8 months.....

Nothing happened though and Sky have never contacted me.

8. RoyT

RoyT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    That's what i figured :D

9. Paul Yeoman

Paul Yeoman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have had my sky+ box , and the original box installed in another room, for about 12 months now. Thinking I could disconnect the additional box after the 12 month period is wrong - according to sky personnel.

They say that the cost of the additional subscription [£10] requires that both boxes remain connected to the phone lines.

They added that the second box could be moved to another address, and therefore would be 'cheating' them out of the additional revenue two installations would attract.

Any views? :eek:

10. John

John

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,616
    Part of the agreement to recieve the mirror sub (£10),is that both boxes have to remain connected to the same phoneline . You can disconnect them if you want , Sky will ask you to reconnect a couple of times ,then you will get a nice surprise on your bank statement :devil: .
    Check out the T&C's about mirror subs , its all there . I typed it in once ,try a search on posts by me (its an early one ;) )
    atb
    John

11. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

Ditto JohnScarlet.

The phone requirment for multiroom has been enforced since the service was first offered and is the only practical way SKY has to make sure that £10 smartcards carrying a package worth upto £41 are not distributed to third parties who could then cancel an existing package or just not buy one in the first place.
    They do seriously enforce these T&C's which any multiroom subscriber agreed too but you do get a warning before being charged full price for the second sub allowing you to fix any local issues.

12. Alexg

Alexg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I didn't have mine connected for ages, borrowed the RJ11 - SLJ lead for something and never returned it. I later baught a second box off Ebay and ordered another card from sky, I connected that one to the phoneline as I had to to do a call back test, but I left the other box disconected, a few months later we had a letter from sky asking to plug it back in, I forgot, a few weeks later we got another letter so I plugged it back in.

-Alex :)

13. John

John

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,616
    If you have multiroom , you don't get a third letter . I'm positive someone here got a suprise on their bank statement . As starburst said , its the one phone connection they police
    atb
    John

14. jenic

jenic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +179
    I have just had new carpets fitted and don't fancy taking them up to route the wire under them! Is there any other option, like a wireless adaptor or something?

15. sinbrad

sinbrad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

There are wireless options which have been discussed on this forum, just do a quick search as it's something others have had a problem with as well :)

16. Crivens

Crivens

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought Sky+ 160 and Multiroom at the same time. Within 3 months I got a letter saying I will lose the special low price on multiroom if I don't have them both on the same line. Turned out the installer plugged the wrong one in (I have BT and NTL phone connections). After a lot of hassle with people obviously reading from a manual I found out they have to both be the same provider. The reason I never cancelled my BT line in the first place was because I was told Sky *had* to have BT line. Nope said the bloke. Just both lines *must* be the same. Really? Why? Erm, don't know. Whatever. Works now.

Cheers

17. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Sky need to check that both boxes are installed in the same house. If the two boxes are connected to different phone lines, they can't do that.

18. Blondie

Blondie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i've had sky+ for 12months and never had it connected to a phone line, no need for it! don't use box office, buy DVD's like some sort of addiction and never have the time for the interactive stuff!!

19. Member 55145

Member 55145
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,489
    another reason why it has to be connected to a phone line (Other than ordering pizza) is to send sky statistics on what programs you watch and when. thats why they dont like you disconnecting it :nono:

20. John

John

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,616
    Didn't think they actually did that , although the capability is there .
    JS

21. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    I think you'll find they do.... it's the sort of data that advertising and market research companies pay big bucks for. Individual data isn't used (it would probably contravene the law) but Sky can collect the data from 1000's of viewers and sell it for market research purposes.

I don't think Sky ever miss out on an opportunity to make money :)