So what would you do to get a job at B&Q??

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by smelly, Jan 2, 2007.

1. smelly

smelly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
  2. signs

signs
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,316
    :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: that's really bad ...but funny

3. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,591
    My dancing extends to swaying (but we all know the steps to YMCA :D). Perhaps I would have got four others together...

Ahem. That is what you were asking?

4. smelly

smelly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    Obviously :D

5. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +600
    Quite a lot of firms now use mass interview processes to employ people, in these they use silly games and stuff to break the ice, chill people out a bit etc.....my old firm started doing it in the last couple years....

however the dancing and recording it bit is a little overboard in my opinion...lol

but it certainly builds good team rapport and keeps a workforce tight....certainly did the job in my last employers.....did it so well they got rid of all of us...LOL

seriously though, providing they dont go overboard its good fun.....we did stuff with the actual employees as well.....we did Big Brother, I'm an Ad Exec get me out of here, Exec-Idol etc......mostly incentive based stuff to increase sales etc, however with these big incentives the prize was often something quite fantastic....teams were usually muddled around every year, and 2 out of the 4 years they did these things I was on a winning team....the first time was brilliant, 10 of us on the team plus 2 managers got a night in The Mayfair Hotel in London with dinner in its rather posh restaurant, plus a showing at the cinema......total value they spent on us that night, around £1,000 :)

they did these things usually ever 8 months, each one lasting a month.....thats on top of the general weekly and daily incentives for winning drinks, choccies, DVD's, Books, small household goods, vouchers, cuddly toys and even dates with managers...lol

have to say, the gits made us all redundant (a very high up decision) but at least the general department level managers made it a very fun job :thumbsup:
    (forgot to mention Sky Music and Sports channels on LCD's all over the walls with sound over the ceiling speakers, fussball during the worldcup in the centre of the floor etc.....dayum....what work? :D)

6. Lee

Lee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,707
  7. krish

krish
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Astral Crescent, Zoovroozlechester, Betelgeuse V
    Ratings:
    +16,709
    The thing about many of the roles of the type you describe - boiler room advertising telesales - is that they get a whole bunch of people in for interview, Hitler youth style, then offer most or all of them a job, then watch as one by one they leave or are fired - very high attrition rate ... I know from my year in that environment. Some of their incentives weren't exactly legal either (and they were a PLC), but I kept my nose clean ;) ;)

8. Uridium

Uridium

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,855
    Mrs Uridium works for B&Q HR Dept :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

9. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +850
    I suppose if Michael Flatley ever went for a job at B&Q, he'd be promoted to CEO immediately?