So, what is your favourite film of all time...?

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by Family Guy, Jan 2, 2004.

1. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    We've had the 100 best and worst rammed down our throats by Channel 4 over Christmas. As voted by whom I wonder?
    Now, I've just read a thread by XOD in this very section. The man is actually passionate about film...as the Odeon adverts say. Now, we all claim to be Home Cinema buffs here, but how many of us really buy the DVD's for the film encoded upon it...? I know a fair few people here will only buy discs if they have a dts soundtrack...:rotfl: But that's a different matter.
    So, fellow forum members - what is YOUR favourite film of all time? And why? I'm not interested in answers like "Jurassic Park 'cos the dts soundtrack rocks":laugh: We all know it rocks...for info purposes only, so does the DD track:p

I'll start this off - up until recently, my favourite movie was the Godfather. To me, the standard of acting and storyline in a single movie has yet to be surpassed. However, laste week I went to see ROTK. I have not been phsically moved by a film since the first time I saw Batman...but this just done it for me. I wanted to stand up and cheer at every good moment in the film. And when I got home, I couldn't sleep. The story and characters just kept running through my mind. I'll see this film a hundred times in my lifetime and never get tired of watching it...to me, that's what makes it so special.

2. CrispyXUK

CrispyXUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    I'm with you mate, my favourite is also The Lord of The Rings, closely followed by Alien.

3. adi

adi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i'm with you Army Bloke - although i would say my favourite "film" has to be The Lord of the Rings - ie the trilogy viewed as it should be as one continuous film.

the reasons bieng (in no particular order) that i am a fan of the book, the casting and acting was superb, and the amount of detail, passion, love and sheer bloody minded effort that went into making them.

the range of emotions i felt during the trilogy was amazing - and i to wanted to stand up and shout on numerous occaisions

i have seen a peice of genuine cinematic history, and i honestly do not think anything i watch in future will surpass it

adi

4. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,652
    Not wanting to kill the thread but there are two very similar threads here and here.

5. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    The Lord Of The Rings Trilogy stands out in a class of its own. There has never been anything like it, and there never will be. It is simply uncomparable with anything else, and to just call it a 'movie' or 'film' is almost insulting, it's a masterpiece through and through.

As for very favourite film, there's probably about a dozen, including a few trilogies considered one long film, including Lord Of The Rings most certainly, which I will consider my favourite depending on which on I most want to watch at the time.

6. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Voting in the poll on Empire Magazine's web page, I placed City Of God at number One for my 'top ten'.

I can't remember the exact order of the rest, but can pretty much recall the rest of the movies:

Matrix Sequels, Jackie Brown, Ghostbusters, Withnail & I, The Godfather, Jurassic Park etc etc.

[edit]

Oh, and Star Wars :D

7. GrahamC

GrahamC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    My tastes have changed over the years and are now more towards the character driven type of film as against the flash bang wallop type so at the moment I’d go with

As Good As It Gets
    Pulp Fiction
    Mississippi Burning
    Shawshank Redemption

The LOTRs set is one film cut into three so people don’t wet themselves in the cinema and when I’ve watch them all into double digits they will go on the list as well. So that’s my list but I’ll have to face it, writing all my favourites down and picking them out of a hat would be just as valid.

:confused:

8. CrispyXUK

CrispyXUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    My Old Man just watched ROTK and told me he thought it was ****, what a ****er

9. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,663
    Apocalypse Now if I've got the time
    Also "Duel", "Das Boot", "Pi" and "Mad Max"

10. BadAss

BadAss
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
    Don't get me wrong the LOTR trilogy probably is the the best Trilogy of all time but I think we are all getting swept away by the scope and epicness of all the effects. If you took away the special effects would it be half as good as people think?

Thats why my vote goes to a much older film where most of what you see is real, as in not CGI. And that film is Ben Hur.
    In every way as epic as LOTR for plot and charractor development and pulling off some of movie historys most spectacular set pieces too.

So if there was a movie I could watch one last time before I died then BEN HUR would be the one.

11. -Spike-

-Spike-

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +296
    Well until I get to see ROTK which I'm sure will take the crown I have to say that one of my fave's of all time is-
    PAPILLON

Just love the story, acting and locations.

:)

12. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My fav ever film is Raiders of The Lost Ark, i was annoyed at the dvd transfer as i think the sound could have been completely remixed instead of them using the laserdisc 5.1 sound from mid nineties, thought it lacked something.

13. CrispyXUK

CrispyXUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Well that is the reason we havent seen LOTR until now because it couldnt be done without effects like that.

I still think it is the best film I have seen along with Alien & possibly the shining.

14. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It was remixed - the laserdiscs were never released in 5.1 - Dolby Surround only (AFAIK). I had the Pal boxset and have never seen NTSC versions in DD 5.1.

Have to agree with that 100%. Imagine if they had the technology back then. Ben Hur would have been even better.

Other films that spring to mind that I have watched recently (in the last year) that have made me sit up and take notice are The Pianist, A Beautiful Mind (If only Russel Crowe could have kept his mouth shut, he'd probably be picking up his third best actor Oscar this year) and The Life Of David Gale.

I saw Training Day and thought Crowe's performance in A Beautiful Mind made Denzel look like an extra in A Goofy Movie!!

15. rich tee

rich tee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Bruce Almighty was great, and Liar Liar too, my favourite Cheesy film is True Lies though it has it all.

Rich tee.

16. Semiskimmed1976

Semiskimmed1976

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Hmm difficult, cause my choice will always change as I grow...but my favourites which will never die for me are...

Gattica (I'm disabled, so I like the story's theme of saying you can achieve anything no matter what problems you have).

Romeo & Juliet (Baz Lurhmann's version - I knew about the story so the ending wasn't a shock to me, but the fact that it still moved me meant that the film was still powerful...also I love the scene when the lovers see each other thro the fish tank and des'ree singing is WOW!)

E.T. (OK its not the best film ever, but its one of the first films I can remember from my childhood so it deserves its place in my favourite list :) )

The Shining (Only film which made me drop my drink in fear! It was hard to convince people I hadn't wet myself!! :rotfl: )

17. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,463
    If I had to pick just one film it would be the original Italian Job. I saw it when it first came out at the pictures (cinema to give it it's new-fangled name ;) ) and have seen it dozens of times since. It has all the elements needed for a classic film.

18. ELV

ELV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    The Lord Of The Rings Trilogy, easily then The Mission and The Thin Red Line......

19. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Army Bloke they did a remix version of the Raiders trilogy for Laserdisc in the nineties, its true they were never released but the remix job we got on dvd was that same one intended for the Laserdiscs.

20. Len

Len

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No contest

Lawrence of Arabia

A film that has it all... Great cinematography, great acting, great soundtrack, great script... and no love interest whatsoever.

And the DVD version is even better because you get the overture before the film starts.

Then

Touch of Evil
    Citizen Kane

and take your pick from Swingers, Go and Memento

21. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +838
    Im going to ignore LOTR because its too fresh to be my fav film of all time (and its in a class of its own)

Fav film ever would be Goodfellas (SE in July!!!! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: )

Then JFK (even though it has been debunked recently)
    then Jean De Florette and Manon Des Sources

Gary

22. Bernard Barnett

Bernard Barnett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    My God, you guys are missing so much! I know most of the following movies were made before you were born - and in some cases before your parents were born - but they're all currently available and you must have heard of a few of them: Kind Hearts and Coronets, The Ladykillers, Double Indemnity, The Apartment, Hobson's Choice, The Maltese Falcon, The 39 Steps (Hitchcock's version), Citizen Kane, Sunset Boulevard, Annie Hall, M. Hulot's Holiday, North by North West, Some Like It Hot, The Seven Year Itch, To Be Or Not To Be (Lubitch version). Old B&W movies? Yes, mostly - but great stories, great acting, great direction, riveting entertainment. You couldn't do yourselves a better favour than buying or renting some of them.

23. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Gattica is also my number 1. A great tale of Triumph over adversity

24. fatbob

fatbob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The good, the bad and the ugly. :smashin:

25. CrispyXUK

CrispyXUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Seen most of those mate, just because we are quoting newer films doesn't mean we havent seen older films.

So were is Rear Window, Vertigo or To Kill a Moking Bird? or even Brighton Rock?

26. Bernard Barnett

Bernard Barnett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    And you reckon LOTR and Alien are better than any of the ones I quoted? OK. Rear Window and Vertigo have boring bits. Brighton Rock is unpleasant. As for To Kill a Mockingbird, I loathe movies where everything goes wrong until the last five minutes!

27. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,652
    Mine is ‘It’s A Wonderful Life’.
    For years I thought I was the only one with that opinion then I saw an interview with Kenny Everett and found it was his too, but over resent years I found it is quite a few others as well, and it was number 7 in the Channel 4 top 100 films voted by the public.
    I have never watched it with out it stirring my emotions, and was one of the very first DVD’s I bought.

28. CrispyXUK

CrispyXUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Yes I do, they are blatantly better films, amazingly well they are made (don't start on Citizen Kane :)), you can see the labour of love going into these. And I am in no way saying that older films arent as good, I like a lot of the films you quoted but it just happens to be that most of my favourites are from the last 30 years, which isn't that bad considering my grand old age of 23.

BTW: isnt Brighton Rock supposed to be unpleasant :devil:

29. narabdela

narabdela

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Paris,Texas.

Superb performances from Harry Dean Stanton and Natassia Kinski and that music from Ry Cooder!

:smashin: :smashin: :smashin:

30. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    I think the first person to ROTFL over that statement would be Ridley Scott. Are you seriously suggesting that "Citizen Kane" isn't amazingly well made?

Probably two of the few movies made with not one irrelevant or wasted moment, particularly "Vertigo".

Sheesh! The 'net - dontchajusluvit??? :D