1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So what is the twist in Unbreakable then?

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Ono, Jan 5, 2001.

1. Ono

Ono

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    I know, I know. I shouldn't ask but I asked about the twist in The 6th Sense before I saw that too.

So....was Brucie actually in a Coma and dreamt the whole film or something?

Or, was Samuel L his schizo other side (the weak side) or something surreal like that??

Please.......

2. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,412
    The problem with unbreakable was that I thought its target audience was too small and that far too many people will not have enjoyed it because of it.

I loved the film. Im a huge comic book fan and have a collection well into the 5000s and so thats why I enjoyed unbreakable so much.

It was like the "real" superman story. Just how a super hero film should be made. No corners were cut at all and as such the film ran slowly ( and this is what most people I imagine will object too ) Never was the story put too one side so that a nice special effect should be shown ( in fact as effects go I cant remember seeing any )]

In a way it was a film about life and at the same time it was SUPERMAN in real world speak.

I imagine most people will have been very bored by the film but they need to see the film for what it was.

Unbreakable in a way did for superhero movies kinda like what ARKHAM ASYLUM or DARK KNIGHT RETURNS did for comics

And as for the ending ??????

OK look away now..............

Bruce WAS a superhero ! He had powers and like all good superheroes he had weaknesses. ( Anybody who has ever played the DC COMICS RPG game will understand this ) the only thing was that HE was unaware of them.

Now SAMUEL was what every superhero needs. Without the JOKER were would BATMAN be and what would SUPERMAN have been like without BRANIAC or LUTHOR ? He was his nemesis.

3. Ono

Ono

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    Cheers for that Dunc.

You mean he was in Clarke Kent mode and lost his memory?

Hmmm, sound stupid. Worth buying on DVD when it's out then yeah?

4. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,412
    no he just did not know he had the powers

5. gwbailey

gwbailey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Duncan

I agree, I thought the film stuck to the story more than giving us over the top special effects. Which in this case made it a better film.

It just goes to show you that some times little means more!!!

6. bradavon

bradavon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I thought the ending was Very Clever and I really didn't see it coming.

Bruce was very good but Samual was amazing. He is such an amazing actor.

I would give the film 8/10. Very good indeed.

Anybody who didn't like it, didn't get the point. It should have been a 15 though. A lot 12 year olds wouldn't of got it.

7. Jay2000

Jay2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I dont think certificates are given to films based on the perceived intellect of the audience! [​IMG]

8. gwbailey

gwbailey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bradavon

I agree with you about the Cert 12, not because kids wouldn't get it but because when I went to see it there must have been six or so kids with guess what? MOBILE PHONES. Must have been a Xmas present, they didn't stop playing with them for 30 mins. Then they got thrown out.

Now don't get me wrong there is nothing wrong with Mobiles, but not in the Cinema.

Graham

9. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,788
    I thought it was an amazing film too. The person I saw it with isn't a comic book fan but she got it completely.

I got the twist when Elijahs mum was talking to Bruce in the gallery. Although I didn't get the extent of the twist until Brucey did....

Fantastic.

SPOILER SPOILER

Oh and it shouldn't have been a twelve just for the scene where the guy is spitting beer on to the tied up dead( and obviously abused) corpse of the women in the bedroom....12.. Nice.....

------------------
    StereoStereo
    Intelligent Solutions for Intelligent Homes !

10. MrFurious

MrFurious

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,546
    Really enjoyed the movie,all the cast were superb and i cant wait to see it again,the part where sam jackson fell down the stairs.....OUCH.....Look forward to the dvd.

------------------
    http://iamadvdaddict.homestead.com/dvdlist.html

11. charles

charles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +148
    Well,i havn`t seen the movie yet-but two people i know who have,said it was a monumental bore...and they got it...

12. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Born in Bristol but now in Newport, (for my sins)
    Ratings:
    +648
    Unfortunatly, I was disappointed with this.. I expected Sixth sence, but found it tedious..

But, whats the deal with the water.

We find out that apparantly 'water is Bruceys kryptonite'... But.. When he falls out of the window.. What does he land in.. Water!. Co-incidence.. I doubt it.. But it doesn't do him any harm.. Could it be that water makes him stronger?

There must have been a reason why it was mentioned that water was dangerous, but then he ended up rolling around in it..

Any ideas?

13. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,412
    The people who will get the most from the film are comic book fans.

WATER was said to be his KRYPTONITE because as a boy he almost drowned when falling into the pool at school. It was not said that water WEAKENED Bruces character but rather than it just affected him like it affects anybody else. If it gets into his lungs he will drown. Thats why he had to fight to get out of the water before he drowned.

Why do peoplw have to assume that all super heroes have to have heat vision and be able to fly. At the end of the day the film was about the every day hero inside each and every one of us.

The film would probably have apeared to drag because it never gave up the story

14. Matt

Matt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    He almost drowned when he was a child and now has a pathalogical fear of water, as would most people. It is not a literal weakness in the kyptronite sense.

15. RMCF

RMCF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +626
    Saw it last night (and resisted reading this thread as I did not want to know the ending) and was VERY disappointed. Again I think that it is just a case of films being hyped up so much that you will always be disappointed when you see them. I disagree with some comments here that those who don't enjoy it didn't get it. I got it fully but still found it an average film. The critics had said that the twist was far superior to Sixth Sense's. I disagree. Some good things that I can say about it was the performances of Willis and especially Jackson - superb. The ending was fairly clever, but there has been better, such as Arlington Road. And I did not find it slow at all, which has been a common complaint about it. My girlfriend was not so impressed. When we left I asked her if she liked it and her reply was 'Nothing happened in it !!' - I think that a lot of people might have this viewpoint. But it was either Unbreakable or Meet the Parents last night, and I just couldn't resist the hype (it does work on me sometimes).

As a final point slightly off topic - that viewing last night was the top of the list in my life for people walking in and out of the theatre. It was INCREDIBLY annoying (the girlfriend was calling me Victor Meldrew cos I kept tutting) and I even went to get a manager but couldn't find one. It was even more annoying cos I was in the back seat at the end of the row nearest the door, so I got the lot. And it wasn't even people going out one to the loo - it was the same dozen or so teenagers over and over. Now I am not an old grouch (well maybe a bit) but why pay £4 to watch a film and then spend the 2 hours walking in and out. Just stay outside chatting to your friends - don't go into a cinema and chat through a film. I neglected to say that they were up to this as well - not even whispering through it - actually chatting at normal volume. They are lucky they were on the opposite side of the theatre to me - I could just make them out - but if I had been anywhere near them they would have had it !! Maybe all the coming and going was indicative of the pace of the film, I don't know. Rant over.

[This message has been edited by SOK (edited 13-01-2001).]