So what is the life expentancy of a plasma?

ensyed

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I have had my Fuji EDTV plasma for 3 1/2 years. I am looking to upgrade to a 50 or 60in HD plasma. Just wondering how much life is left in my old plasma? I probably can only get peanuts if I sell it.

How long do these things last? Old Fashioned TVs used to last 10-15 years.

today's plasma TV's won’t show any visible signs of losing image strength until about 30,000 hours use which even at 6 hours a day 7 days a week would take 13 years! The latest generation of plasmas are capable of 60,000hours use.

The latest generation of plasmas are capable of 60,000hours use.

Not correct.
60,000 hours to half life, which means that the plasma is at 50% of the original brightness after 60,000 hours.

Not correct.
60,000 hours to half life, which means that the plasma is at 50% of the original brightness after 60,000 hours.

which can then be corrected by turning brightness up, which is turned way down for me now anyway.

which can then be corrected by turning brightness up, which is turned way down for me now anyway.

I assume this is a joke!! You cannot raise brightness to any higher than that which the phosphor is physically capable of. The only way it may *appear* to be doing so is if the screen is being run low anyway and so some recalibration keeps the level you want at below the maximum the now decayed panel is capable of.

Phosphor life is logarithmic by the way. So it doesn't steadily fall to 50% over 60k hours. It would be fighting fit all the way into the 50,000 area and would then begin to decrease at an increasing rate. In fact if I remember it may be an s-curve (i.e once it gets below 50% it then holds there again).

I assume this is a joke!! You cannot raise brightness to any higher than that which the phosphor is physically capable of. The only way it may *appear* to be doing so is if the screen is being run low anyway and so some recalibration keeps the level you want at below the maximum the now decayed panel is capable of.

Phosphor life is logarithmic by the way. So it doesn't steadily fall to 50% over 60k hours. It would be fighting fit all the way into the 50,000 area and would then begin to decrease at an increasing rate. In fact if I remember it may be an s-curve (i.e once it gets below 50% it then holds there again).

Me and my big mouth. :D

I've had 3 TVs in the last 12 months. I think the lifetime of a plasma is a non issue. I'm not sure the detail will make much difference to someone who has kept their TV that long.

You'll want to either bin it or upgrade before it becomes a problem.

Had my Panny PW5 for four and a half years and I admit this was a concern at the time as it cost be approx £3500k if memory serves me right, but when these days you can buy a TH-42PH10 for little over £800 this isn't really a big issue is it?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom