So, what is the French for "Three"?

I

Iam

You know, I always though it was "trois" ... but imagine my suprise when I was watching "Nikita" last night, & the subtitles translated "trois" as "two".

(As in, how many guns can I take? - "trois seul")

Turns out, "mon cher?" also translates as "Anyone home?" Well I never.

Sarcasm aside, those were only the cock ups my A level French could pick up after 20 years.

I've always preferred subtitles to dubbing (since Crouching Tigger's dubbing turned the dialogue into something truly cheesy), but the standard of dubbing on Nikita is absolutely dire, makes me wonder about the rest of the film, & some other titles as well.

Ive had many years of watching hong kong movies and there halarious subtitles, its a shame they dont pay much attention to the fact that other countries may be interested in seeing there films translated correctly.

As always with sub-titles and dubbing, you always feel you are missing something from the storyline, esp. dubbed films.

Originally posted by Iam
You know, I always though it was "trois" ... but imagine my suprise when I was watching "Nikita" last night, & the subtitles translated "trois" as "two".

(As in, how many guns can I take? - "trois seul")

Turns out, "mon cher?" also translates as "Anyone home?" Well I never.

I shall have to read the French writing on my dvd covers more carefully.:D

I was reading a review of Brotherhood of the Wolf which said that the witty filmscript lost a lot with the subtitles.

This means that a "menage a trois" will not be as exciting as I thought it would be :laugh:

I like Taxi 2 where they translate the speed in kph to mph so we don't get too confused

The subtitles were probably done by the same people that translate Denon amplifier manuals from Japanese to English

Originally posted by Yggdrasil
The subtitles were probably done by the same people that translate Denon amplifier manuals from Japanese to English

By a Greek bloke that lives in Mongolia!:laugh:

As I am hard of hearing I always have the film and TV subtitles on, and you get some really good gaffs on live TV programs which have subtitles :)

Originally posted by Squirrel God
This means that a "menage a trois" will not be as exciting as I thought it would be :laugh:

LOL, ive got horrible visions of a furry orgy

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom