• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

So..What I need is....

Mr Yakimoto

Established Member
Hi,

To my ears, my cd replay through my Tag System is very good. Like alot of people, the amount of cds in the house is getting ridiculous. I do have an xbox and PS3 that I can stream to but feel that this isnt the best route for ultimate sound

Not being overly techie, I am of the understanding that I really need a NAS (of sorts) and media reciever. For music I was looking at the RipNas but is it the best option? A seperate NAS and Rip through my pc could be just as good and much cheaper (although cost isnt the issue here). Also, is it worth getting a "better" CD ripper/burner in my pc? dbpoweramp state that their TEAC is awsome but you have to buy their program. Not a problem but how does this work with MonkeyMedia (see below)

I will need to re rip my CDs to FLAC and use something like Monkey Media which sounds like its good for my ipod (currently using itunes and AAC 320).

For replay, think i will plump for the Squeezebox Duet (I like the handset and smallish receiver) and link it digitally to mt DAC as to use its room equalisation (hope it will sound as good as Transport and DAC)

Now for movies, do I stick with the PS3/xbox or go with something like HDX1000? What is the difference?.

Is having Duet/hdx/cbox/ps3 overkill?

Be Kind

Last edited:

Mr Yakimoto

Established Member
Hi,

To my ears, my cd replay through my Tag System is very good. Like alot of people, the amount of cds in the house is getting ridiculous. I do have an xbox and PS3 that I can stream to but feel that this isnt the best route for ultimate sound

Not being overly techie, I am of the understanding that I really need a NAS (of sorts) and media reciever. For music I was looking at the RipNas but is it the best option? A seperate NAS and Rip through my pc could be just as good and much cheaper (although cost isnt the issue here). Also, is it worth getting a "better" CD ripper/burner in my pc? dbpoweramp state that their TEAC is awsome but you have to buy their program. Not a problem but how does this work with MonkeyMedia (see below)

I will need to re rip my CDs to FLAC and use something like Monkey Media which sounds like its good for my ipod (currently using itunes and AAC 320).

For replay, think i will plump for the Squeezebox Duet (I like the handset and smallish receiver) and link it digitally to mt DAC as to use its room equalisation (hope it will sound as good as Transport and DAC)

Now for movies, do I stick with the PS3/xbox or go with something like HDX1000? What is the difference?.

Is having Duet/hdx/cbox/ps3 overkill?

Be Kind

Anyone?

Mr Yakimoto

Established Member

Mr Yakimoto

Established Member
I give up :(

jamesl01

Established Member
I am going to buy a NAS because I don't want to continually be running upstairs to turn my PC on in order to listen to music...it will also connect to your PS3 and Xbox.

Not used Media Monkey so can't comment. I use DB PowerAmp to rip my cd's to FLAC and store them on my laptop. When I buy a NAS I'll copy all the music over and then point my Sonos to a directory on the NAS.

I've not had my Sonos for very long but so far I am very impressed with it. I run it into an external DAC in the same way as you are intending to do. The sound quality of this combination far exceeds the CD playback of my Arcam DVD player...probably not in the same league as TAG stuff, but I was pleasantly surprised just how good a streaming music system can sound.

There are after market mods available for both the Squeezebox and Sonos systems which are meant to further enhance the sound quality. This will probably be my next step in order to get the absolute best from my Sonos kit.

James

PS Your're on the wrong forum if you think it's possible to have too many gadgets :D

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom