So what have you picked up fromt he SALEs?

Mate, I thought you'd be spending a couple of days in a sleeping bag outside Harrods for a shot at getting that 50" PX600 for £75! :D

Went looking in town for a bargin, TBH - complete waste of time!! Went to B&Q and Homebase thinking maybe a power tool; the only things that were up as Sale items were furniture products and 20% off fire surrounds and radiators!! My advice - don't bother - the WWNet has probably got more bargins. Same goes for the Wonder of Woolies - apart for some limited cheap DVD and CD's and "choc selection boxes", there was nothing much on offer.
Should have stayed in bed!

i can't be bothered going out as most things are on sale online and i hate crowds and queues and i'm feeling crappy with the flu today

i did order the bond box from hmv for £95 pre xmas, and yesterday ordered a laptop for my sister and neice for £280 which seems to be about the best deal going for a budget model (the pc world £199 looks crap)

i don't really need anything else, altho i'm sure i'll get a few more dvds, and i could be tempted by a nice expensive coffee maker if i can get one half price in john lewis or something, like a £200+ model half price from gaggia or something fancy that looks good and will hardly get used

i also want to bag another argos xbox, but stocks are whats stopping me there. i want to mod it to as a media player for the living room

Are the S'markets open today anyone:lease:

The somerfields over the road from me is - I would guess most are.

Shaz

Are the S'markets open today anyone:lease:

there's an ad on telly saying tesco is open today, and i can look out my window and see the one across the street is open, they only closed for xmas day, and i think NY day

Picked up the LOTRROTK 4 disc set for £3.73 from woolies, bagged two so one for me and one a cheap present, hehe.

People who go to the stores on Boxing Day get on my t1ts. Haven't they got any friends or family?

I refuse to spoil somebody's Christmas break by making them work on Boxing Day just so I can look for a non existent bargain. It's high time stores were forced to close from Christmas eve until 2nd January. There's no reason for them to open.

Anyway, no public transport today round here, so obviously the authorities don't want us to shop. And how are staff supposed to get there without using their much criticised private means?

I don't want it to become a normal day, because I don't want to work then, and so don't expect anyone else to. It's funny that the only ones who want stores to open are those who haven't been forced to go back to work yet. Your time will come.

People who go to the stores on Boxing Day get on my t1ts. Haven't they got any friends or family?

I refuse to spoil somebody's Christmas break by making them work on Boxing Day just so I can look for a non existent bargain. It's high time stores were forced to close from Christmas eve until 2nd January. There's no reason for them to open.

Anyway, no public transport today round here, so obviously the authorities don't want us to shop. And how are staff supposed to get there without using their much criticised private means?

I don't want it to become a normal day, because I don't want to work then, and so don't expect anyone else to. It's funny that the only ones who want stores to open are those who haven't been forced to go back to work yet. Your time will come.

well not everyone is looking for bargains, tesco's ad says you usually get a ton of food for xmas, but come boxing day you'll have run out of milk or bread or something

not everyone celebrates christmas either, i bet 9/10 of the staff in my local tesco's don't, and some people have nothing else better to do, if they live alone, have no family, not many friends etc, so rather than sit home and be bored and lonely they would rather work, particularly in shops where the job isn't exactly hard work and the day passes quickly when it's busy, not to mention people who appreciate getting paid double time or time and a half for working those days, better to get double time and work than be bored and lonely at home. if you take a job working in retail it's expected of you to work those days which can be some of the busiest in the year, so if you don't like working weekends or bank holidays etc, you're in the wrong job

i don't know about your area, but our buses are running a sunday service, even on christmas day, i got a bus to my parent's house yesterday. only some buses were running mind, and i think those that were running were on routes that passed by hospitals so people could visit ill relatives

i'm off right now, but i don't have much say in the matter as my office is on forced closure, but as i live alone it wouldn't make much difference to me what days i worked. when i worked in retail we only got xmas day and NY day off, but not many people cared as there was a good buzz in the stores working those days and plenty people went to the pub and had a good time afterwards, so it's not all doom and gloom

if stores were forced to close for a week as you say it would cause all sorts of problems for people running out of food and other necessities, plus it would be a restriction of trade and not very ethical. christmas isn't a religous holiday, but even if it was, the government has no right to force everyone in the country to follow one religeon's traditions when there are many people who don't believe in them, or follow other religeons. many other people would prefer to choose when they could take holidays and take them at another time, rather than be forced to take them at a fixed time along with everyone else

and some folks don't have friends or family, and there's nothing wrong with that. it might happen to you one day. why should everyone be forced to not be able to work, just because you don't want to work?

there's an ad on telly saying tesco is open today
Thank god for that - the 26 tonnes of food that most people bought over the weekend must be running dangerously low by now.

Shops that expect their staff to work on Boxing Day should be ashamed of themselves.

tesco's ad says you usually get a ton of food for xmas, but come boxing day you'll have run out of milk or bread or something
That's just Tesco trying to justify the real reason for them opening, which is entirely commercial.

I see very little reason for anyone running out of anything critical over a two day period. And if they did maybe going without would be a learning exercise for the following year.

well not everyone is looking for bargains, tesco's ad says you usually get a ton of food for xmas, but come boxing day you'll have run out of milk or bread or something

not everyone celebrates christmas either, i bet 9/10 of the staff in my local tesco's don't, and some people have nothing else better to do, if they live alone, have no family, not many friends etc, so rather than sit home and be bored and lonely they would rather work, particularly in shops where the job isn't exactly hard work and the day passes quickly when it's busy, not to mention people who appreciate getting paid double time or time and a half for working those days, better to get double time and work than be bored and lonely at home. if you take a job working in retail it's expected of you to work those days which can be some of the busiest in the year, so if you don't like working weekends or bank holidays etc, you're in the wrong job

i don't know about your area, but our buses are running a sunday service, even on christmas day, i got a bus to my parent's house yesterday. only some buses were running mind, and i think those that were running were on routes that passed by hospitals so people could visit ill relatives

i'm off right now, but i don't have much say in the matter as my office is on forced closure, but as i live alone it wouldn't make much difference to me what days i worked. when i worked in retail we only got xmas day and NY day off, but not many people cared as there was a good buzz in the stores working those days and plenty people went to the pub and had a good time afterwards, so it's not all doom and gloom

if stores were forced to close for a week as you say it would cause all sorts of problems for people running out of food and other necessities, plus it would be a restriction of trade and not very ethical. christmas isn't a religous holiday, but even if it was, the government has no right to force everyone in the country to follow one religeon's traditions when there are many people who don't believe in them, or follow other religeons. many other people would prefer to choose when they could take holidays and take them at another time, rather than be forced to take them at a fixed time along with everyone else

and some folks don't have friends or family, and there's nothing wrong with that. it might happen to you one day. why should everyone be forced to not be able to work, just because you don't want to work?

A few responses:

Tesco's will tell you whatever it takes to get people through their doors.

If people don't celebrate Christmas, then it's a normal day for them. Will they refuse the double/triple time as it is obviously no matter to them that it's a holiday for others?

Remember when sunday trading came in? No-one would be forced to work sundays? B******S. If you refuse to work, you don't get the job. Many are in retail because they can't get anything else. I worked in retail for 6 years, and NO-ONE wanted to work bank holidays, sundays, or Christmas or New Year.

No buses here at all. So much for public transport.

Closing and giving retail workers a decent break would only inconvenience a few. Opening when having to pay workers more puts up the cost of every sale made that day=cost push inflation.

I don't really object to anyone working if they want to. But only if there is a cast iron guarantee that anyone who doesn't wish to, doesn't have to.

If certain people don't celebrate Christmas, what right have they to take it as a holiday. And why do taxis cost more during the festival? They don't put the prices up during ramadan, diwali etc, so isn't this illegal on religious grounds?

I refuse to spoil somebody's Christmas break by making them work on Boxing Day

What about us guys who keep the internet working? Should we take the day off too? :D

Ah well, I'm on double pay, plus overtime pay (pay and a half), plus I'm working from home, yay.

And why do taxis cost more during the festival? They don't put the prices up during ramadan, diwali etc, so isn't this illegal on religious grounds?

Because there is more demand for taxis, supply and demand, so they can charge what they want, its a sellers market. Doubt the need for taxis increases much during ramadan, diwali etc...

Well i went to out local currys and got a nice microwave. Only to bring it home and find out it was too damn big for the shelf :rolleyes: Took it back, and the rather jolly manager gave me my money back (even though i`d already lost the reciept).

Picked up Band of Brothers box set in hmv for £20. That`s about it.

A few responses:

Tesco's will tell you whatever it takes to get people through their doors.

If people don't celebrate Christmas, then it's a normal day for them. Will they refuse the double/triple time as it is obviously no matter to them that it's a holiday for others?

Remember when sunday trading came in? No-one would be forced to work sundays? B******S. If you refuse to work, you don't get the job. Many are in retail because they can't get anything else. I worked in retail for 6 years, and NO-ONE wanted to work bank holidays, sundays, or Christmas or New Year.

No buses here at all. So much for public transport.

Closing and giving retail workers a decent break would only inconvenience a few. Opening when having to pay workers more puts up the cost of every sale made that day=cost push inflation.

I don't really object to anyone working if they want to. But only if there is a cast iron guarantee that anyone who doesn't wish to, doesn't have to.

If certain people don't celebrate Christmas, what right have they to take it as a holiday. And why do taxis cost more during the festival? They don't put the prices up during ramadan, diwali etc, so isn't this illegal on religious grounds?

why would anyone refuse overtime payments at any time for time they are happy to work? it's not like they would usually have the option to be paid a lower rate as tesco or other big companies as the rates would already be set. i'm not quite sure what your point is there. if people are happy to work days that other people don't want to do and they can benefit financially or otherwise from doing so, whats the problem? it's a different case if people are being forced to work days or hours they don't want to do, but then again if you work in certain fields then thats whats expected of you

i'm in scotland, so i don't think the sunday trading laws affected us the same as in england as i don't recall we ever had any restrictions on the days we could open. when i was a kid i remember going to the local shops for rolls and papers and they were still open. when i worked in retail many years ago i would work 7 days a week whenever i could, most people wanted to work the sunday for 2 reasons, one so they got paid more, and secondly as the hours were less than a normal day. we were paid a fixed wage for working 5 days, but on a sunday we just worked 5 or 6 hours instead of 8 and were paid the same. that might not be the case with most companies now, and you would just be paid an hourly wage, but even then, sundays can be one of the most boring days of the week, and i'd prefer a friday or other day off work instead, and collegease in the past shared a similar view. it was the same with bank holidays, we always worked them, but those were some of the better days to work. we got christmas day and new years day off and that was it, nothing else was guaranteed, and people didn't have a problem with it. what's so special about boxing day in particular? no-one is complaining in particular about not getting xmas day off, those who do have to work it usually have particular jobs that require 24/7/365 coverage, like nurses, firemen, etc, so most people would get xmas day off, so why would they need another day off after then? it's not a religeous day, not that most people care about that any more. there are plenty of people who are willing to work and want to work, so why should people prevent them from doing so?

opening on a day a store would normally be closed and paying staff overtime rates doesn't necesarily mean inflation either, otherwise the stores wouldn't open if they weren't going to be profitable. it's similar to businesses running night shifts at busy times and paying double time. your rent/rates and most other costs apart from electricity and heating will remain the same whether the business is open or closed, so your additional cost of paying time and a half or more likely double time balances out

what right do people have to take christmas as a holiday if they don't celebrate it? everyone has the same rights regardless of religeon, sex, race or age. in most cases people are forced to have to take the day off as the business closes, they have to take that day off as a holiday whether they like it or not. i'm not quite sure what your point is here. it's not a religous holiday. there are no religeous holidays in the uk where anyone is forced to have to take a holiday or work

taxi's can charge what they like as long as they are regulated and follow rules. they charge more in the evenings than daytime. i'm not sure how rates differ on xmas day or NY day, but again, most taxi drivers have the option of working or not, and by giving them the incentive to benefit from days that other people don't want to work it helps out people who rely on that form of transport to get about. not everyone uses a taxi to get home after a night on the beer, some old people need them to get around, to visit relatives on xmas day, visit hospitals etc. some disabled or blind people rely on them also. if they want to work, let them. if you don't want to pay an extra couple of quid on xmas day or NY day, don't get a taxi

it's all about letting people have the option of working if they want, or not if they don't want to, and that in turn gives others the option of using the services or not, so people can buy groceries and other necessities, or get around on public transport or taxis

it's another story companies who sell consumer goods like tv's, sofa's, carpets, etc, rather than food, drink and other necessities. people don't really need to rush out and spend that xmas money burning a hole in the pocket on a new telly, but for the economic reasons i mentioned above, as companies are already paying most of the costs for the property whether it's open or closed, they will open the business if there is going to be customer demand which is sufficiently profitable for them. if consumers didn't want to go out shopping on boxing day, the stores wouldn't open. it's just simple demand and supply. i personally don't want to go out on the first or second day of the sales and get caught up in the hustle and bustle, but obviously plenty people do, and some get a kick out of doing so. i'll pop over to tesco's later as i don't have any real food in the house, as i live alone and buy enough to last a day or two at a time, and haven't needed to cook at home since thursday or friday, bar toast and eggs for breakfast, with tesco's being open, and most items i buy perishable within a few days, i haven't needed to stock up on food to last me until today. if i didn't have the option of tesco's being open, then i could either get something and freeze it, or there's plenty chinese, indian and whatever else takeaways open, and local muslim run stores, all who were open today, christmas day and every other day. why should anyone want to force those people to close thier businesses when they want to open and benefit from demand and lesser competition? what good is it going to do anyone by forcing them to close?

Because there is more demand for taxis, supply and demand, so they can charge what they want, its a sellers market. Doubt the need for taxis increases much during ramadan, diwali etc...

taxi's can't charge what they want, i'm not sure if it's the same with minicabs, but i don't think so either. taxi's have to be licensed to operate and the local council sets the rates they can charge, so all taxi's charge the same. whilst taxi travel is apparently the most expensive per mile of any form of transport, i don't think they bump up the prices as much as everyone thinks on xmas/NY. i think they have a higher initial charge when you get in, maybe £2 instead of £1, but i think the mileage rates are the same. it's not like they charge double or anything like that. i think they have a day and a night rate, so would charge a higher intial cost and maybe use the night rate or something.

anyways, ramadan happens over a number of days doesn't it, so it's a different thing altogether, whereas xmas is like the 1 big day of the year, and maybe NY eve/day. but it's only really the folks who are going to drink a lot that are really going to need NY day off. in scotland the 2nd is also a public holiday as our hangovers are traditionally so bad, we need hair of the dog on NY day, and the 2nd is to recover from that

The local authority can only set 'Hackney Carriage' charges 'Private hire' the one's that are supposed to be pre booked can charge what they like.

Daren't even venture into town lol

Picked up 2x dell printers online for £26 though (see hotukdeals for info):thumbsup:

couldnt be bothered going out didnt fancy that malarky :D
did a bit of surfing the net and cant see much in the way of bargains this year
tho i did notice currys/dixons putting the price of lcd's up just before xmas

The local authority can only set 'Hackney Carriage' charges 'Private hire' the one's that are supposed to be pre booked can charge what they like.

i thought the council set the prices for them too. mind, i thought usually they offered cheaper rates to be more competitive from the licensed cabs, and certainly not higher rates, and why should they if they don't have to pay for a license. mind, they aren't allowed to pick people up off the streets like licensed cabs, at least not up here, they can only pick up pre-booked customers, so you can't flag them down in the streets and get a shock with the prices. thats the case in edinburgh anyways

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom