So what do I need to get Dolby Atmos into my speakers

tonyrees687

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hello all.
Big post hope you don't mind.
Forgive the vagueness of the heading but I need some guidance on what pathway I need.
I would like a Dolby Atmos system with 2 ceiling speakers.
I have an old 5.1 system consisting of
Yamaha rxv667 amp
Sonus Faber Concertinos for left and right speakers
Sonus Faber Domus centre
Ruark vita 100 as left and right surrounds
Ruark Vita 100 sub woofer
Panasonic TX P65VT30B plasma
I have Sky Q 2TB box with the full subscription package.
So I need a new amp capable of Dolby Atmos and a pair a ceiling speakers ( I live in a bungalow so fixing ceiling speakers should be ok to do ).
Im wanting to use my old speakers for the rest of the work. They are still very good i think?
Now I have read that Sky Q is ok for putting Dolby Atmos into a capable AV amp/Receiver and produce 5.1.2. Atmos sound, but the Netflix on Sky Q does not do this. Is this correct.
So to break it down.
New Amp.
2 new ceiling speakers.
A fire stick of some kind to get Atmos on Netflix ?

Something to get Amos from Netflix and Sky Q working properly.

My Plasma is getting on a bit now and does not do UHD so missing out with Sky Q.
So A new Telly 65 inch or bigger with a great picture for movies and sports.
I don't watch DVD just Sky and Netflix.
This will be a long time purchase so something easy to do will be brilliant.
I have a budget say
£400 amp
£200 ceiling speakers pair
£ ?? on the Netflix thing
£3000 something for a new TV can accommodate a 75 inch ( normal viewing distance from 9ft to 12 ft) .
This is my room
Cheers for any guidance.
Tony

Attachments

• IMG_8696.JPG
    IMG_8696.JPG
    4.7 MB · Views: 136
You'd need at least a 7 channel AV receiver with Atmos decoding. If looking for other Netflix sources that would give you Atmos if and when available then you should look here:

Which devices support Dolby Atmos audio with Netflix?
The following devices support Dolby Atmos with Netflix. For exact device models with Dolby Atmos available, please visit the device manufacturer's website.

• Apple TV 4K (requires tvOS 12 or later)

• LG OLED TVs (2017 or newer models)

• Panasonic TVs (2019 or newer models)

• Pixela 4K Smart Tuner

• Roku TVs (2018 or newer models)

• Sony BRAVIA Android TVs (2018 or newer models)

• Toshiba TVs (2019 or newer models)

• Vizio TVs (2018 or newer models)

• Windows 10 computer or tablet (requires Windows 10 RS3 Build 16299 or later)

• Xbox One, Xbox One S, and Xbox One X

Dolby Atmos on Netflix

You do occassional get Atmos on HD Blu-ray releases, but many of the studios restrict their Atmos output to their UHD discs. You can in theory still use a UHD player to play UHD content and watch it via a HD TV, but the video will be scled down to 1080p max.

I'd maybe suggest the DEnon AVRX2500 or the Yamaha RXV685 as being viable options for the AV receiver. I'd also not dismiss the Sony STRDN1080 as being an option, but one which is compromised in terms of its inability to portray DTS:X via ceiling speakers.

There are a myriad of ceiling speakers available and like everything in audio the more money you throw at it the better they should sound, for £200 you will get a very good pair. Receiver wise there's little wrong with a Denon X2500, though personally I would push a little extra for the 3500 which has a better EQ system and could be of benefit in your L shaped room.

If you have the SkyQ 2tb box you can get Netflix as part of the package which will give you 4K and Atmos on those programmes that support it. Also with that package you would also be able to access Netflix from any other device you have in the house at no extra cost.

4K TVs are also improving, especially OLED and I would recommend this as you are coming from a Panny plasma. I picked up a Panny 65FZ802 at the start of the month after coming from a 50VT65 and I must say I'm absolutely delighted. I sit roughly where you will be and the 65 looks huge. The Panny also has Netflix on board and is slightly better than the SkyQ offering.

Now your both telling me what I want to hear. Good news that the pannys get the Atmos via the TV and the Denons seem to do what I need them too. You are making this easy.
So last question the Atmos speakers Should I put them inbetween view1 and 2 about 3 feet out from the side walls?

Note that neither of your sofas would provide a seating location where you'd be correctly positioned to get the effect of surround sound relative to your TV's and speakers' locations. This is basically what you are aiming for if wanting a surround sound experience:

snapshot001.jpg

If you have the SkyQ 2tb box you can get Netflix as part of the package which will give you 4K and Atmos on those programmes that support it. Also with that package you would also be able to access Netflix from any other device you have in the house at no extra cost.

Not via the onboard Netflix app. You cannot get Atmos via Netflix using a SKY box.

Not via the onboard Netflix app. You cannot get Atmos via Netflix using a SKY box.
But I can from the Panny telly yes?

Note that neither of your sofas would provide a seating location where you'd be correctly positioned to get the effect of surround sound relative to your TV's and speakers' locations. This is basically what you are aiming for if wanting a surround sound experience:

View attachment 1145275
I know. Bane of my life is the living room But need the sofas on each side they are 4 seaters and we need the seating space .

But I can from the Panny telly yes?

Not unless its a 4K UHD TV. Netflix only supply Atmos in xonjunction with content accessed via an Ultra HD account. You'd only get access to Atmos if you had such an account and if accessing Netlix via a 4K capable device. Ypur current TV cannot access Atmos via Netflix.

Not unless its a 4K UHD TV. Netflix only supply Atmos in xonjunction with content accessed via an Ultra HD account. You'd only get access to Atmos if you had such an account and if accessing Netlix via a 4K capable device. Ypur current TV cannot access Atmos via Netflix.
The Panny 65FZ802 that gibbsy mentioned looks like something I would get.

I know. Bane of my life is the living room But need the sofas on each side they are 4 seaters and we need the seating space .

It is pointless you perusing a surround sound or Atmos setup then. You have to be sat where the speakers relate to. THe following document gives guidance on this:

https://www.dolby.com/us/en/technol...tmos-home-theater-installation-guidelines.pdf

You'd be wasting your money if not able to be seated where you'd be expected to be seated.

This year's new Panasonic TVs do include the ability to output DD+ with the inclusion of Atmos metadata sourced via the onboard Netflix app.

You may be right, I don't get that bad of an experience where I'm sitting now in View 1 position. As I want to get a new amp and benefit from a new tv I thought it might be worthwhile to get an Atmos amp and a couple of ceiling speakers.

You may be right, I don't get that bad of an experience where I'm sitting now in View 1 position. As I want to get a new amp and benefit from a new tv I thought it might be worthwhile to get an Atmos amp and a couple of ceiling speakers.

You are orientated incorrectly irrespective of which of either sofa you sit on. You need to be facing the TV with wurrounds to your back, centre in front of you and the left and right speaker to your left and right.

Maybe look into getting an L shaped sofa that will at least allow some of those seated on it to be able to get the correct effect associated with a surround sound and or an Atmos setup? THe seating really needs addressing before you start spending anything on the AV equipment.

The pic I posted is my room now with all the speakers I have in place. The TV sits back in the alcove about 100cms (3ft) This is all I can do with the room unfortunately.
This is what Ive got to work with. And I sit just on the right there.
IMG_8697.JPG

Last edited:
It would be wrong of me to suggest it viable to install an Atmos setup in the room with your proposed orientation to the screen and in relation to the speakers. You really need to be facing the TV with your head orientated to the speakers as I previously described. The only things I can suggest are to consider different seating arrangements to better accomodate your TV's current location or relocating the TV and seating?

Ok Cheers dante for your thoughts. Just go for a new telly then and an amp to pass through UHD if I need an amp to do that. If I don't then more money saved.

The FZ802 is 4K and supports the full Netflix app.
Is this good for watching the rugby on. Motion ok on it. Wales winning the world cup on it.

Brilliant for rugby, any sports really. More than can be said for the Scarlets.....losing to the Dragons, Duw Duw.

Brilliant for rugby, any sports really. More than can be said for the Scarlets.....losing to the Dragons, Duw Duw.
Oh I know. Awful. Anyhoo Im gonna get my a new Panny mate Cheers. They look a good price too.

I have this same tv and you cannot get Atmos via the Netflix app on this tv.

Currently, your best streaming device for 4K content is an Apple TV 4K. It is I think, the only external player that will stream the 3 main 4K platforms and supports Atmos.

As for ceiling speakers you can often get a pair of MA C165s (open box) for £150 for the pair on eBay. They come around about once a fortnight, on a Friday. I use them and they make very good Atmos speakers. You will be hard pressed to find better at that price point.

I run them with both my AVR X2400H and my 3400H

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom