So what are your biggest WOW games this Generation?

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by kristianity77, Sep 2, 2013.

1. kristianity77

kristianity77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +489
    Seeing as this generation is now facing its final curtain with only a few solid releases left before we no doubt get waist deep in shovelware, what have been the games for you guys during the whole generation? For me...

Bioshock - I've never been amazed by anything as I was by this when I first played it. The water effects, the setting, just everything. This was the first game that made me feel like I really was playing a next generation game at the time.

Red Dead Redemption - Had been waiting for this one for perhaps a year before it came out. Still for me so far (until perhaps GTA5) the best open world yet with again, an amazing setting and great graphics to draw you in.

Fallout 3 - Another open world game, but again, totally believable in the setting it provided. I probably put 70-80 hours into this at the time and loved every single minute of it.

Dark Souls - Another one i sunk probably 100 hours into and never actually got around to finishing as I got stuck near the end. But thought the setting was brilliant, multiplayer was done really well and all in all, another superb game.

Rayman Legends - I know its only been out about a week but I have sunk so much time into this game, Its probably the best platformer of this generation for me, even though there hasn't been too many. It will be criminal if this doesn't go on to sell well.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2013
  2. saibot

saibot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    Would have to agree with you on Bioshock, loved everything about it. Story, setting, graphics, gameplay couldn't put it down. I think I played it through to the end and then started again straight away.

Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare. First time playing an online beta and was blown away. After years of only playing single player campaign's and mostly WWII shooters this was just amazing to me. Was the reason I went gold so I could play it when it was offically released later that year.

The Saboteur. Had tried to play the different gta games over the years,but just couldn't get into them. Solution to that problem, base them in a WWII era. Loved the feel of it in black and white, the size of the area you roamed around, the 30's/40's music again another game I must have played non-stop.

Oh, forgot to add Alan Wake.

I think if any of these games had more dlc, I'd still be buying/playing

Still have red dead redemption in a drawer, and planning to finish out the current gen with it.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2013
  3. Lostsoul 301281

Lostsoul 301281

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,753
    I'd probably have to go with L.A. Noire.
    Great game, great animation. Although the free roam elements do feel a little unnecessary.
    Each case is a game in itself.

I'd also say Mass Effect.
    For all it's faults(the series in general), it still had a hell of a lot of good going for it.

Assassin's Creed is another game that has it's down sides, but plenty of up sides to make it one of the most memorable games I've played on the Xbox 360.

Dead Space.
    What can I say about it?
    The first one was spectacular. It revived the survival horror genre and made the Silent Hill and Resident Evil games of this generation look like Viva Pinata by comparison.

4. Courtjezter

Courtjezter
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,538
    Rainbow 6 Vegas,

Due to the online element of it. It was outstanding and i spent ages playing it.

Gears of War 1.

Bloody hell they were outstanding graphics.

Cod mw 1.

There was a couple of sections in this game that made my jaw drop, The AC130 section and a level near the end of the game where you are running along and suddenly a bloody great missile takes off.

PGR3,

You mean i can watch other races like i am watching the tv.

5. Lostsoul 301281

Lostsoul 301281

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,753
    Very true!
    It was outstanding at the time.

6. kristianity77

kristianity77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +489
    I remember Gears Of War 1 was the first time I've seen a game have the "Roadie Run" camera shake thing going on. First time I saw that I thought it was amazing

7. Lurking Lawyer

Lurking Lawyer
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,933
    It seems an age since I bought my first 360 at Easter in 2006, so I'm tending to remember only the more recent games if I'm honest.

Game of the generation for me has to be Dark Souls. It may not be the absolute best game in itself (although it is IMHO pretty damned excellent) but never have I got so immersed in a game to the extent that I found myself thinking about it, reading forums and wikis and guides when I wasn't playing it. The proudest badge of honour (so to speak) of this generation is being able to say that not only did I complete Dark Souls but I 1K-ed it too.

There are a load of others that would make it into a top ten but if I was to limit myself to another, say, three they would be (in no particular order):

Oblivion - this was the very reason I bought an Xbox in the first place, because my PC was too ancient to run it.... I think my final save game, after returning to it some years later to play the DLC, showed near enough 150 hour sunk into it. Such was my immersion in it at one point that my wife (only half-jokingly!) threatened divorce and decided to change its name to Oblivious, such was my willingness to tune out the rest of the world while I was playing it.

Fallout 3 - there's a pattern forming here, isn't there.....? I loved the original games way back, I love sandbox RPGs (see above!) and I'm a sucker for a good post-apocalypse story. Combine them and I'm in gaming nirvana. I didn't sink as long into this as I did into Oblivion, but the total time wouldn't have been far off.

CoD Modern Warfare - if for no other reason than it completely redefined the FPS genre, and everything in that mould since then owes so much to it.

Honourable mentions have to go (again in no particular order) to the Mass Effect series, Fallout: New Vegas, XCOM (for a great reboot of an all-time favourite of mine), LA Noire (for trying something new, even if it wasn't completely successful - but still entertaining) and Dishonoured.

I have so much left to play, or go back to and complete, that I'm trying very hard to getting embroiled in the whole next-gen hype thing and holding off on XB One or PS4 until there is a price drop next year. Such is my weakness for new gadgets, however, I fear I will crumble before release day.....!!

8. Lurking Lawyer

Lurking Lawyer
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,933
    Just realised I forgot Red Dead Redemption. How did I do that?!

On balance, I think that Grand Theft Cowboy displaces Modern Warfare from my three runners up.

9. jason g

jason g
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,682
    gears 1 - for the story and mp.

bioshock - that first moment you arrived at rapture.

assassin's creed 2 - best of the series by far.

the godfather - loved that game, spent hours playing it.

COD4 - ghillies in the mist was one of the best levels i have ever played.

fallout 3 - bought new, sat on my shelf for 3 years, then i played it 3 weeks solid and no other game, why it took me so long to play it i don't know, amazing game.

bayonetta - amazing game totally underrated imo, shocker that nintendo got the sequel, i was gutted.

dead space 2 - the sequel was even better that the first game.

COD3 - just for the mp alone, spent endless hours playing the mp on this game, in my top 3 of mp games along with gears 1.

crackdown - great fun game to play.

alan wake - spooky as hell and a brilliant game.

RDR - great game, let down slightly by having to get all the animals but other than that i enjoyed it.

halo combat evolved - the reason i bought the original xbox and later bought the HD version on the 360, brilliant single player game.

portal 2 - brilliant co-op game and the voice overs were so funny.

fable 2 - loved this game.

fuse - another brilliant co-op game which sadly not many played for some reason.

GRID - out of all the racing games i would put this at the top.

tiger woods 09 - amazing graphics and still the best golf game, the 09 version won't be beat imo.

fear 3 - another game i thought more people would play as it's a great co-op game.

the orange box - 5 excellent games.

la noire - the gameplay was a bit ropey but just for the actual setting, it looked amazing, i drove around for hours just looking at the visuals of the game.

enslaved - one of the best games most people probably haven't played, such a shame as it really is brilliant.

castlvania LOS - another bayonetta type game and another brilliant game, sequel due out next year too.

splinter cell conviction - great stealth game.

metro 2033 - a sort of fallout type game but more action rather than rpg, still a great game though, really eerie setting underground.

brothers in arms HH - brilliant game, controlling squads was so easy too.

battlefield bad company 2 - loved the mp in this game, the campaign was great too.

EDIT: how the hell i didn't put left 4 dead on my list is beyond me, best co-op game ever.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2013
  10. Lostsoul 301281

Lostsoul 301281

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,753
    How could I forget Portal?!
    I was a little disappointed with it to be honest.
    Not because the game play or graphics were not good or anything. Far from it.
    My only gripe was that it was over so quickly.
    I'd have loved to have seen another 20 test chambers than there was.

11. Stulock Holmes

Stulock Holmes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +586
    Skyrim - stuck it back on the other day and still wowed by the landscapes and views. Put more hours (150+) into this than anything else, even the fallouts.

Similar with RDR, amazing environment.

And with AC2 I was amazed by what it would let you do on terms of climbing, but also how easy it was to execute - you felt in complete control of what you were doing.

12. Noggleboggleman

Noggleboggleman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +293
    Fallout 3: My favourite ever game and one that I continue to come back to.

Portal 2: Co-op sessions over Live with my brother still form some of my favourite gaming memories.

Battlefield: Bad Company 2: The first multiplayer online shooter I'd really got into and it's still my favourite.

Bioshock: I got bored about half way through and never finished it, but it's the first game I played on an HD TV and I was gobsmacked by the graphics and production values.

13. kristianity77

kristianity77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +489

Yeah Bioshock was the first game I tried when I first got a HD telly! Just the whole first scene of swimming to the lighthouse in 720P just made my jaw drop at the time. I got the TV the same day as I got my first ever 5 in 1 surround kit as well so to play that, have all the atmospheric sound effects coupled with grainy 50s music playing in the background, was unreal to me at the time!

14. MikeKay1976

MikeKay1976

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,985
    So many to list (to be expected given the length of the generation)

For me, highlights would be

Gears of War Trilogy
    Just Cause 2
    COD MW trilogy (yes I know it has its issues but COD4 introduced such solid online play)
    FallOut 3 (possibly skyrim as well but i play this on PC)
    Forza 3
    PGR3
    Bioshock 1 (though the others were good too)
    DeadSpace (not played 2 or enough of 3 yet to comment)
    RDR - a technical masterpiece, though somewhat spoiled by clunky controls.

15. Lostsoul 301281

Lostsoul 301281

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,753
    There's a few other games this generation that have left an impression on me.

Borderlands
    There was something about this game that just... was right.
    Something about the atmosphere, the music and the general feel that made this game really stand out for me.
    I remember before I got it, I was pretty dismissive of the game because it just seemed like it was trying to ride the coat tails of Fallout, but when I bought it and really gave it a chance I realized that it had something very special of it's own.
    Part of it's appeal to me was the feeling of isolation which was emphasized by the soundtrack.
    Unfortunately it was something that the sequel didn't seem to recreate, at least as far as I felt.

Tomb Raider
    This remake/reboot/reimagining, whatever you want to call it, is just fantastic.
    It's a very emotional journey that pulls you in from the very beginning.
    It feels as though you're taking on this struggle with Lara at a very intense level.

The Darkness
    This is another game that I wasn't too bothered about when I first tried the demo.
    After a second attempt I made the decision to go out and buy it and it was another game that really pulled you in.
    It felt very personal and was a great mix of a "normal" FPS with a decent amount of free roaming thrown in to make it feel a lot less linear.
    The nightmare sequences were a masterpiece in their own right.

Assassin's Creed Revelations
    I know there are a lot of people out there who don't consider this game to be one of the better ones in the franchise, but I beg to differ.
    It's another rather emotional journey, as we're seeing Ezio's later years, and through him Altairs final days.
    It also did a great job of making it feel like the first game, with the improvements we've seen in the titles since.

Turning Point: Fall of Liberty
    Here's a hidden gem.
    Although not the most graphically spectacular game, and it doesn't break any boundaries in terms of gameplay, it is one of those rare games which "punishes" you for being the hero.
    You fight your way through streams of Nazis, and in the end you stop a nuclear bomb from being dropped on New York, but are killed for your efforts.
    It's my kind of ending.

Condemned
    Another oldie but goodie.
    This was one of the first horror style games for Xbox 360.
    And it threw in some mild detective work as well.
    It was very creepy and just the type of game to play with the curtain closed and the lights off.

16. Boozehound

Boozehound
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,771
    Loads already mentioned (COD, Gears, PGR, Forza) but the biggest surprises for me were Halo Reach and Halo 4. I was never a fan of any Halo game but the campaigns in both of those just sucked me into the whole universe and I cannot wait for the next instalment. The ending to Reach is also without a doubt the best I've ever seen in a videogame.

17. jason g

jason g
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,682
    i edited my list on the post further up because i missed a game that was the best co-op game i have ever played -

Left 4 Dead.

never had such a laugh in any other game than this one with friends.

18. Lostsoul 301281

Lostsoul 301281

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,753
    Same here.
    I was lent Halo 4 earlier this year, played the campaign and then hit up the Spartan Ops.
    It all sucked me in and I borrowed Reach from another friend and really enjoyed that too.
    Now I want to get hold of Halo Anniversary and ODST, and possibly Halo Wars.

19. Furnace Inferno

Furnace Inferno

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,250
    I agree with many of these, but Rayman Legends is my game of the generation.

It's been so long since I've played a truly timeless platformer but this game is just perfect, 20 years from now just like Super Mario Bros before it, I will still be able to play it and think it's amazing.

Unlike Mario though even the graphics are timeless, you're basically playing a Disney movie, that's how good they are! I paid full price for it despite having a huge backlog of games, for the simple fact it deserves to be supported. I really hope it sells as much as it deserves to because it's even better than Mario.

20. quarry2006

quarry2006

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +469
    I have nothing new to add so I can only add my vote to the following:

Bioshock - the first game I played on the 360. Innovative storyline, sumptuous graphics, unsettling characters and a genuine feeling of immersion.

Gears Of War - the second game I played on the 360, having been bought both this and GOW at the same time. I still thrill from this game. I'm not big on shooters but I love the camaraderie between Marcus, Dom, Trane and Baird. And the Locust are an enemy to really hate.

Fallout 3 - I love massive, sprawling RPGs and this one fits the bill perfectly. I love the original targeting system and the levelling up. The atmosphere of this game is so well realised. Damn near perfect.

Red Dead Redemption - every man wants to be a cowboy and this game realised that dream flawlessly. The sense of scale is epic. I've lost count of the amount of times when I've stopped playing just admire the sunset - how many games can you say that about?

I still get as much out of those games as I ever did. Timeless classics all.

21. RichieB

RichieB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    I came to the XBOX and the 360 a little late so never really had the love for the Halo's and PGR's so here is my top 3 of the generation:

1. Read Dead Redemption - Far an away the best of the generation for me. The only disappointment was the Undead DLC which just didn't work for me.

2. Assassins Creed Brotherhood - I just loved being in this world and Ezio was in his prime.

3. Battlefield: Bad Company 2 - The only multiplayer I have enjoyed. My O/H will attest to the silly late nights and rage caused by this perfect MP. Oh, and you can destroy almost everything!

Honourable mentions go to Saints Row 2, Tomb Raider 2013 (never felt like such a bad*ss in a game before), Batman AC, May Payne 3 and Dead Space.

BUT..... I have GTA V arriving in the next day or so! We will see if this changes my top 3 :)

22. NewBeetle

NewBeetle
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,412
    1: COD 4 onwards (simply can't be beaten for FPS multiplayer)
    2: Burnout Revenge (haven't enjoyed a racing game as much since and I've played them all pretty much)
    3: Bioshock (graphics and design simply blew me away, still looks and plays well today)
    4: Crackdown (pure genius)

23. kristianity77

kristianity77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +489
    20 or so hours in, I'm gonna have to add GTAV to my list as well. It would probably go to the top in all fairness and displace Dark Souls as my best game this generation, its that good!

24. meweavy

meweavy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,278
    Seeing as we are nearing the end of ps3/xbox 360, and most people are getting next gen consoles.
    What has been your top 5 games that you have ever played this gen (ps3/360).?

For me.
    1.skyrim
    2.the last of us
    3.gta5
    4.mass effect 2
    5.cod 4.

Honourable mentions
    Walking dead series 1-5
    Half life orange box.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2013
  25. Mr Noble

Mr Noble
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,019
    1. GTA V
    2. Red dead redemption
    3. Defiance
    4. uncharted 3
    5. Kane and Lynch

26. King Tones

King Tones
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18,223
    Ooh good thread.

1. Red Dead Redemption - This was outstanding from start to finish, I would spend hours just riding around on my horse and heading to the top of a mountain and watch the sunset. Great storyline and GFX. I would love a RDR on Next Gen.
    2. COD4 - Excellent SP and awesome MP that got me back into gaming online. Ghillies in the Mist was amazing !
    3. Bioshock - Played it in one sitting, I was hooked and could not put it down. The atmosphere and world it created was simply stunning.
    4. BFBC2 - Vietnam DLC - Simply amazing! Best MP Game to date for me. I put in 120+ hours just into this DLC it was beautiful and stunning with an amazing soundtrack.
    5. Prototype - Maybe not everyone's choice but made me feel like a GOD! Just pure carnage, tearing up time square and taking out choppers and tanks was soooo much fun.

Thinking about it I could easily do a Top 10 so I am going to :D

6. Gears Of War - The Advert for this and AC made me buy a 360 after trying out a friends. Excellent game and you can chainsaw the enemy in half. I grinned like a psychopath and loved it !
    7. Assassins Creed 1/2 - Stunning and excellent combat and storyline that yeah got a little bit weird towards the end but cracking game.
    8. Batman AA - Hated the demo but borrowed the game from fellow AVF Member as everyone assured me it was great. Thank god I listened to them. Once it gets going it was excellent. Combat GOOD, Story GOOD, Action GOOD, GFX Good ! Voice Acting Amazing !
    9. Guitar Hero 3 - Sunk so many hours into this with the Mrs. Great songs and just great fun. Would of Put Rock Band but this is where it started for me.
    10. Halo Reach - Probably one of the best Halo's for me with SP and MP. Stunning ending and not really felt like that for a game before. Weird something got in my eye towards the end.

And honourable mentions to

50 Cent Blood On The Sand - Soooo much fun
    Prey - Excellent Sci Fi game with some really good gaming mechanics.
    F.E.A.R - Scared the crap out of me in some parts !
    Mirrors Edge - Another game I completed in 1 sitting. This should probably be higher but only just remembered it.
    Vanquish - You have seen the storyline a 1000 times before but its still great fun, Gears of War on ACID !
    WaW - Hard as nails SP on Vet and cracking MP

Ok think thats it, sorry really could not keep it to 5 once I started thinking about it.

27. King Tones

King Tones
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18,223
    Come on people what have been your best games this Generation ???

28. Boozehound

Boozehound
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,771
    WAW is a turkey for me on veteran, pulling Treyarch's usual trick of giving the bad guys access to 1 million grenades each to make it ridiculously difficult.

Other than that though, great list. Mirrors Edge is a fantastic shout, that was a superb game and I got a real sense of achievement when I got the cheevo for finishing it without using a gun on anyone. Reach will go down as the best ending to a videogame ever for me - I can't see anyone topping that. MW3's campaign was pretty spectacular too.

Which reminds me, some of the biggest fun I've had this gen was on MW2 and 3's Spec Ops missions. Get a mate, stick it on veteran and just lose yourself in some OTT action that could outdo Michael Bay. Gutted that Ghosts doesn't have this mode.

29. saibot

saibot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    Just read that earlier this week that spec ops is no more, disappointed alright. Myself and friends would play those for hours.

30. meweavy

meweavy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,278
    And dead space 1&2 simply stunning edge of your seat games.
    Borderlands 2.