1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So what am I missing .....

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by John, Dec 26, 2004.

1. John

John

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,685
    So the wife got me a little mp3 player for crimbo . Supposedley all I have do do plug it into a USB port and XP will recognise it as a storage device . But nothing :confused: .It has charged alright ,and the lcd ops fine . I have tried it in 3 different USB ports so far .Nothing ,not even a bing of a bing bong ;) .
    I have tried installing the programmes that came with it . but even thet don't recognise it.
    One thing I have noticed is that the USB connector does semm to be shorter than the others I can see , not by a lot, And the fact it charges suggests that it might not be an issue

Its a Phillips key011 . Not the biggest baddest machine , but will do for what I need it for
    Tia
    John

2. john.hem

john.hem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +210
    Hi, I know this may sound silly. But when you place it into a USB slot does it switch itself on, if not you may have to manually do this. I've got two MP3 players, one switches itself on when connected the other has to switched on manually. Do your other USB devices work properly? This may help.

John

3. John

John

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,685
    Yep , powers up fine ,charges fine :confused: .
    I've plugged it into the USB my mouse uses , no joy there :thumbsdow
    I've tried to update the firmware , but that involves plugging it in and holding down the pause button , but nothing there.
    Will try it on another PC later (that'll be a MAC tho) maybe it will connect to that .If not , I guess it will be to back to Argooos :D
    JS

4. Seth Gecko

Seth Gecko
    retired member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +193
    Stupid question - but is the device actually switched on when it's connected ? Also, some MP3 devices have to be mains powered when connected to the PC (The Sony HD1 does for example).

Sorry if patronising - but always a process of elimination !

5. John

John

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,685
    Right , plugged it into BIL's Mac and it recognised it straight away :thumbsup: .Couple of MP3's transfered no problem. Begining to think its a bit of a connection issue with my ports. None of the ones I have easy access to are square to the surrounding area , the player has to go in at an odd angle. I would hazzard a guess that its just not sitting properly.Will buy a usb port multiplier thingymebob in the week ,and see how I get on with that
    thanks everyone
    john

6. probedb

probedb
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +181
    USB is a bit picky at times, I've found this between different ports on the same mobo.

7. mattross

mattross

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Have U checked that it hasn't installed it silently? Open Explorer or My Computer and see if U have any extra drive letters. Also if XP says it is a HI-SPEED device running on a non-HI-SPEED connection [as a bubble box in your system tray] it could be a USB driver problem. XP has some issues with some USB2 ports.

8. John

John

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,685
    No extra drives are appearing in explorer and no bubbles in the taskbar either ;)
    Ive refreshed (f5) explorer , held the pause button + refreshed - nothing

Will pull the pc out later this week and try to plug it in the back , put until I get some sort of mini hub , I don't think it will conect :rolleyes:
    atb
    John

9. bumper31

bumper31

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Have a look in device manager/hardware to see if it has failed to install properly. (Do this with it conected)

If it has there will be a USB device listed with a yellow exclamation mark next to it.

Remove/uninstall it then plug it back in again

10. John

John

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,685
    :clap: I've had a bing bong :D :clap: (2 actually)

bought a little usb hub this morning , pugged it in . Bing Bong :smashin:

plugged in my MP3 player . Bing bong :smashin:

looks like it was the dodgy angles I Was trying to plug it in at originally

Cheers for all the advice guys

John :hiya: