So we have an 'Andrex' puppy...

Steven

Senior Moderator
Solutions
Reaction score
May contain some rambling and noob-like remarks >>>

Inspite of my repeated warnings to my brother that a dog isn't just for Christmas (summer holidays) etc etc for life, guess what turned up today?

So we need some free advice from you friendly lot! Yes, instead of researching it and thinking it through my brother got the puppy anyway. My parents don't care either way - work afternoon to night - and are willing to cough up for it!. How do we toilet train a puppy? Is it too early to think about obedience*? And how do we stop the house smelling like a pet shop? lol. The only thing my brother thought about is insurance :rolleyes: And does it matter we also have two guinea pigs?

*Next door have two dogs several months old now and do nothing but bark at passers-by all day and get shouted at by the owners. Yes those are the same weed-smokers (the people, not the dogs). Don't want ours to be like that!

Thank you in advance and pictures to come later!

first thing is ring a VET and ask about injections you shouldnt let the pup out the house (or is it in?) without some, Also check with the breeder what injections have been given (is the dog KC registered?) to startwith news paper is needed to train the pup and dont use bleach as it encorages them to pee again in the same spot to mask the bleach!

If by "Andrex" puppy you mean labrador or golden retriever, the first thing you've got to be *very* careful with is that fact that a lot of them are so dim they will eat anything.. Don't leave them alone with anything that they can chew, or it will be toast, and you'll have a huge vets bill on your hands for the removal of a shoe and a dvd player from your dog's bottom..

As for obedience - you can try! You'll find that very young puppies won't listen to anything for the first few months, then might respond to their name, and maybe sit, if they get a treat when they do!

Toilet training is easy. As soon as the dog looks like it's going to go to the loo, take it outside. Let it run around outside for as long as it takes to do the business, and once it's done, praise it and let it back in.

Remember not to take the dog out on public paths, etc until he's been immunised tho... :smashin:

I'll ask my brother what injections, if any it's had when he's back from the shop. Atm the thing, sorry puppy is running around chasing a ball. Oh, it's a she

Apparently (from what I heard) with Labradors you either train them from very early to obey or they'll just destroy everything.

My brother's got a black one and he sits in his basket while my brother fills his food bowl in and won't move from there (although he won't take his eyes off the bowl) unless my brother tells him he can. It's quite impressive.
Don't get a cat around it though....

Yeah watch what they eat, and always keep an eye on them. The brown one below ate a whole box of Paracetamol when he was a pup (£250 vet bill), he has also chewed threw the back of the sofa (£4,000), eaten at least 15 cushions, destroyed phone lines, carpets, chewed walls. He got into the food room when he was 3 months and ate 80% of his body weight in mixer (£400 vet bill).

The black one chewed through the water pipe on the dishwasher (£20 for the pipe) and the whole floor had to be replaced. Also when chasing cats, they jumped over the fenced but the dog did not understand that concept and kept running and went through them (not very good fence pannels, £630 to replace with lab proof ones). He also has a problem with his front leg, that so far has cost us around £9,000.

However after all that I love them to bits and as I have said in the past a lot more than the missus (they are far less hairy).

IMGP4581.jpg

persist with the obedience training is my advice, give her treats and things when she does well until *hopefully* she learns to respond to what you ask. My dog (a labrador crossed with a sausage dog:D ) is very well behaved i have to say, he doesn't bother with other dogs, cats and you can take him out without a lead, just keep up the training and they'll think it's a great game when they get a treat:)

Russell_Piper said:
Yeah watch what they eat, and always keep an eye on them. The brown one below ate a whole box of Paracetamol when he was a pup (£250 vet bill), he has also chewed threw the back of the sofa (£4,000), eaten at least 15 cushions, destroyed phone lines, carpets, chewed walls. He got into the food room when he was 3 months and ate 80% of his body weight in mixer (£400 vet bill).

The black one chewed through the water pipe on the dishwasher (£20 for the pipe) and the whole floor had to be replaced. Also when chasing cats, they jumped over the fenced but the dog did not understand that concept and kept running and went through them (not very good fence pannels, £630 to replace with lab proof ones). He also has a problem with his front leg, that so far has cost us around £9,000.

However after all that I love them to bits and as I have said in the past a lot more than the missus (they are far less hairy).

So glad I'm a cat person- If they'd cost me that much I'd be cruising the area looking for a Korean Resturant :eek:.

Ed Selley said:
So glad I'm a cat person- If they'd cost me that much I'd be cruising the area looking for a Korean Resturant :eek:.

Thats what I threaten them with, when they are playing up, the neighbours think I have lost it.

Talk about scare stories!

I take it the original plan of letting it sleep in the living room alone (well the guinea pig cage is there) should be re-thought?

LFC_SL said:
Talk about scare stories!

I take it the original plan of letting it sleep in the living room alone (well the guinea pig cage is there) should be re-thought?

1 million percent, I still cage the brown one when I go out for longer than 2 hours.

Hmm they look so adorable and innocent on the adverts. Lots of bitemarks on the ball though :)

Russell_Piper said:

Most of that is very amusing :) - but the vets bills do highlight the importance of good insurance. My dog is insured with Pet Plan - not the cheapest, but they do continue to cover ongoing problems year after year. Most will refuse to cover long term treatment when the policy renewal comes up, excluding it as pre-existing.

I've avoided any real household damage by making sure that the dog has always had toys he can chew (much cheaper than furniture) but gave up on the idea of obedience a long time ago. He has made it very clear that he will only do what he is told if there is an edible incentive.

sjackson said:
A friends lab ate a box of polyfilla and then got thirsty.
That’s parrot food.

I take it was a joke or was it?

How old is it? They should be not allowed to mix with other dogs till the vacsinations have had time to work. This is generally 10-12 weeks then there OK to go outt.

Socialize them as much as you can meeting other dogs and people. Also there is a CD out which gets them use to noises, so when Bonfire night comes round or any other time of the year the idiots let them of they will not be cowering in fear.

I need to double check with my bro, but it's a shade under 2 months I think.
Garrett said:
Socialize them as much as you can meeting other dogs and people. Also there is a CD out which gets them use to noises, so when Bonfire night comes round or any other time of the year the idiots let them of they will not be cowering in fear.
I gather the puppy has met/caught the scent of/heard the two dogs next door from all the stupid barking (mostly from next door)

About bonfire night...it has sort of got used to the noise of gunfire in Half Life 2 - quick learner!

Thanks for the link. Only a quid as well!

Pat_C said:
Most of that is very amusing :) - but the vets bills do highlight the importance of good insurance. My dog is insured with Pet Plan - not the cheapest, but they do continue to cover ongoing problems year after year. Most will refuse to cover long term treatment when the policy renewal comes up, excluding it as pre-existing.

I've avoided any real household damage by making sure that the dog has always had toys he can chew (much cheaper than furniture) but gave up on the idea of obedience a long time ago. He has made it very clear that he will only do what he is told if there is an edible incentive.

Both are insured with Pet Plan Platinum (£90 a month) The toys dont help, I own a pet toy wholesaler, I have about 100,000 toys in my house at any one time, they prefer furniture.

Russell_Piper said:
The toys dont help, I have about 100,000 toys in my house at any one time, they prefer furniture.

Aw such an awesome comment right there.

I'm pretty sure it's a yellow labrador...or a golden retriever. One of the two! :blush: It'll be today or tomorrow for pics - can't find the bluetooth adaptor!

Hope the dog hasn't ate it... :D

P.S. Do puppies sleep?! It's been pining all through the night! I've just played with it for an hour and it decided to go to it's basket. Thoguht it was tired, now it's pining again just as I type this!

P.P.S - is it OK for it to chew on all those weeds growing through the flags in the garden?

Thanks in advance and for bearing with the amateur not googling instead nature!

It will whine when you put it to bed for the first week or so... Don't react to it and it'll soon learn. Just make sure there is plenty of paper down and fresh water - if she gets worked up because she thinks she's been shut in somewhere she'll wee all over the place and need plenty of drinking water.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom