1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So then, how good is the Hitachi pj-tx100?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Gorshin, Jul 26, 2004.

1. Gorshin

Gorshin
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Wondering if any of you punters have seen this in action? The specs looks great and it has had some v. positive results based on this German test:

http://world.altavista.com/babelfis...toren/LCD-Vergleich/LCDVergleich.htm&lp=de_en

This test suggests the picture quality is superior to the Z2, ae500 and HS20!!!! :devil:

Here are 2 screenshots of it in action, looks grrreat: :smoke:

http://212.105.197.43/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=3839
    http://212.105.197.43/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=3838

Must say this looks like a better buy on paper than the h30 or 4805. Also the price may drop below a grand within a few weeks, esp for cash in hand etc :zonked: It's only £1050 currently!

2. brain

brain
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    im just about to buy one of these - however im interested in what you say about price drops...is this speculation or do know this for sure?

3. danjos

danjos
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Its an excellent projector imo, but it does suffer from VB and it seems to be luck of the draw to what extent your chosen unit will suffer from it. From what ive read it seems like most of the immediate competition in its price range will also suffer from VB to some degree, so if i went back in time i would still buy the tx100 :)

4. tincupuk

tincupuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just wondered if i could add a question please ?

If any one has hooked up an Xbox to the TX100 and what were the results like in there opinoin ?

I would like to know how good the picture was in progresive and interlaced if any one knows ?

Anyway thanks again

5. Neil Watson

Neil Watson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +78
    I have the TX-100 projecting onto a homemade 2m diagonal screen (blackoutblind material over wooden frame)
    Only tried the Xbox via S-video as didn't have the required cables for anything else.

Looks damn good from 3m back with no VB. Yes you can see the panel stucture if you go up close but from more than 1.5x screen width its non-existant. You can always defocus slightly if it really bugs you.

Have also hooked up my laptop via analogue d-sub connection and played an avi file. The TX-100 actually showed up more detail (shadows and gradients on explosions so I guess contrast ratio is better) than the LCD panel on the Laptop which was showing the same image simulatenously.

I haven't gone into the advanced menus yet as I haven't needed to. The tx-100 picked up every resolution I through at it and switched automatically. Had to change the aspect ratio for the x-box but that's due to using s-video. I will be upgrading to components connections soon and getting an AVIA setup disc so things should only get better :)

HTH

6. tincupuk

tincupuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks that was very helpfull . I am waiting for mine to arrive thursday and u have put my mind at rest

I also wondered if any body knows if the TX100 had any history of dead pixel problems ?

Thanks again

7. Gorshin

Gorshin
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
  8. Gorshin

Gorshin
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Just the natural course of events for any pj. It comes out then the price gradually drops over time. I'm willing to bet you could get it for a grand cash in hand.

9. ShinObiWAN

ShinObiWAN
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Gorshin,

I recently had a HS20 for a few days and then moved onto a TX100 because of a fault on the Sony.

I'd rate the Sony picture as the better of the two but there's nothing much in it and one person could easily turn around and say the same of TX100, black levels are identical - that is not perfect but adequate and the best you'll get on any current generation LCD.
    In brightness terms they are virtually identical when using the iris function on each - best to have a totally dark room.
    Screendoor and the Sony beats the TX100 easily here.
    Resolution and again the Sony is way up on the game with 1386x788 meaning you can play PC games in 1024x768 with 1:1 mapping unlike the TX100 which you have to go down to 800x600 :( This to me is a big issue but to somebody who doesn't play PC games then you probably won't care about this.
    Fan noise and the Hitachi is quieter than Sony.

With Regards to build I much prefer the TX100 to HS20 and the lens array on TX100 looks like it was really thought about when it was designed. Its noticably sharper, perhaps too sharp for movies at times and has MUCH better panel convergence than the HS20.

Above all the TX100 is nearly £500 cheaper than Sony :)

All in all both machines have there good points and I'd find it very hard to separate them purely on picture, so you really have to look at what matters to you. In the end I think the Sony HS20 command another £500 because of its panel resolution and thats all it offers over the TX100.

10. Gorshin

Gorshin
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    5 good reasons then to buy the Hitachi :smoke:

£500 less than the hs20!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! etc :zonked:

11. Gorshin

Gorshin
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Would like to see this v infocus 4805

12. Gorshin

Gorshin
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
  13. ShinObiWAN

ShinObiWAN
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Those screenshots look like he's got the blue way up compared to what I'm using.

Could be the camera though.

Also those screenshots only give a small glimpse into the quality that is available from TX100.

14. Gorshin

Gorshin
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Have you got any better screenshots? :zonked:

I'm amazed at the quality of these!!!!