1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Notice: AVForums will be offline at 10pm for no longer than 30 minutes for scheduled maintenance. Apologies for any inconvenience this causes.
    Dismiss Notice

So... the Panny has landed.....

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by pinda, Mar 13, 2002.

1. pinda

pinda

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ...Well for the lucky few....;)
    Having sustained 4~ weeks of karma..:rolleyes: yeah right..i mean drama...My minds gone blank! Let's have some thoughts on the best connection..want it fresh in my head so i can make some decsion's tommorrow when i get mine...I know there's a lot on the forum about this..but there must be some new thoughts and tips from panny owners..
    O.k i have a lescon 900 dvd..RGB scart, S-vid & last and least composite.
    I understand the RGB i the best choice? But how do you go about connecting to the AE100? Yes i don't have componet..Maybe a new dvd player?
    If anyone can recommend a PC great! But i'll have to buy a dvd rom and correct me if i'm wrong ..a better graphics Card? Not interested if it's going to cost too much money...Need it for the screen.
    Thanks in advance.. Pin ;)

2. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    Look's like you need an Svideo cable for your dvd player to the Panny, you cannot connect the rgb scart on your player to the Projector.

To go the HTPC route you will need.

1, multi region dvd drive
    2, Radeo graphics card 7200 or above.
    3, 5.1 sound card
    4, vga cable.
    5, software player.
    6, powerstrip.
    7, 256mb ram
    And maybe upgrade your motherboard and proccessor depending on what you have allready.

I have none of the above, but would like to upgrade one day and give it a go.

3. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    Just to add.

I found s-video ok, but on some panning shots you can get the chicken wire effect, I now run componant interlaced and the chicken wire effect has totally fanished :)
    There seems to be plenty of budget dvd players out there now which have componant out.

4. pinda

pinda

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers mate..Thank god i ordered a S-vid lead from media factory..I assume the new lescon is componet interlaced? What's this i hear about splitting the rgb signal into three signals via a converter box? Is it worth ot or should i just buy a new dvd player? Cheers!

5. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    I would go for a new dvd player.
    I have the Lecson dvd-1000 progressive scan, but it has some issues with progressive playback, if you hold back a while it may get soughted out, it would then be a good player for you to go for, it really is a big jump in picture quality with progressive scan, I wonder how good it could look with one of the top progressive players.
    I dont know about the rgb splitter, maybe someone else could comment.

www.rgbtosvideo.co.uk are soon to be releasing a rgb/componant convertor for about £140 you could go for one of these, but you can get a new player for £100 with componant out.

6. Bonesy

Bonesy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    media factory are sorting me out.

My purchase will likely be denon 2800, which I'll mod myself with the firmware upgrade to do ntsc and pal prog scan via component. cheapest I can find it is £588 delivered.

If I don't like the picture, it will be a KeyDigital transcoder and filter to improve it, although doubt it is needed.

Now I need to figure out whether xbox or gamecube will be prog scan.

Good luck.

7. pinda

pinda

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks tim..you know it makes sense..i'll wait..;) I'll be curious to find out what a top end prog dvd player would perform like...maybe not much different.i mean.. i remember when the 1st lescon came out.i compared the dvd pic quality with that of a more expensive player....& i couldn't really tell much difference...Let's hope there is a difference this time...it'd be interesting to imagine a better prog pic cos it sounds like your dvd player is good already..
    Have you seen starwars trilogy on video yet? Or close encounters on dvd through the panny? Just interested..thx for your thoughts..:) PIn

8. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    Pinda

I do have SWTPM on dvd, I have yet to spin this one on my PJ, maybe soon.
    Close Encounters, emmm, I may have to go for this one soon, I'm sure it's £12.99 at play.
    I did watch Starship Troopers in svideo, it looked amazing.

9. pinda

pinda

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Last one b4 i get lost.....From what i hear about colour discrepancies being corrected via filters..you would wise to think that black and white films.i.e On the Waterfront would look amazing on the panny or any projector...what u think? :D

10. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    Pinda

No comment, I have yet to watch black & white on the Panny so far.

You just cost me £12.99 ;) Close Encounters on its way :)

11. pinda

pinda

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :devil: Nice one tim..you r now my friend ;) Wait for the 2 shivers down your spine"scenes The ufo cop chase & The first time r.dreyfus & partner climb a bank and see the devil's tower! Got the shivers now :D
    Did i mention Jaws yet?:) Opps!

12. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    Jaw's no no no , I saw this in the seventy's, the first time round, thoght it was ok. Sorry, I think it's a bit naff now.
    I wont be buying that one.

13. nickhh

nickhh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I've had my panny for two weeks now and I think the picture from my PC with a Matrox G400 graphics card is awsome this is with an 80" Da-Lite model B screen and sat about 10feet from it and just de-focusing a little to get rid of screen door.

The picture from my sony CX850D via S-video is just awful, very grainy and its got to go, anyone want to buy it?. In fact the S-video picture from my Humax satellite receiver appears better so maybe its just the Sonys S-video that sucks.

I have not tried component yet as I don't have a suitable player, but I have ordered a Nintaus player and it looks like quite a wait before I'm going to get it.

Nick

14. codling

codling

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    please let mine touchdown tomorrow,

:D

15. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    Let's all cross our finger's :) I hope I can update my owners list this weekend.

16. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,027
    as for the console comment.

UK Gamecube won't support progressive output. The US one has progressive support if you hold down a button when you start up. But the UK one uses that button to select 60Hz mode.

If you wait a little while you'll find out if the US one can be modded to run UK software - JPN/US was pretty easy, so you never know. Alternatively you can just import US software - not really that expensive.

Xbox is unknown at the mo. There have been conflicting reports on progressive support. Maybe museumsteve could run a few of the UK games through a UK xbox with the US hi-def pack and put us all out of our misery :)

And you can also get a US xbox if you want progressive. Museumsteve would also be the guy to tell you whether the progressive part is a big increase in quality. But I'd say that it was, because you are getting twice the detail (640x480 x 60Hz, compared to 640x240 x 60Hz = 640x480 x30Hz - TV refresh).

17. gavan

gavan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +286
    You aren't getting twice the detail - the resolution is exactly the same in either case (640x480). With a 'true' 60fps the games framerates should look somewhat smoother though.

Gav

18. benwi

benwi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just recieved an e-mail telling me that the delivery of my Panasonic PT-AE100 has been delayed. :(

They say it will be delivered next week instead.

Aaaaah!!!! I want it now!!!! :mad:

19. pinda

pinda

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    disgusting... :( ..Pls don't jinx this thread!! I'm expecting mine today :D

20. delta

delta
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sound & Vision, Bolton, now have some Panasonic PT AE100 in stock.

21. codling

codling

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    just been onto my supplier again.said they havnt recieved them as yet:rolleyes: .

this worries me,seems most dealers have.
    i think ill give them till saturday and try to get one from somewhere else,b4 i miss out again :( i tink i better be quick!

cod

22. gwbailey

gwbailey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Funny that...I phoned them last Monday and they said they've not got any,not getting any, and never even heard of it!!!!

23. delta

delta
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I discussed the AE100 with them a month ago and they phoned today to say four had just arrived in stock! Phone again and ask for George Devenish

24. gwbailey

gwbailey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Will do...

Cheers!

25. delta

delta
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    They're open until 8.00 tonight

26. Paul D

Paul D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +391
    Thats the trouble with Sound and Vision "Bolton".
    Depending who you talk to, you get a different reply/answer.

The reason i add "Bolton", as there are over 18 other S&V's around the country - not connected/related etc.

I spoke with Chris and Simon over a month ago, and "advised" them to
    order the stock that has just arrived. I explained to them the interest this PJ was generating.

They spoke their Panasonic rep, then ordered these units while i waited on the phone. I declined their offer of reserving one, as i wanted an unbiased opinion/demo before buying one!.

Although they couldn't give me an exact price, they estimated about £1299 inc vat. If anybody bought today, how much are they charging?.

I better be quick!.:D

27. Moto

Moto

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would be of the same opinion relating to Sound and Vision, i called in a couple of months ago when i was starting to look around for projectors. George was very helpful and showed me a couple of them. I asked if they had heard / getting any of the panasonics in to which they replied no.

I didn't buy anything then due to wanting to see this panasonic, managed to get a viewing of Panasonic (thanks Anim) and decided that was the projector for me. Phone S & V again after someone on the forum said they were getting some in. Again the person on the other end said nope not getting any.

O well they lost out on a sale. But still would go back there, nice bunch of lads just don't be pushed into a sale, think then think again.

Regards

Andy

28. delta

delta
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A number of dealers, other than S&V had not heard anything about the Panasonic AE100 when I rang around abut three weeks ago. S&V were told by Panasonic, (as were many other dealers), that stock would be in two weeks ago. As we now know stock was not received until yesterday when the latest batch was shared out around the country. Anyone contemplating buying one of these projectors had better move quickly unless they are happy to wait for the next consignment.

29. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    Dave

Are you going to buy one then?

Tim

30. delta

delta
    Banned