1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So the New I-Pod Killer is falling apart

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by gerbilly, May 27, 2005.

1. gerbilly

gerbilly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    Now there is a surprise Sony producing shoddy products. ;)

2. wilto

wilto
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    well it aint so bad....performance is really good just some of the buttons crack a bit!

yeah i see a massive recall coming up shortly.

3. gerbilly

gerbilly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    Also the screen doesnt rotate even after all of their advertising stating it does. :eek:
    This is why the pod is the best seller apart for fashion reasons, they are just so easy to work with, very well made and the software is so easy to use. :smashin:

4. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,239
    turns out the screen only goes horizontal when u switch it on holding HD5 horizontally. likewise, only vertical when u switch it on holding HD5 vertically. dodgy advertising :rolleyes: like when they had Atrac only HD1, and said it was MP3 compatible - yeh after conversion! but 6 months between each new Sony HD DAP suggests Sony are listening to criticisms and acting. To the dismay to those who just paid £200 for the old one......

5. watchinthewheel

watchinthewheel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the hd5 looks rubbish, seems to have low build quality and generaly sucks, man am i glad i didnt trade my hd3 in for one. i love the hd3 i think thats an ipod killer but not the hd5.

6. Kaledii

Kaledii

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I'm no big Sony fan, but one thing that cannot be directed at Sony is an accusation they produce products of a low build quality. I have and do own several Sony products and the build and engineering is second to none. Still think that many products are overpriced compared to the competition (e.g. plasmas) but thats another story.

7. mick's cat

mick's cat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So, going at this rate, 6 months between models and odd numbers for each derivative, the NW-HD13 in 2007 should be the equivalent of today's iPods then... ;)

8. watchinthewheel

watchinthewheel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i love apple fanboys basic argument:

apple fanboy:the hd's suck and the ipod rules

normal person:ehhh why?

apple fanboy:they just do, my ipod kicks sonys ass

normal person: again WHY.

apple fanboy:ehhhhhh its white and looks cool

normal person: :suicide: thanks for that

9. mick's cat

mick's cat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    See the smiley: ;) ? It was a bit of humour.

Haven't you heard of humour? It's a pity the Sony fan boys haven't got a sense of one, isn't it? It turned out to be not humour, but irony. I'm sorry I hurt your feelings.

10. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,239
    I'd agree if you was talking about CD walkmans - mp3/atrac or just normal audio CD ones. Not with the HD walkman range. Some will know what I mean :)

11. Kaledii

Kaledii

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Actually read a very interesting (and long) interview with the Sony Walkman marketing honchos and one of the things they said was that they now do indeed refresh products every 6 months. In the old days it was every 12 months. The reason they are having to refresh so often is because it has become so easy to manufacture MP3 players and loads of Chinese and Taiwanese companies are doing it for next to nothing cost by immitating your Sonys etc. So for Sony to stay ahead of the game (and actually make some money on the gear) and to differentiate themselves from these low cost manufacturers they are having to release new models twice a year.

12. mick's cat

mick's cat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, I can believe it. Of course Sony is not alone. The other two major players in the market, Apple and Creative have an equally short design cycle with their DAPs. In some respects, this is good, in that innovation is guaranteed. In other respects, this is bad news for buyers, as whatever we buy is out-of-date within weeks.

Personally though, I'd buy a product from one of the major companies every time, rather than a cheapo copy. Other things have to come into the mix - quality, and after-sales service, say. Cheap DAPs have neither.

13. watchinthewheel

watchinthewheel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    mine was a joke too lol i know not all apple fanboys are that dumb, and that there are some great things about the ipod, im jsut sick of peaple arguing like that.

14. mick's cat

mick's cat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Again: I'm sorry I hurt your feelings.

15. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,239
    lets change the title of this thread to apparent I-Pod killer ;)

P.S. is a joke ;)

16. Alcahest

Alcahest
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As long as Sony uses SonicStage, they'll never have an Ipod killer imho.
    Later,

Alcahest

17. dzysheep

dzysheep
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i think the hd5 still stands a good chance of being an ipod killer

size wise it kills the ipod easily

build quality is better than the ipod (except for the much feared cracks - figers crossed taht mine one dont develop any ), but i am sure a new revision would fix that problem. i have previously owned ipods 3-4 gen and now have an ipod mini.

sure the hd5 is not very popular atm, but think about how long it took the ipods to become popular. i remember when i first got mine g3 ipod, there were hardly anyone using it despite the fact that it was the best HD based mp3 out there. the introduction of the ipod mini was the tipping point for apple.

similar thing can happen with sony. atm, they have a very solid product but the market is overly loyal to apple. but if sony is able to continue to release good quality products (such as the HD5) they would be a dominant player sooner or later

18. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,310
    :clap: So true...

My HD5's buttons haven't cracked up (yet!). Even if it DID have cracked buttons - it would still be a quantum leap over the poor, brash, tinny sound quality of the iPod. Let's not forget, the iPod quickly stops looking so good (and IMO it doesn't look great to start with) once it gets all scratched up.

19. HMHB

HMHB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,957
    Personally, I always hope that new models from different suppliers are a success, as that would force every other manufacturer to give us something better for the next model (with a bit of luck!!)

20. floppydonkey

floppydonkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Has anyone thougtht why about the main reason of why you bought these players? SOUND QUALITY? The ipod is a disaster when it comes to sound, i use a pair of bose triports and have a HD-5, the adjustments and quality is bang on. i dont think you can get better sound from the mp3 format. My brother has a 4G pod and i thought the sound was flat, and the "EQ" made little or no difference. My MP3 player in my mobile phone is better! But I'm not biased ;) If the buttons break, i'd say thats a manufacturer fault, and it'll be going back if it does.

21. HMHB

HMHB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,957
    I would strongly disagree with that statement !

22. Tomfoolery

Tomfoolery

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10

Eh? The main reason you bought yours was for sound quality? What about the music itself? You can have great sound quality, but that doesn't mean much without being able to access music (which IS the main reason we buy these players) easily and quickly using either great, or no software. Sure, sound quality is a factor in deciding on mp3 players, but it is - in my opinion - a factor that comes behind usability. HiFi quality, for me, is only really necessary in my house, not on the move.

In regards to other points about "apple fanboys" in this thread, I have an ipod photo, I bought it for ease of use. Itunes has to be the best piece of music software I've ever used (even if it is a little resource hungry). However, I bought a black case, and use black earphones to reduce the chances of getting mugged or something. Not everyone who buys an ipod is a poser.

I'd rather have an easy to use mp3 player causing me no hassle, than have to deal with Sony's software just so I don't have to worry about what people might think of me having an ipod. The "cool to be uncool" attitude of some people buying mp3 players drives me mad.

23. johann1979

johann1979
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Apart from a non-existant battery life, my biggest problem (thus the reason for currently owning the Vaio Pocket) I can't help but feel that iPods are extremely common.

They are no longer the exclusive designer mp3 players raved about in lads mags. It has turned into a very standard and boring everyday accessory and for that reason I think the HD5, along with the fabulously long battery life is the *new* iPod...(hopefully the buttons issue will be resolved and even more hopefully the problem is confined to the units with silver buttons (how selfish of me!) as the HD5HS will have black ones...

24. johann1979

johann1979
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well Tomfoolery, people have different priorities. I don't have a big stereo at home so my music always lives in my pocket and goes with me everywhere I go. For that reason the design and feel of the player is as important as the functionality and sound quality - something that (once again, apart from the button issue) looked promising with the release of the HD5.

To be honest I don't understand how iPod can get away with the use of 5 year old technology in their iPod Photo. The screen is really tiny and looks quite grainy and only has 65, 000 colours, compared to say Sony's Vaio Pocket which has 250,000.

You have to understand that if status or design wasn't attached to basically any products you can think of, big names such as Bang & Olufson, or even the brands at the higher end of consumer electronics would not shift a single unit because people would not care what their players looked like and would be happy with a brick from Creative.

25. gerbilly

gerbilly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94

Are you for real?

I use Sennheiser PX100 and M500 in ear phones and the sound quality with my pod is excellent (I have listened to a HD3). Sound quality is all due to personal taste and when I picked the pod the only other I thought sounded as good was the I-River player. However when it comes to use of software, build quality, design then the i-pod is in a different stratosphere from Sony. This is why they keep bringing out a different player every couple of months. I dont understand how you can stay loyal to a company who brings out a new player a few months after you bought the previous one and reduces the price of your one substantially.
    Pod owners know there wont be much change in their range and the prices will not change much.
    Just look at all of the threads here and count how many are having problems with their sony players, compared to Apple, Creative , I-River etc.

26. Tomfoolery

Tomfoolery

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I agree. I accept that to some people sound quality is more important than ease of use - and that's why there is more than one product on the market. I just thought it was a little silly of someone to say the REASON we buy mp3 players is for the sound quality.

For the record, I haven't noticed the supposed poor quality of the ipod. I previously had an iriver 140, which as far as I know, was noted for its good sound quality. Using the same Sennheiser earphones on both, I did not notice a difference. However, I tend to use my mp3 player in areas with large amounts of background noise (roads...trains...), which might also explain my stance on the sound quality issue.

I've found the ipod photo screen to be prefectly adequate. On a screen of that size, 65,000 colours to me is plenty. Also, the screen is plenty big enough for an mp3 player.

To be honest, I think it's going to be hard for an "Ipod Killer" to emerge now. Whether or not apple deserve the success of the ipod is never going to be a topic that everyone will agree on. However, the ipod seems to do everything the mass market could possibily want from an mp3 player without adding "features" that actually make it more difficult to use. Apple have also now priced it at a fair price point, and marketed it in a way that a lot of people don't even know competitors exist. People will need a pretty big reason to suddenly decide ipod is not for them, and I don't quite think rotating screens will be it.

Sony would probably be better to not try and compete with the ipod, but to instead market their products at a different group of people, advertising aspects such as sound quality (if you all insist it is better, I haven't heard one) instead of the gimmicky features they seem to be concentrating on. The information I've heard about the price of their remote control in UK shops will also not appeal to the mass market.

To me, it seems they're concentrating on all the wrong things, while those that WOULD make it an ipod beater (software, remote, quality, advertising the comparison of battery life to other products) are so obvious and easy to achieve.

27. johann1979

johann1979
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A 40 hour battery life perhaps? That is 4 times the amount of an iPod (Photo at least...) In all fairness I don't think one single customer bought the HD5 simply for the 'follow-turn' display - it is simply much smaller than the iPod, has a much longer battery life, arguably has better sound quality and costs £9 cheaper than the iPod of the same size. Oh and then of course, the number one selling point -> *REMOVABLE* battery, no questionable business ethics where huge corporations are charging you another £100 2 years down the line just to keep your pod alive.

There is a whole bunch of reasons why staff in electronic stores might offer the Sony HD5 as a real alternative to the iPod to prospective customers.

Oh and apart from SonicStage which is totally demonic, the actual player is simplicity itself to use...

28. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,310
    The really poor sound quality was the reason for me. Then again you're probably right when you say most people don't care about the sound quality seeing as most people use the headphones that come in the box.

29. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,239
    I think most people who get a Sony DAP is due to the small size + awesome batt life. They also don't care for an address book + solitaire. But what the click wheel + iTunes do, they do it well.

HD1/2, HD3, HD5. Wonder how many more revisions before Sony get it perfect?

30. watchinthewheel

watchinthewheel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    havent apple actualy announced they are going to cut their production cycle to 6 months too to stay ahead of the game as with sony? im sure they have so you cant really have a go at either of them for trying to do that and improving each time can only be good.