1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So so happy :)

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by hi_robb, Nov 12, 2004.

1. hi_robb

hi_robb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Lo there folks,

I'm a happy bunny musically. I had a pioneer ax3i which while great for films was a bit lacking in the musical department, it sounded very clear but flat and was missing soul and life and basically the most important bit of music, it had no tune.

I swapped it last night for an Arcam AVr200 and bloody hell the difference is like night and day. The Arcam is so musical, partnered with my dv89 and I honestly cannot stop smilling at the mo. It sounds so much more musical compared to the pioneer.

The pioneer did sound slightly clearer, you could hear every single instrument on it but it never sounded like one peice of music. the Avr200 just has a lovely warmth to it.

I cannot believe how basic the setup menus are though, with the pioneer you could adjust just about everything, the avr200 is a hell of a lot more basic, but that's not necesseraly a bad thing.

the pioneer in fairness was better for film, but as music is my thing tis a small sacrafice :)

A couple of questions for the Arcam guys though whie I think on them. What's the crossover on the amp, is it 100hz? if so my kef eggs go to 80hz so should I set speakers as large (currently at small), and I have hiss on the front 2 channels which while I can only hear it if I'm right next to the speaker when nothing is playing does bother me. What is causing it? Tis not cables etc as I'm using the same as I had with the pioneer and that had no hiss when there was silence.

This hiss does manfiest in between gaps on cd tracks and on every input.

Apart from those little niggles it sounds fantastic.

If only I had the money to buy a avr300, I can only dream.

dave

2. RaceTripper

RaceTripper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    If your eggs only down to 80 HZ, definitely set them to Small in AVR200 setup, so that your sub can handle LF for your speakers.

My center and surround speakers go down to 45 Hz but I still set them to small to let the sub handle the low bass duties. I only keep my mains set to large, but they go down to 28 Hz.

3. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    I've found the 200 to be a funny beast in the bass management stakes.

It'd be nice to know the true xover point preset value.

4. andy_pandy

andy_pandy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dave,
    Regarding your hiss on the 'Eggs'.....I've had a similar thing too but all fixed now. If your getting any noise from your sub and you have the original set of 'Eggs' there is a replacement circuit board available for the sub which my dealer fit for free (should only be about £30) which stopped it completely and also boosted the bass response and sounds so much better.

As for the 'Egg' noise I was advised to ensure the whole system is earthed at the same level - ie, all conected to the same socket - and use filters on the sockets. I bought a Belkin 8 way adapter which filters out electrical noise (about £20-30 from Argos/Currys) which made a huge dufference. As I now have a Rotel power amp and proceser the amp goes into a single filter (a Belkin Surgemaster) on one socket on it's own (as it uses 1000W) and everything else goes into the adapter....both are on the same twin socket in the wall so the earth is identical. All sorted and sounds fantastic.... :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Hope this helps,
    Andy.