So now we know, a Mercedes SUV puts you firmly in the Chav with money class

I never read anything posted on here, Facebook etc that links to the Daily Fail. Obnoxious rag.

The mail should do a bit of self assessment.

I think LGS should :)

Is this the same Daily Mail that LGS professes to despise and "would never read"?.

:facepalm:

So what it's a Mail article? If the article is interesting who cares - discounting any political agenda of course!

Read the article and thought I'd stepped back to the 1960s. The list is attempting to slot people into an old-fashioned ready-made class system.

These days a 'working class' person can readily slip into the 'upper class' slot by being successful in life, making lots of money and becoming a 'Sir' or 'Lord'. Similarly, an upper crust type can fall from grace and end up living off handouts.

These days the boundaries between the 'classes' are very blurred; almost non-existent.

my neighbour opposite has one of those Merc SUVs.Is she a Chav? Not sure although her husbands is white van man and definitely "trade"

Self-advertising non-inspirational website which uses a random word generator. o_O

I think you have just summed up the Daily Mail and it's readership perfectly :)

my neighbour opposite has one of those Merc SUVs.Is she a Chav? Not sure although her husbands is white van man and definitely "trade"

Is this a wind up?
How on earth could we possibly know? :facepalm:

Why don't you make one of your famous judgementally dismissive statements based on your "feelings"? ;)

IronGtherepost: 20600542 said:
Is this a wind up?
How on earth could we possibly know? :facepalm:

Why don't you make one of your famous judgementally dismissive statements based on your "feelings"? ;)
He's getting there, give him time.

So what it's a Mail article? If the article is interesting who cares - discounting any political agenda of course!

Read the article and thought I'd stepped back to the 1960s. The list is attempting to slot people into an old-fashioned ready-made class system.

These days a 'working class' person can readily slip into the 'upper class' slot by being successful in life, making lots of money and becoming a 'Sir' or 'Lord'. Similarly, an upper crust type can fall from grace and end up living off handouts.

These days the boundaries between the 'classes' are very blurred; almost non-existent.
money and "success" have very little to do with it .Its about breeding, knowing the right etiquette and being well mannered, oh and understanding the right name and pronunciation of certain things such as place names.
You can take a man out of the gutter but you cant take the gutter out of the man, which is why self made men who rise from humble origins are never quite accepted.They are what Julian Critchley would have called arrivistes and garigistes.
Of course there are the nouveau pauvre as well like the famous Fulfords who still live on their Estate despite not being able to afford to run it. They still remain a class apart from the rest of us .No such blurring with them

Last edited:
I think you have just summed up the Daily Mail and it's readership perfectly :)

Someone's got their sums right. :)

However, the fact is the Mail's popularity is in direct proportion to it's readership, as it were. The number of times it is linked in posts indicates it touches the nerve, in some cases the jugular vein.

Right or wrong, the Mail has a tendency to publish stuff other newspapers stay clear of.

money and "success" have very little to do with it .Its about breeding, knowing the right etiquette and being well mannered, oh and understanding the right name and pronunciation of certain things such as place names.
You can take a man out of the gutter but you cant take the gutter out of the man which is why Alan Sugar will always be a barrow boy in the minds of some, despite his title.He is what Julian Critchley would have called an arriviste and garigiste even though he never sold second hand cars
Of course there are the nouveau pauvre as well like the famous Fulfords who still live on their Estate despite not being able to afford to run it. They still remain a class apart from the rest of us .No such blurring with them

You don't actually agree with that list of class rubbish the Mail published do you?

Of course he doesn't: it's a classic LGS "let's wind up the membership because I'm bored" thread. AKA trolling.

At least, that's the lesser of two possible evils :)

You don't actually agree with that list of class rubbish the Mail published do you?
no of course not, but i do know there are people out there who do and who are very particular about the words they use to describe things such as loo or lavatory instead of toilet etc

the article itself is meant to be tongue in cheek ,anyway

Last edited:
Of course he doesn't: it's a classic LGS "let's wind up the membership because I'm bored" thread. AKA trolling.

At least, that's the lesser of two possible evils :)

It's the bank holiday weekend IG - there might be a few bored members about!

At least give him some rope or latitude.

Er... Where is the text cross-out option on the list? I can't find it!

Next to the floppy disk icon is a "page of text" icon click on that and you get the
strike through
LGS has run out of rope ;)
and
options

Next to the floppy disk icon is a "page of text" icon click on that and you get the strike through
spoiler
and options

No - I get 'Undo' and 'Redo' after the floppy disk icon. Ah... Found it!!

Funny thing is, most of the well off people I know (no, make that ALL of the well off people I know) are pretty, what I would call low class.

Very ape like. Sure they are clever at remembering things, may have good parents (often a key) but themselves are pretty poor examples of the human animal.

Money and class, I've always said have nothing to do with each other at all.

Funny thing is, most of the well off people I know (no, make that ALL of the well off people I know) are pretty, what I would call low class.

Very ape like. Sure they are clever at remembering things, may have good parents (often a key) but themselves are pretty poor examples of the human animal.

Money and class, I've always said have nothing to do with each other at all.
Yep, take LGS as an example, several properties, self employed 'raking' in the readies.........................................................................but his class is very questionable.;);)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom