So near and yet so far - almost a PX60 owner today

Loobster

Established Member
Reaction score
The missus almost talked me into getting a PX60 today (that's right, talked INTO!) - they had just the setup I wanted in Currys, a PX60 showing an SD broadcast transmission (I watch mostly SD TV) - and it looked acceptable (but not as good as my Sony CRT). I know it looks good with HD as I've seen that setup elsewhere.

They had 4 left at £899, I work for DSG so I get 10% making it £810 and I could have taken it home. I got as far as the till, then they tell me that it must be transported vertically and it won't fit in my car - that will be £20 for delivery please sir.

I was on the borderline as it was, as £800 is at the top edge of what I can spend on a new TV right now - so I bottled it.

I know you are all going to say that £830 delivered is excellent for this unit - but I just couldn't do it.

Also I want to wall mount it really and so would have needed to spend on a wall mount at some point - although I see that I can get this unit with a wall mount and delivered for £840 online.

While window shopping today I did see some surprisingly good Samsung LCDs about the same price but they all had a HD feed so there's no way to tell how good they were with SD material (probably rubbish).

I can't help feeling that I should have bitten the bullet - but I have to be happy with my purchase.

Why didn't you force them to give free delivery, or let your wife use some of her charm? Just force them to give free delivery, say bla bla bla to them.

Good luck.

I work for DSG in Currys and it cost more to get the TVs into the store (for the stores profit figures) than it does to deliver even if it is free.

Went to John Lewis today and looked at a PX60 showing a Blue Ray movie and freeview. Am I missing something here? - the picture was very poor. I asked the salesman about it and he said basically thats as good as it gets.

I wonder if I have ever seen one set up correctly or whether it is all hype.

I doubt you've ever seen one setup correctly, if you've only seen them in shops.
I'm contemplating a new telly, but from what I've read, the 60 won't be the one.
Just my opinion from what I've read on here.

Don't know about "bitten the bullet", should be SHOT with the bullet IMO.......

....... just kiddin' mate :D

Can't help laughin' though, compare you're scenario to mine then. Quite the opposite to you.... 8 months ago "I" had to talk the missus into letting me buy it for starters. Price was exactly double what you'd be paying, £1630 screen only with no ped, no cab etc!!!!
Viewed the screen in 4 different outlets before purchase. In 3 of these the pq was awful, in 1 it was great. Glad i listened to the advice on the forum about not judging anything on shop feeds cos when i set it up at home it was fantastic, nothing like the pq i'd seen "in store" (especially not Currys!!) and easily better than the 28" Sony Wega it replaced.
Now with Sky HD it's better than i ever could've imagined.

Personally, given the price i paid and after the 8 months of fault free viewing i'm still glad i bit the bullet and am still extremely happy with my purchase.

I doubt you've ever seen one setup correctly, if you've only seen them in shops.
I'm contemplating a new telly, but from what I've read, the 60 won't be the one.
Just my opinion from what I've read on here.

I hope I haven't but shouldn't the picture have been good with a blue ray player? I think the player being used was £1295 so I was looking at nearly £2500 worth of kit.

Went to John Lewis today and looked at a PX60 showing a Blue Ray movie and freeview. Am I missing something here? - the picture was very poor. I asked the salesman about it and he said basically thats as good as it gets.

I wonder if I have ever seen one set up correctly or whether it is all hype.

perhaps you was looking at the back of the tv....did you see cables and stuff?:D

either that or you need to go to specsavers

i can hardly see a px60 with blu-ray dvd looking 'very poor'

probably had a composite connection and an idiot sales person not knowing his arse from his elbow!

perhaps you was looking at the back of the tv....did you see cables and stuff?:D

either that or you need to go to specsavers

i can hardly see a px60 with blu-ray dvd looking 'very poor'

probably had a composite connection and an idiot sales person not knowing his arse from his elbow!

It was connected using an HDMI cable. The picture in all honesty wasn't very good.

I hope I haven't but shouldn't the picture have been good with a blue ray player? I think the player being used was £1295 so I was looking at nearly £2500 worth of kit.

Yes it should, simple.
Although I'd suggest you have another look, get the remote and turn the brightness and contrast down. You'll never get a decent pic in a store.

My point was not about the PQ, more that Panasonic seem to have got worse with every model they have brought out.
I'm going from what I read on this forum, which is real life people and no hype.
The best model was the PWD6, no-one had a bad word for it and it's not even HD.
Going off opinion on this forum, I'd sum it up like this:
Panny are getting worse (purple snakes?)
Pio have been noted for screenburn (536xde, I think) which is inexcuseable, IMO and an incompatibility issue with HDCP over HDMI.

I guess what I'm saying is read, big time.
There are a lot of Panny fanboys on here :rolleyes:
There are a lot of things to take into consideration, cables etc.
(Ducks, ready for the incoming)

:rolleyes:

then there must have been something wrong somewhere.....back me up someone:smashin:

I will mate :smashin:

Can't speak for blu ray but as far as HD goes i've had Sky HD since launch and in that time probably 16-20 people have seen it displayed on my 42 PX60 and the reaction of all but one has been an extremely positive "WOW".

The only person who didn't get ever so slightly excited was my father in law, a man who'd make Victor Meldrew seem like the life and soul of any party.

I agree, if it really was connected properly to a blu ray source it should look pretty decent. Sounds abit fishy to me anyway...... JL get a brand new £1200+ blu ray player in and the salesman, who if i remember correctly from a post a long time ago by Inked (who works for JL) gets some sort of bonus/commission says that's as good as it gets!!! Hmmmm!

cheers for that S17ELLY.

I waiting to move into my new house and get one of these bad boys delivered, and for the price i dont think there is a tv out there that can match it!

I guess what I'm saying is read, big time.
There are a lot of Panny fanboys on here :rolleyes:
There are a lot of things to take into consideration, cables etc.
(Ducks, ready for the incoming)

:rolleyes:

LOL, no need to duck when offering advice as good as that :thumbsup:

Don't know about "bitten the bullet", should be SHOT with the bullet IMO.......

....... just kiddin' mate :D

Can't help laughin' though, compare you're scenario to mine then. Quite the opposite to you.... 8 months ago "I" had to talk the missus into letting me buy it for starters. Price was exactly double what you'd be paying, £1630 screen only with no ped, no cab etc!!!!
Viewed the screen in 4 different outlets before purchase. In 3 of these the pq was awful, in 1 it was great. Glad i listened to the advice on the forum about not judging anything on shop feeds cos when i set it up at home it was fantastic, nothing like the pq i'd seen "in store" (especially not Currys!!) and easily better than the 28" Sony Wega it replaced.
Now with Sky HD it's better than i ever could've imagined.

Personally, given the price i paid and after the 8 months of fault free viewing i'm still glad i bit the bullet and am still extremely happy with my purchase.

That's actually a very helpful post - thanks. My current TV is also a 28" Sony Wega.

I'm still undecided about the unit though. I do realise it's probably going to be a while until a better offer comes along.

I agree, if it really was connected properly to a blu ray source it should look pretty decent. Sounds abit fishy to me anyway...... JL get a brand new £1200+ blu ray player in and the salesman, who if i remember correctly from a post a long time ago by Inked (who works for JL) gets some sort of bonus/commission says that's as good as it gets!!! Hmmmm!

Sounds like that partner needs some re-training in,
A) Setting up TVs so that they at least look as good as possible within the store (not that this will give any sort of real indication of how good some of the TVs can look due to the lighting conditions in a lot of our branches)
&
B) How to sell!!! I don't think I'd be best pleased if I heard any of our partners flippantly telling a customer "thats as good as it gets" :suicide:

Would have bought a 37" PX60 from Kingston today if they hadn't sold out.

Now that I've failed I'm reassessing whether getting a 42" PH9 panel wouldn't be a better idea. The PX60 just seemed too much of a bargain to pass on at the time though.

Sounds like that partner needs some re-training in,
A) Setting up TVs so that they at least look as good as possible within the store (not that this will give any sort of real indication of how good some of the TVs can look due to the lighting conditions in a lot of our branches)
&
B) How to sell!!! I don't think I'd be best pleased if I heard any of our partners flippantly telling a customer "thats as good as it gets" :suicide:

Hey nice one Inked, and quick, d'you get an alert if your names mentioned or something???? :D

Dont recall reading any posts by you recently, must mean no sign of purple snakes on that 600 of yours then?

Hey nice one Inked, and quick, d'you get an alert if your names mentioned or something???? :D

Dont recall reading any posts by you recently, must mean no sign of purple snakes on that 600 of yours then?

:rotfl: Just got in from dinner at the in-laws and thought i'd check out the forums.
I have indeed had some minor instances with the dreaded purple snakes on my panny, so far I have seen them on Training Day (Blu-ray), Harry Potter GOF (HD-DVD) and on some standard sky channels.

Had them to some extent on my PX60 before I sold it but had only ever noticed them up close on peoples faces and never from my seated position, I only really notice them now as I am constantly looking for them since reading through the thread on the matter.

I've decided to see if there is a fix or if they get any worse before contacting our repair agent at JL. (The beauty of the 5 year warranty means I can put up with it for now, and so far every other TV I've seen has its own quirks)

It might have been in dynamic mode, which has awfully hight brightness, contast colour and sharpness. Totally ruins the picture,

Possibly. Is there any thread showing a decent picture with this TV?

I'm going from what I read on this forum, which is real life people and no hype.
The best model was the PWD6, no-one had a bad word for it and it's not even HD.

The PX60 is a whole lot better than the PWD6, it's just that people now demand more.

Going off opinion on this forum, I'd sum it up like this:
Panny are getting worse (purple snakes?)

No snakes here on my px60 however build quality sometimes suffer as production volume increases, a few years ago plasma screen was so expensive that only a handful of people could afford them, hence production numbers were low and labor intensive, however there was plenty of time (AND NEED) to control and adjust all sets manually. Panasonic is now pumping out millions of plasma screens every year, while due to this prices have droped it also means that them can't dedicate a large amount of time to test every single screen.

Possibly. Is there any thread showing a decent picture with this TV?

You'll never find one on here believe me. Most folk who attach screen shots on the forums appear to take 'em with mobile phones :rolleyes:
Those that do take pics with cameras seem to have little idea of how to expose properly for a screen. Couple that with the low res of what you can actually post and you'll never find a pic on here that'll do justice to the PQ.

Even with most of the glossy marketing literature the manufacturers produce the screens are often dropped in after ;)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom