1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So Much Negativity.

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Dirk_Diggler, Aug 17, 2005.

1. Dirk_Diggler

Dirk_Diggler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just reading some of these posts is enough to put you off buying a projector for life. People can be far too picky which therefore puts thoughts in our heads to look out for things that we would never have noticed before. It's driving me nuts!!! :rotfl:

2. mrapbp

mrapbp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +228
    There is a simple answer..........

Can you guess what it is??

3. Mark_a

Mark_a

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +498
    It's a curious human trait to want to herd. If you go and buy something different than mine then either I'm wrong, or you're wrong. I can't possibly be wrong, so I'll do my best to denigrate yours and promote mine. Can't have the unthinkable and run the risk of anyone else straying over to the other herd.

Both actually being right, for their own reasons, doesn't seem to occur to the vast majority of the human race. It's always 'them or us'.

Just the way of things, sadly.

Regards

Mark

4. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +941
    Dirk, if you do not already have a pj dont let any threads put you off it is worth it imo. The only thing i would recommend is that you demo a dlp to make sure that you are not prone to rainbows or eyestrain, apart from that go for it.

Make sure its definitely for you though as once you get a pj there is no going back :D :thumbsup:

5. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Plenty of "good" posts too, as in "I'm delighted with my new Z3, 7700, HS50" etc.

:smoke:

6. foghorn

foghorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Dirk,

Gone and the days of really poor projectors, all dedicated home cinema projectors even the entry level ones will produce very satisfactory results, if you have never owned one and you decide to take the plunge you will get an initial wow factor and wonder why you never bought one earlier.

After you have past the settling in period you will start to see small things that could be bettered with a more advanced projector. It is then that you will perhaps find yourself parting with your experiences and perhaps wholly unnecessary gripes on forums like these.

Remember one thing there is no perfect projector regardless of how much you spend on it, and there will always be one being released a few weeks later that will be better than the one you just bought.

One final thing I recently had the misfortune to watch Dogville starring Nicole Kidman, it would not have mattered whether I viewed on an £800 or £30,000 projector it was just a rotten film.

Hope its not to long to you join the club. :thumbsup:

Foghorn

7. Dirk_Diggler

Dirk_Diggler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got the Themescene H30A but feel as if i just sit at the moment and look for problems with the picture rather than sitting enjoying what i'm actually watching. Hopefully it'll pass.

8. Marty Williams

Marty Williams
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, I've got an old PTAE 100 and, inspite of the blacks being grey, I wouldn't swap it for a standard TV in a million years.

I LOVE the big picture and I can't wait to get my hands on the latest and best quality PJ I can.

Yes, there are many posts pointing out he negative aspects of the various machines but there are also folks enthusing about they're own machines and forcing me to look at options that I wouldn't usually consider.

9. Apollo11

Apollo11

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    One of the most sensible replies I've seen on these forums :thumbsup:

10. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +563
    Many of the issues people speak of are fringe issues which should not spoil enjoyment.

If I bought a modern PJ, especially the H30A which by all accounts is very capable, and was not wowed by the image I'd wondering whether the particular unit I had was faulty...PJ :)

11. DEANO-B

DEANO-B
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    There is always going to be negtativiy thrown into the equation when the main question asked is usually 'Which PJ to buy', especially when there are 2 competitive formats (DLP vs LCD). Each format now offers a fantastic picture quality compared to a few years ago but both do have their strengths and weaknesses. Myself personally if I was new to the PJ scene would like to hear the negative (and positive) comments about each format & model of projector before viewing as you can then have an informed opinion as to what to look out for, and to know if the PJ you are going to demo is set up correctly (its easy to view a PJ and not like it by simply having the wrong 'Picture Mode' selected). You will notice though that people don't post to say that they have bought a PJ but don't like them (everyone always seem happy with their purchase). At the end of the day it is an exciting time for us PJ owners with big screen fun for small amounts of cash!