1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So many Sony Posts

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Shady Deal, Feb 6, 2002.

1. Shady Deal

Shady Deal
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    The Sony threads are now growing to amazing lenghts and good luck to you all in getting replacements/refunds etc.

I had the 36 a few months ago and had terrible trouble trying to get it replaced.

It was not the dealers fault but Sony would NOT take the set back even though the tube had been condemed by a engineer. The dealer had to get the set repaired and they no longer stock Sony TV's!! I do believe that many of the Sony models in circulation are "used" due to Sony not accepting returns which may or may not explain some problems in the various threads.

I will never buy a Sony product again, when I spoke to them the had no idea of customer care i.e See your dealer not our problem..
    My dealer said they had "Quite a few" Sony sets that they would have to sell at a loss due to the non return policy.

I eventually was ok and was offered a large RP at a great deal due to the trouble, so there are some honest dealers about.

Good luck to all of you that have a Sony set and are happy with it, luck of the draw, but in my opinion, their quality control stinks these days, and command premiums that are just not warranted.

Sony used to be good, but I believe that is now fast becoming a myth.

My 2 cents...

Regards

2. Gerry

Gerry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Could not agree more. Do you remember a few years back the great buzz word with big companies was "Downsizing" which basically meant cutting back on labour costs and moving the manufacturing plant to China or the Ukraine. Well now we are seeing the results. Seems like sony's tv's are coming off a production line with less than enough quality control.

3. fwan

fwan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

My FQ was made in the UK, so are the rest sold in UK I assume. These are the ones giving problem. I don't know what quality control Sony has over here, compared to that in Japan. I think because they are manufactured here, Sony UK is trying cover their own arses on the FQ scrolling bar problem by their denials even though they are aware of this months and months ago. Two days ago I phoned their Customer service dept and they were surprised to hear the FQ had any problem ......."first we heard of this" and " not a known problem"........." go back to your dealers" ...... When is this going to end, SONY ????

Surprising electronic items made in third world countries like China have less or no problem at all. My AV Amp, DVD player, CD player, VHS player (all foreign made) all without problem from the moment of plugging in. If look carefully on the back or inside, you see several different stickers which often show that the item has been tested at various stages and also with the tester code in some instances.

Over the years, I have bought five tellies and none had any problem after taking them out of the box. The FQ ??? .............###***!!!!xxxx????### even though it was a SOny product demanding a premium price. To an insult to injury, Sony has not found a fix for the problem and keep on referring customers to dealers who do know what to do.

Where did I go wrong, I ask myself. Relied on the brand name for quality and reliablity and on magazine recommendations and write-up's. Even paid a premium price for the product. WHat do I get ??? Hassle, frustrations, annoyance and anger.

4. fwan

fwan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

For the Personal Attention of Mr Steve Dowdle, MD of Sony UK

Are you happy with this ? I know Sony UK browse these forums. So can we have your comments please

5. Frank2

Frank2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Approx 12 years ago I bought my first Sony TV. This TV came with an extended warranty of 5 years as part of a special promotion.

This TV was a complete disaster and required many repairs. After 4 years the total cost of the repairs exceeded the purchase price.
    The TV technician pointed out that I may be able claim a new TV.

I read the insurance policy. The technician was right. but the policy wasn't very clear. To me, it read like that I could claim a new identical TV.
    For 6 months I argued with the insurance company about the word "identical".
    When I bought the TV it was state-of-the-art. Therefore any new TV should be state-of-the-art too.

In the end we agreed that a KV-2542U TV would be supplied, for which I had to pay only £200.00.
    At the time this was the latest model, typical price was £800.

In August/September 2000 I exchanged the KV-2542U for a KV32FQ75, mainly because I wanted to see the Olympics in wide screen.

Unlike many other owners, my FQ has been working correctly from day 1. The only possible explanation for this could be the fact that I have already had my fair share of Sony faults!

6. Darren_L

Darren_L

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Sony's problems are not just limited to the UK!

Have a look at this thread by one of our American friends.

7. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Manufactured here or assembled here from foreign made components ?

8. Shady Deal

Shady Deal
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    My thread could have been a lot longer with regard to the trouble I had with Sony and the dealer, they really don't give a damn, and didn't even believe the service engineer that condemned the set!!

I forget the last time I saw a passed "Quality Control" sticker on a Tv of any make but Sony take this to the extreme. If my dealer had not been so good and willing to take a lost I would have been £2300 out of pocket.

I used to work for a rental company years ago who used JVC as their standard. Of all the hundreds of sets that passed through my hands very few had serous problems and they were always new!!

Regards