So many options, totally lost on which to buy [UK]

Discussion in 'What Is The Best TV For You?' started by MrHavs, Jun 16, 2018.

1. MrHavs

MrHavs
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm looking for a 4K TV 43-50" in the UK. From what I've read 10 bit panel is what you want with true HDR but apart from that I'm lost. Budget is £500 at an absolute maximum, preferably less. It'll be used mostly for sub 4K content so I'd like good upscaling, I'll be buying a PS4 Pro in the future so being good for gaming is a must.

The ones I'm looking at:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07CFYMH38/ref=twister_B07CQC2RCJ?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Panasonic-...ie=UTF8&qid=1529162684&sr=1-16&keywords=4k+tv

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-MU...&qid=1529162722&sr=1-5&keywords=4k+tv+samsung

Open to suggestions if there are better options.

Thank you for any help.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2018
  2. zeppelino

zeppelino

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +831
    For HDR worth having you’re looking at at least double your budget, if you want a new tv.

If you’re happy to go secondhand then you may be able to pick up a good hdr tv - Samsung KS series, for example.

3. MrHavs

MrHavs
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh, well I can't afford that, and I'd rather go brand new so I guess good HDR is off the table. So at my budget what are the main things I need to look out for? And are any of the 3 I linked any good?

4. zeppelino

zeppelino

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +831
    Panasonic is good, at the price point. Don’t know the TCL - they’re new to Europe. Avoid that Samsung, unless you need wide viewing angles.

Decent guide here -
    https://www.avforums.com/threads/my-best-value-tvs-2017-edition.2120104/ - most in the low range in first post should be available within your budget.

5. MrHavs

MrHavs
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK thanks, I'm guessing they'll still be a nice upgrade over 5 year old 1080p Sony Bravia though right? Even if they're low-mid end? I don't want to burn £500. I currently have a 40" so going to 50% would be nice for sure.

6. zeppelino

zeppelino

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +831
    That, I’m afraid, is not guaranteed. If you can stick to HD and above then it will be a step up.

However. SD is, in the main, poor on 4K sets. Obviously a bigger screen gives more immersion, which can mitigate poor source. The guide I linked before has several links worth reading, including about whether an “upgrade” is worth it.

7. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,051
    @zeppelino has given you already some great advice.

My advice, stick with what you have and upgrade the TV when you get the PS4 pro. No use buying a model now if you don't immediately have plans to utilise new content with it.

It's also a tad concerning you mention upscaling, something UHD TVs aren't the best with if its poor quality SD quality content you are talking about. Good HD and above will be fine though.

Edit* bit depth is of least concern when it comes to HDR, sadly though good HDR carries a large premium. A TV sub £1000 isn't going to display HDR well. Right now you can get a compromise with a model like the Samsung 55MU7000 at around £650+ but its HDR is questionable.