1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So many cables, so few holes

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Control & Remote Controls' started by Mr. Flibble, Jul 5, 2003.

1. Mr. Flibble

Mr. Flibble

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm sure this question has been asked many a time but I couldn't find any answers with a fearch of the forums.

My problem is that I want to connect 2 decoders and one vcr to one port on a projector. And I want it to be IR controlable. Are there any remote controlable SCART switch boxes - something that could be controlled by a programmable remote (eg, the Pronto)?

Also, following the advert on these forums I noticed the RGB to VGA or RGB to componant boxes (http://www.rgbtosvideo.com/). Are these any use, whats the benifit of this over getting a RGB scart to VGA cable?

2. Mr. Flibble

Mr. Flibble

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have found the following products that seem to be what I'm looking for: Holdan HSR1000 (www.holdan.co.uk), Trilogy 1(http://www.threedoubleyou.com/quattroscart.htm) and another one which I can't find again :-/

Has anyone had any experience with either of these? Would both be controllable by a Pronto? Which should I go for!!? :)

3. TheBigApple

TheBigApple

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I have the Holdan. It is a very well built switcher, much more solid than the quintro.

I have managed to programme the remote for use on my Marantz RC200 MK2.

The only thing it really lacks is wide screen switching support.

4. Mr. Flibble

Mr. Flibble

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Great. Can you choose an input directly with it or do you have to scroll through them untill you reach the one you want?

5. Mr. Flibble

Mr. Flibble

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I found the third one I was looking at earlier: KEENE Scart Commander (http://www.keene.co.uk/system/keene.htm).

It is a fair bit more expensive than the Holdan, but I can't see any advantages of it. Am I missing any?

6. TheBigApple

TheBigApple

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    While the Holdan won't support WSS it will automaticaly switch to what ever device you power up.

To select an input manualy you have to scroll through.

7. Mr. Flibble

Mr. Flibble

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, thankyou all for the info. I think I'll go with the Holdan.