So last night my Panny went pop!

Discussion in 'What Is The Best TV For You?' started by Monkey666, Nov 2, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Monkey666

Monkey666
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    my 8 year old 42" plasma died last night.....moments silence please......

So today I am looking at a quick purchase new TV. Got £1000 to spend, no more...prefer less.

About to drive down to Curry's and get a Samsung UE55MU7070 (going to try and haggle down to Richer Sounds price of 920 that they have the 7000 for).

Also seen the Panny TX-58EX700B at 869.....is it worth saving £50 and getting an extra 3 inches?

I also saw that RS have several 55" Sony and Samsung at 650 and 699....am I getting much extra for the money at the 950 price point.

I'd normally do my research and spend time in stores looking before I buy....but as our period of mourning expires when I get home tonight......emergency!

2. Monkey666

Monkey666
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've also just seen that Curry's are doing the Panasonic TX-55EX580B at 799 with an extra 100 off with a discount code.....I can't find much information about it.

3. EndlessWaves

EndlessWaves
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,535
    Not particularly, it is either side of it that's most attractive right now. The more expensive TVs like the Sony XE90/XE93 for their HDR ability and the B7/C7 for the advantages of the new OLED display technology.

The 55" Sony XE70 and Samsung MU61 models are popular mainstream choices although unless you're watching HDCP2.2/4K stuff I'd lean towards the Full HD options like the M5500 as the SD scaling is better.

£1000 models like the XE85 and MU7000 (and EX750 when it drops in price) are undoubtedly better TVs but they're more traditional smaller improvements. They do have better support for motion improving technologies though (processing/BFI/etc.), which may be attractive coming from a plasma.

The Panasonics are still oddly expensive. The EX700 is a decent TV but more around the £600-700 level and I wouldn't consider the lower EX models.

LG's LCDs are focused on usability rather than image quality. They're popular generally but not for typical low light home cinema setups.

Hisense are popular of late. They're a big chinese company that's been selling aggressively priced models over the last few years, although their line-up isn't as strong this year as it was last year. If you come across an N6800 it's worth a look, maybe the N5500/N5700 too.

Philips UK availability is patchy at the moment so you probably won't see any and the other names are house brands these days (Toshiba, JVC, Hitatchi, Sharp etc.)

4. Monkey666

Monkey666
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I pulled the trigger on the 55" 7070 from Currys.

We got the 4k blu-ray free as part of the bundle and the 5 year warranty. They wouldn't budge on price but TBH we'd have spent 30 quid driving to Birmingham to get the cheaper 7000 from RS.

5. Monkey666

Monkey666
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    iT'S NOT UNBOXED YET.....TELL ME IF ITS A MISTAKE....

6. EndlessWaves

EndlessWaves
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,535
    An MU7000 and Blu-ray UHD Player for £950 is a perfectly reasonable purchase, I wouldn't count on a Currys warranty for much though.

7. Monkey666

Monkey666
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I didn't take out any extra warranty, just a 5 year Samsung guarantee.

8. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,356