1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So ive got a Panny ae500 vid projector,Denon 2805 amp,EVO 3b speakers,need DVD player

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by pez, Sep 7, 2004.

1. pez

pez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Sorry for the length of the thread title!

im new to these parts of avforums, as ive normally run DVD video from PCs into my projector to get 1280x720 res and per pixel mapping (and stunning quality from it too!).

but ive now built a setup that at present is miles away from the nearest pc in the house, so im after a DVD player.

Video projector is a Panasonic PT-AE500E with VGA, DVI-D, Composite, and RGB Scart on it, my Receiver/Amp is a Denon 2805 with both Optical and CoAxial digital inputs on it, as well as multichannel analog in (8 chanel in) with runs to my new Acoustic Energy EVO 3b 5.1 speaker set (soon to add another 2 rears to that).

so im looking for a DVD player that obviously can output the digital signals for me to the amp (but im impressed by the sound my ps2 is outputting, as the sound processing is being handled by the Denon amp its not a big issue with DVD players is it?), and either Progressive Scan via Component video or DVI to the Panasonic AE500 projector.

What Hi Fi recommends the Pioneer DV-575A for midrange setups, is it any good? does it do prog scan, or can it output via DVI (is DVI that much better than Component? ive not seen either, as i usually run RGB scart or VGA).

any competitors that are worth a look?

pez

2. Barend

Barend

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Denon 2910 or 3910 are the way to go.
    Wait till Xmas and the 2910 will be offered for a better price I'm sure.
    Barend

3. pez

pez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    cant see either of those on the Denon UK web site.

pez

4. Benrudd1

Benrudd1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    Hi,
    Take a look at the soon to be released Denons on avland.co.uk

as barend said the 2910 and 3910 look good but are way dearer than the pioneer you mention. However the 1910 is only £229,95 and includes the all important dvi connection.

I was going to get one for my ae300 but it isn't hdcp compatible whereas your ae500 is :mad:

Should be good

In terms of sound quality you will notice a difference between players even over the digital connection, my limit a900 sounds way better for films than my panny e55 recorder. Denon players are usually good.

Hope this helps

5. Barend

Barend

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Didn't know the 1910 has dvi, sorry.
    And all info can be found on the American Denon Site.
    Barend

6. pez

pez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    "In terms of sound quality you will notice a difference between players even over the digital connection"

this is what i dont understand, my thinking is that its digital data, its got error correction routines built in to accurately rebuild missing segments of data, Dolby and DTS send data in chuncks to the Decoders, and they have more error correction built in to accurately fill in the blanks so to speak.

digital data has to be good or it doesnt work, surely.

pez

7. JohnMulcahy

JohnMulcahy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    The problem is not the data itself, but the fact that the receiver/processor must extract both the data and the associated clock. S/PDIF uses bi-phase encoding to send both clock and data over a single line, the receiver must extract the clock from the stream and use it to synchronise its internal processing and, more importantly, to generate the clock signals used by the audio DACs. Jitter in the extracted clock leads to audible degradations in the analog outputs of the DACs, the lower the jitter of the source S/PDIF stream the easier a time the receiver will have in producing a low jitter clock to drive the DACs, and the better the audio quality.

8. Benrudd1

Benrudd1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    Yup. what John said. :confused: :eek: :D

You would think there would be no difference. But to my ears at least I can definately hear one.
    Voices particularly sound better on the limit than the panny.

However I only really notice when doing a back to back comparison.

It could be all in my mind. But then I'm content because I know it sounds better to me :smashin:

9. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +927
    I noticed a difference between optical and coaxial, but there is no noticeable difference (to my ears anyway) between the optical out on my hcpc and the optical out on my pio 757.

10. pez

pez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    jitter is indeed a problem with PCM, but due to the way dolby digital and dts work its not an issue there.

pez

11. JohnMulcahy

JohnMulcahy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Afraid it is, the block-based coding structure of DD and DTS makes no difference to the basic problem, which is producing a jitter-free clock for the decoded PCM streams which feed the DACs. The S/PDIF input is the basic reference for this clock, unless you are fortunate enough to have a processor/player combination which will slave the player's clock to that in the processor such that the processor's clock is the master (e.g. TAG McLaren DVD32R and AV32R or AV192R with sync link).