So is it 65 or 77 then?

yuriythebest

Standard Member
Hi guys! This thread is a spiritual success or to my "choosing a 55 v.s. 65 oled" thread, where I originally assumed 55' was already enough but soon realized how wrong I was. Many people there suggested going as far as 75 inches, so seeing how for me a tv would be a long-term purchase, hopefully for 10+ years, I might as well go for broke (haha, not a bad turn of phrase when talking about larger tv's).

my viewing distance: approx 2.5m (8.2 feet), the room itself is wider at 3.3m, but if you account for things such as the couch + head distance from the wall, and the distance of the tv from the wall it will be around 2.5 (maaybe I could stretch it to 2.7 but that's really pushing it)

tv in question: either the "safe" LG CX 65, or the larger LG CX 77

my biggest question/worry is this: Sure, for 4K content at this distance it should be OK, and YES I've used the viewing distance calculators/seen the THX/RTINGS recommendations ( my distance is right at the "edge" between 65 and 75), but what about 1080p? Right now so much content is still in 1080, and I'm afraid with the added screen size the content will look blurry.
Thanks in advance!

Mr Wolf

For a dedicated movie viewing room I'd go with the 77" without hesitation but if it's a TV for normal mixed usage then I'd go 65". It not just about the potential for visible pixilation on 1080P material (which will vary from person to person), the field of view would be too great for me for a normal (non-movie) stuff.

It's a big decision though so, if it were me, I'd be visiting TV dealer showrooms with a tape measure and literally seeing it for myself.

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Hi guys! This thread is a spiritual success or to my "choosing a 55 v.s. 65 oled" thread, where I originally assumed 55' was already enough but soon realized how wrong I was. Many people there suggested going as far as 75 inches, so seeing how for me a tv would be a long-term purchase, hopefully for 10+ years, I might as well go for broke (haha, not a bad turn of phrase when talking about larger tv's).

my viewing distance: approx 2.5m (8.2 feet), the room itself is wider at 3.3m, but if you account for things such as the couch + head distance from the wall, and the distance of the tv from the wall it will be around 2.5 (maaybe I could stretch it to 2.7 but that's really pushing it)

tv in question: either the "safe" LG CX 65, or the larger LG CX 77

my biggest question/worry is this: Sure, for 4K content at this distance it should be OK, and YES I've used the viewing distance calculators/seen the THX/RTINGS recommendations ( my distance is right at the "edge" between 65 and 75), but what about 1080p? Right now so much content is still in 1080, and I'm afraid with the added screen size the content will look blurry.
Thanks in advance!

I don`t have dedicated room, but in my last apartment i had 106" screen and projector (1080p) and the watching distance wasn`t much larger than yours. I didn´t have any issues, after some time i wished i would have gone to 120" straight. So for me it would be tough to imagine situation that 77" tv would be too large for daily watching. Your eyes get used to new size in few weeks. My money would go to 77" no doubt. This is something 99% people regret soon if they pick the smaller tv... Have heard it so many times. And as you said it`s long term purchase for the next 10years so definitely the larger one would make even more sense. Keep us posted what you decide!

yuriythebest

Standard Member
For a dedicated movie viewing room I'd go with the 77" without hesitation but if it's a TV for normal mixed usage then I'd go 65". It not just about the potential for visible pixilation on 1080P material (which will vary from person to person), the field of view would be too great for me for a normal (non-movie) stuff.
Thanks for your reply, what would you consider "mixed usage?" My main usages would be tv shows, movies and looking at DSLR photos, and also it would be the only tv in the house ( except for computer monitors), I don't have a habit of leaving the news/sports/etc on in the background, so I guess I fall into "movie usage" even if that includes tv shows?

I did visit Ukraine's equivalents of best buy to check out the sizes and simulated the approximate distance, however I don't think it is really informative since there everything is bright and the content is 4k

- so you think if it's 77 not 65 I can begin to expect some noticeable increase pixelation/bluriness at roughly 2.5m/8 feet?

Mr Wolf

I’ve just done an experiment for you. I have a 60” Samsung TV in my living room system and I‘ve just measured 72” as being the closest I could sit to it without getting an obvious “screen door” effect with a 1080P image. That’s a distance ratio of 1.2x the diagonal width of the screen.

If it’s the same for your LG 77” screen that 1.2x ratio would be 7.7 feet so at 8.2 feet you should be OK although I guess this might vary according to different screens and the acuity of your eyesight.

Re. the mixed usage thing, if you mainly watch movies and TV shows on it then I wouldn’t worry about 77” being too large.

yuriythebest

Standard Member
I’ve just done an experiment for you. I have a 60” Samsung TV in my living room system and I‘ve just measured 72” as being the closest I could sit to it without getting an obvious “screen door” effect with a 1080P image. That’s a distance ratio of 1.2x the diagonal width of the screen.

If it’s the same for your LG 77” screen that 1.2x ratio would be 7.7 feet so at 8.2 feet you should be OK although I guess this might vary according to different screens and the acuity of your eyesight.

Re. the mixed usage thing, if you mainly watch movies and TV shows on it then I wouldn’t worry about 77” being too large.
Wow dude you are amazing! Seems I indeed fall in the "sweet spot" where 77 is fine.
Again with my every created thread I end up being in awe of this forum's helpful community

Mashie Saldana

I have a 65" OLED at a distance of 2.4m, next year I will swap that for an 83" OLED.

At this distance and 4k resolution the sweet spot is an 85" screen.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom